Home Technical Talk

baking materials with xNormal

zombie420
polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
zombie420 polycounter lvl 10
I have multiple shaders on my high poly to distinguish materials but don't know how to export them/ import them into xNormal. Usually I just bake using maya's diffuse map but with my custom cage in xNormal that isn't really an option anymore. Any ideas?

Replies

• Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    Why don't you baking only your normalmap in xnormal, and the others in maya? I don't think that you can import materials into xnormal.
  • zombie420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm worried that the custom cage in xNormal will result in things not quite lining up?
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    zombie420 wrote: »
    I'm worried that the custom cage in xNormal will result in things not quite lining up?

Could you wording it a little differently? Cause I don't really understand what you want to say this.:poly122:
  • ghaztehschmexeh

Make your own cage and import it into xnormal.
  • zombie420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i'm not sure i know how to do that. any tuts?
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    i'm not sure i know how to do that. any tuts?

No real need for a tutorial. A cage is just a mesh. Duplicate your low poly (make sure it's triangulated). Use modifiers like push (in max), move verts around just don't change the topology. Export it as a .obj. When you've imported your lowpoly into xnormal, right click the box again and "browse external cage".
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A. Just bake your color mask in Maya, I use Maya for normals/color and XN to bake AO all the time and don't have much issue with stuff lining up(every once in a while a floater gets weird though).

B. If you can easily split up your highpoly meshes into separate OBJ files per material type, Xnormal has some option to bake a color map with random colors. I forget where the option is. This can be annoying if you have partial face selections, you would need to break those meshes apart.

C. You can do really ugly uvs, and make an image map with big squares for the colors you want, then simply drag the uvs for each bit to the correct sqaure on your uvs... UV's don't have to be good, just a simple planar map will do (I can make an image for you if this doesn't make sense). Then load the color texture map into the highpoly base texture slot in the highpoly input section of XN.