Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Full male Body - University Assignment

Hey guys, One of my assignments at university is to create a full body model, textured, retop and the rest. So i'm just going to be showing progress as i do it and ask for feedback along the way (due to this being part of the marks in the final report).

So here is a video and some images of the base mesh i had created before going into zbrush. Since the video i worked on many aspects including the face, upper torso and the hands.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crRZAZVpbiE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crRZAZVpbiE[/ame]

FrontWire_zpsd363f4b8.jpg

perspectiveWire_zpscb9c62c3.jpg

Don't worry i'm not asking feedback for that as the tutors gave me it. So here are some images of my sculpt. If you want anymore let me know and i will post more but i am asking for feedback on how it compares to the reference images.

So here is the guy I am creating:

ReferenceImage1_zps7f90c5fa.jpg

ReferenceImage2_zps2676157a.jpg

ReferenceImage3_zps3b3df34c.jpg

ReferenceImage4_zpsfd121c17.jpg

ReferenceImage5_zps7d62ea5c.jpg

And here are some images of my finished sculpt. Please any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

SculptFront_zpsae2a6158.jpg

SculptSide_zpsc423fe44.jpg

SculptPerspective_zps089ca694.jpg

SculptHead_zps84cc7ae3.jpg

SculptEar_zps097c4518.jpg

SculptFoot_zps574d5419.jpg

SculptHand_zps416a60a0.jpg

SculptUpperTorso_zps12826470.jpg

SculptBack_zps5cb5049f.jpg

Will update ASAP with feecback from the comments.

Replies

• Vertrucio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vertrucio greentooth
    Go back to subdivision level 1 and get your forms right before moving on to higher subdivisions.

You're also starting out with way too much detail in your base mesh. I've had the same problem.

Just make sure you do not move forward until you nail the base model.
  • Csenary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Csenary polycounter lvl 12
    Do what Vertrucio says, go back to your base mesh and fix those issues first. Right now he is a little too square, fix the proportions. Keep going though:)
  • kevino025
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kevino025 polycounter lvl 10
    Not to keep on saying whats been said but, do go to the first subdivision level and focus on the proportions and silhouette of the model. Im pretty sure this happens to everyone when they start using zbrush. Only go higher when its needed.

Cheers!
  • Dilkesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback about the base mesh, should i have not done as much detail around the hands and feet or was it the pectorals were i didn't need to do more detai.

In terms of the character being too square i agree that my base mesh was too square however from the feedback from the tutors that was sorted before going to sculpting. Perhaps a turntable of the sculpt would have been better than just images however i can assure you the sculpt is not square in the slightest.

You guys also mentioned about the proportions and silhouette of the mesh. Was that referring to the sculpt or the base mesh and it what way does it need to be sorted? For now i'm going to work on the shoulders and arms to make them suit the reference images more.

Any reply would be great

Dilkesy
  • Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    Hey Dilkesy,

It's not that there are any specific details that need to be removed, it's that you started moving onto details before your base form was correct. And some of the forms DO appear a little boxy still, even though you obviously improved it from the base mesh. Right now the overall form and silhouette just doesn't look natural, and is not matching up to your ref. Are you always comparing to your ref while sculpting?

You really need to look and critically analyze your model in comparison to photos and real life. Just a quick example - take a look at the side view of the head on your sculpt, compare that to the side view in the ref. Really examine it. You should be able to tell there are some problems here. The cranium is oddly long and flat, the eyes are a bit too high, the ear a bit too far back, and the connection to the neck is not accurate. There are structure and proportion issues like this throughout your model.

It looks like your screenshots were taken in orthographic, it would be interesting to see in perspective.

Please change your material to a grey or something like that, sculpting in the default red wax is not ideal.

Also, I am not some big shot industry pro, but there are a lot of pro guys on here. Chances are most of the people who would reply here have way more knowledge and experience working with things like this than your university tutors, and beside that the people here are more apt to push you toward creating better work than they will. In the end the university just wants you to meet their standards, but the people here will be comparing you to professionals, and pushing you to achieve the very best with your model.

I am generalizing a bit here, obviously I don't know the experience of your tutors, I'm just trying to say that you should never discredit or ignore feedback here (or anyplace else) because your tutors said it was OK.

Anyway, keep it up!
  • Dilkesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku wrote: »
    Hey Dilkesy,

It's not that there are any specific details that need to be removed, it's that you started moving onto details before your base form was correct. And some of the forms DO appear a little boxy still, even though you obviously improved it from the base mesh. Right now the overall form and silhouette just doesn't look natural, and is not matching up to your ref. Are you always comparing to your ref while sculpting?

You really need to look and critically analyze your model in comparison to photos and real life. Just a quick example - take a look at the side view of the head on your sculpt, compare that to the side view in the ref. Really examine it. You should be able to tell there are some problems here. The cranium is oddly long and flat, the eyes are a bit too high, the ear a bit too far back, and the connection to the neck is not accurate. There are structure and proportion issues like this throughout your model.

It looks like your screenshots were taken in orthographic, it would be interesting to see in perspective.

Please change your material to a grey or something like that, sculpting in the default red wax is not ideal.

Also, I am not some big shot industry pro, but there are a lot of pro guys on here. Chances are most of the people who would reply here have way more knowledge and experience working with things like this than your university tutors, and beside that the people here are more apt to push you toward creating better work than they will. In the end the university just wants you to meet their standards, but the people here will be comparing you to professionals, and pushing you to achieve the very best with your model.

I am generalizing a bit here, obviously I don't know the experience of your tutors, I'm just trying to say that you should never discredit or ignore feedback here (or anyplace else) because your tutors said it was OK.

Anyway, keep it up!

Thanks man for the great feedback.

So first off i do keep on checking the refs as i am sculpting however i would prefer to have them on my second screen and sculpt on my main screen, however due to me using my graphics tablet the accuracy is dramatically decreased when using both. So i find myself getting carried away sometimes with my sculpting without checking my ref images.

Secondly thank you for giving an example for what was wrong with my sculpt. I have since analysed the head and noticed what you meant. What exactly was wrong with the neck area? i have added in the main tendons at the front but unsure as to what is wrong with it.

I am unsure as to how to render the images properly in zbrush. I just used the export tool under the document tab.

Also what grey material would you recommend? There are quite a few to choose from.

Also thanks for the comment about the tutors. I suppose i always saw the tutors at university as industry pros and reflecting back on this module i should have posted my base mesh up on polycount as well as various others.

I will post up all the changes later and i will do a turntable for it. I have always struggled for a good setup to showcase my work. Would you happen to have any links or advice for me.

Thanks,

Dilkesy
  • Faltzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree with everything that has been said so far.

Your shoulders are too pronounce and your arms are too thick.

You also need to lower and scale down the size of your trapezius (I think that's what is called), lower down the chest and increase the thickness of the leg and move the belly button higher .

LqZx5DW.png

Your hand is too stiff and your foot is too bulgie IMO

Here are 2 images that you can use to guide your self
    susan_hand_zbrush.jpg

challenge03_FeetZbrush_Lrg.jpg
  • Dilkesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Faltzer wrote: »
    I agree with everything that has been said so far.

Your shoulders are too pronounce and your arms are too thick.

You also need to lower and scale down the size of your trapezius (I think that's what is called), lower down the chest and increase the thickness of the leg and move the belly button higher .

LqZx5DW.png

Your hand is too stiff and your foot is too bulgie IMO

Here are 2 images that you can use to guide your self
    susan_hand_zbrush.jpg

challenge03_FeetZbrush_Lrg.jpg

Thanks for all the great help Faltzer. Before you replied i had already worked on the arms and shoulders to how you said they should be. Thanks for that great comparison image, i plan to use that for the future as well. Also thanks for the images of the hand and foot, i wish i was that skilled in adding details.

One day....

Dilkesy
  • Faltzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dilkesy wrote: »
    Thanks for all the great help Faltzer. Before you replied i had already worked on the arms and shoulders to how you said they should be. Thanks for that great comparison image, i plan to use that for the future as well. Also thanks for the images of the hand and foot, i wish i was that skilled in adding details.

One day....

Dilkesy

No problem :), and don't worry about the details for now and just focus more on the overall shape.
  • Dilkesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No problem :), and don't worry about the details for now and focus on the overall shape.

Will do, i'm running low on time right now so got to get on with it. I will make the changes tomorrow morning and then post up again, however i need to get to painting it soon, retop, unwrap and then render and report. I'm looking for really nice ways of showcasing my work. If you have any tips or advice it would be greatly appreciated
  • Dilkesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys here is a quick update, made a turntable this time to show off the sculpt more. The last couple of things to do are the hands and feet and then onto the alpha mapping

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WM5zBgQSa78
  • Dilkesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwF4vxPi4u4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwF4vxPi4u4[/ame]

This is my final sculpt for now. I have added alpha maps and worked on the hands and feet more. If you guys have any feedback please do tell me as i plan to go back to this character after this module and work harder on him
  • Dilkesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwF4vxPi4u4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwF4vxPi4u4[/ame]

This is my final sculpt for now. I have added alpha maps and worked on the hands and feet more. If you guys have any feedback please do tell me as i plan to go back to this character after this module and work harder on him
  • Dilkesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys i've done the retop and just onto the unwrap. I've been told i need to do hair for my character as well so should i do that during the retop and then unwrap 1 square of the hair and duplicate it over the head? i'm abit confused on this part of the pipeline so any help would be appreciated
  • DiegoTeran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DiegoTeran polycounter lvl 11
    I honestly would have gone back and kept working on your shape a lot more.

not to be mean ro anything but an unfinished model will look unfinished even if you finish it... does that make sense?

take your time, go back, work out the shape, get your proportions right. and then move on.
  • Dilkesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Turista wrote: »
    I honestly would have gone back and kept working on your shape a lot more.

not to be mean ro anything but an unfinished model will look unfinished even if you finish it... does that make sense?

take your time, go back, work out the shape, get your proportions right. and then move on.

hmm fair advice, the issue is the time constraint, i don't have the spare time to spend any longer in sculpting. I will however over summer and in that time i plan to go back to the sculpt and work on the mesh
  • DiegoTeran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmm fair advice, the issue is the time constraint, i don't have the spare time to spend any longer in sculpting. I will however over summer and in that time i plan to go back to the sculpt and work on the mesh

yea its good practice. go to your lowest sub and move stuff around. thats where i spend a lot of my time. a clean basic shape will go a long way.
  • Dilkesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    could you tell me exactly what is wrong with it? i think i fear how many polys i am using and therefore don't get the correct shape i want
  • DiegoTeran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well i can tell you its super super suuuuuuper high right now for the amount of work and detail it has. its just the overall shape, you really need to just go way back and work on that.

your guys is super blocky. its needs better flow,

the penis area ( take that block off and sculpt something in there, doesnt need to be a penis but give it a little nudge or something. i dont understand why people get offended... its art -_- anyways. work on that.

example.

http://www.exchange3d.com/images/uploads/aff2861/Male%20Body/Male_Body_01.jpg

dont try so hard to make it your model look like your concept. just get the overall shape correct. get some more references

i dont recommend sculpting from other sculpts but if it helps you out a little give it a shot. ( as reference ) dont follow what they do. remember they might have mistakes also... unless its scott eaton.. he is the boss lol

http://www.scott-eaton.com/

so again,

step 1: go back. way back

step 2: work on your overall shape and form

step 3: find more references.

step 4: kick ass :)
  • Dilkesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Turista wrote: »
    well i can tell you its super super suuuuuuper high right now for the amount of work and detail it has. its just the overall shape, you really need to just go way back and work on that.

your guys is super blocky. its needs better flow,

the penis area ( take that block off and sculpt something in there, doesnt need to be a penis but give it a little nudge or something. i dont understand why people get offended... its art -_- anyways. work on that.

example.

http://www.exchange3d.com/images/uploads/aff2861/Male%20Body/Male_Body_01.jpg

dont try so hard to make it your model look like your concept. just get the overall shape correct. get some more references

i dont recommend sculpting from other sculpts but if it helps you out a little give it a shot. ( as reference ) dont follow what they do. remember they might have mistakes also... unless its scott eaton.. he is the boss lol

http://www.scott-eaton.com/

so again,

step 1: go back. way back

step 2: work on your overall shape and form

step 3: find more references.

step 4: kick ass :)

thanks man will work on it when i finish all my other work
  • Dilkesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys i just went to do my polypaint and imported my retop from max and got this lovely bug. My other sculpts work fine but this one is weird.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AM_um0yO3Mk&feature=youtu.be
  • Alemja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja hero character
    That has happened to me before in order to fix it you have to go back into max, select all of the faces on your mesh in editable poly and click "flip" then re-import into zbrush.
  • Dilkesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja wrote: »
    That has happened to me before in order to fix it you have to go back into max, select all of the faces on your mesh in editable poly and click "flip" then re-import into zbrush.

thanks
  • Dilkesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys i'm really struggling with the whole poly painting, if anyone could give me any advice or tutorial links that would be great. the university slides are... well let's just say not very good :p
  • Dilkesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys i'm really struggling with the whole poly painting, if anyone could give me any advice or tutorial links that would be great. the university slides are... well let's just say not very good :p
  • Dilkesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Go back and get portions right. Go to your lowest Sub D and you an easily fix the model in less then a hour if you use reference. Then move on to the next step.

i've already gone past the whole sculpting part, if i did that then i would need to retop and unwrap again and i simply don't have the time for that i'm afraid. I will go back to the sculpt once i have finished though
  • Dilkesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If your school is anything like the one I attended then they would understand quality out weighs if you finish a project or not. I would guarantee if you completed a character with great anatomy even if it was not game res or textured they would totally be fine with it. If a school gives you a good grade based on unfinished looking work that is not even industry standard then you need to find a new school because that school is only about money and not seeing you succeed in the industry. If I was teaching a class on sculpting or the creation of a game character I would have no problem giving a A+ to someone that worked hard on there anatomy sculpt, With that said I would also have no problem giving a big F to a individual that did the whole process but had horrible anatomy. You said 10 days ago that you were running out of time for this character. based on your post all the way to today you had plenty of time to correct the anatomy game res and texture it you just ether slacked off or chose not to listen. Word of advice if you want to make it any place in the industry you better be willing to accept crtiq and do as people say or you will never improve as a artist and never find a job.

Hey man sorry if i came across abit rude in my reply before I think i need to explain abit more. First off the project is not just to make a sculpt and unfortunately that is worth 18% of the overall marks of the project. If the sculpt was worth a lot more than i would do as you say and go back. The issue is that retopping, unwrapping and texturing is worth more and if i spend too much time on the sculpt then i lose a lot of marks in other areas. I mean the report is worth 40% which is crazy IMO. Also unfortunately this assignment is not my only one else i could spend all my time on it. I also have motion capture, character animation and games design in which we are building a game. So in those 10 days i was also working on my other modules and making sure i don't just get a 1st in my modelling but also in my other projects. Don't get me wrong i listened to all the feedback and tried my hardest to fix what i could. To be honest i could have probably worked longer into the nights to fix the core anatomy of my sculpt and looking back on this assignment i wish i had planned my time a lot better. However i can't go back in time and i certainly can't get any extra time, therefore i had to set a point in which i couldn't keep on going back to sculpt and had to move on to retop and all the rest.

However don't think that this is the end of the assignment once i hand it in. I plan to go back to the sculpt and keep on updating this thread and keep on getting more and more feedback.

Unfortunately I can't spend any more time on the sculpt and now i have had to postpone doing the polypaint as i need to find a decent tutorial to help me with it (i suck at texturing). However i hope i can count on you as one of the people to help me learn and become a better artist as at the end of the day, i want a job doing this.

Dilkesy
  • Dilkesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wish my lecturers were as focussed on the sculpt but i highly doubt they would say well you did an amazing sculpt so we can forget about the report and the low poly and give you a 1st xD
  • Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If a school gives you a good grade based on unfinished looking work that is not even industry standard then you need to find a new school because that school is only about money and not seeing you succeed in the industry.
    I don't necessarily agree with this statement (although all schools are just about money for the most part). Deadlines are important in the industry and if the school is pushing a student to meet certain tasks by certain deadlines I would say they ARE trying to prepare them for the industry. If a project is to get a fully textured low poly character and a student turns in a decent looking sculpt as their final, that will probably amount in an F. Just like if you're working a job to make a game res character, and at the deadline all you have is a decent sculpt... you might get fired.

I agree with a lot of your points. The OP has a lot to learn and the sculpt is not at an ideal stage, but he is probably inexperienced in the other aspects such as texturing as well, so it is a good thing he will be moving on to get practice with that as well.

To the original poster: You seem to have a good attitude and have been fairly receptive to feedback, and that's a good thing. Get this project to where you need it to be for the class, while learning as much as you can in the process. Then, I suggest you start some more projects outside of class and continue to post those here, so that you can apply what you've learned on this project, and work at a pace where you can go back and make corrections without worrying about a deadline for school.

Also remember, the majority of relevant info you're going to learn on game art will not be taught to you at almost any school. You will have to do a ton of research online, watch tutorials, and post questions here. It can be hard to work on personal projects and do a bunch of studying outside of school while still trying to maintain good grades, but it is very important that you do so to give you your best chance at success.
  • Dilkesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't necessarily agree with this statement (although all schools are just about money for the most part). Deadlines are important in the industry and if the school is pushing a student to meet certain tasks by certain deadlines I would say they ARE trying to prepare them for the industry. If a project is to get a fully textured low poly character and a student turns in a decent looking sculpt as their final, that will probably amount in an F. Just like if you're working a job to make a game res character, and at the deadline all you have is a decent sculpt... you might get fired.

I agree with a lot of your points. The OP has a lot to learn and the sculpt is not at an ideal stage, but he is probably inexperienced in the other aspects such as texturing as well, so it is a good thing he will be moving on to get practice with that as well.

To the original poster: You seem to have a good attitude and have been fairly receptive to feedback, and that's a good thing. Get this project to where you need it to be for the class, while learning as much as you can in the process. Then, I suggest you start some more projects outside of class and continue to post those here, so that you can apply what you've learned on this project, and work at a pace where you can go back and make corrections without worrying about a deadline for school.

Also remember, the majority of relevant info you're going to learn on game art will not be taught to you at almost any school. You will have to do a ton of research online, watch tutorials, and post questions here. It can be hard to work on personal projects and do a bunch of studying outside of school while still trying to maintain good grades, but it is very important that you do so to give you your best chance at success.

Thanks Wax for the great feedback and understanding my view. And don't worry i have a lot of tutorials set up for summer and i do have a placement for next year in which i will be learning from other artists so my experience of the next 2 years will sky rocket. I do have a lot of plans of summer to do various work however i have also got to get a full time summer job to pay my way for my placement year. I will become an active member on here and look through the forums as much as i can to help advance my skills. I just can't get my head around this bloody polypaint :p
  • Faltzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dilkesy I am going to be honest with you. Also please don't quote me on this because this was just my experience but I believed most game art related schools are a huge waste of time. Sure you might learn all the fancy tools on a 3d packet by attending one but you can easily do the same thing online for free.
  • Dilkesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I believe most game art related schools are a huge waste of time. Sure you might learn all the fancy tools on a 3d packet by attending one but you can easily do the same thing online for free.

Well a lot of the stuff i have learnt from the tutors and also researched about online. I suppose i am doing both of the options and learning 2 different methods of doing things.
  • Faltzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well a lot of the stuff i have learnt from the tutors and also researched about online. I suppose i am doing both of the options and learning 2 different methods of doing things.

Why you don't let me finish editing my post >:O.

Well I'll just give you an example of how far I got by going to an art school for 2 years.

http://faltzer2142.deviantart.com/art/Lyla-291739230?q=gallery%3Afaltzer2142%2F38323640&qo=1

Horrible right :).

And this is how much I progress in 3 months by watching online tutorials and examples here in polycount.

http://faltzer2142.deviantart.com/art/Female-Thief-Remake-D-342282862?q=gallery%3Afaltzer2142%2F29252281&qo=3

Still bad but please notice the huge improvement.

I do agree with what you said about everybody having their different methods of learning .
  • Dilkesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Why you don't let me finish editing my post >:O.

Well I'll just give you an example of how far I got by going to an art school for 2 years.

http://faltzer2142.deviantart.com/art/Lyla-291739230?q=gallery%3Afaltzer2142%2F38323640&qo=1

Horrible right :).

And this is how far I got in 3 months by just watching tutorials and others peoples work here in polycount

http://faltzer2142.deviantart.com/art/Female-Thief-Remake-D-342282862?q=gallery%3Afaltzer2142%2F29252281&qo=3

Still bad but please notice the huge improvement.

I honestly don't see a big difference :p but maybe that's just because i don't know what is so bad about the first image
  • Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Faltzer is right to an extent. For this industry having a degree doesn't mean much, it's the quality of your work. You can find all of the information you would going to school and so much more for free online. I have known people who skipped school completely and just taught themselves, and are now gainfully employed as artists.

Just because you CAN do that does not mean it's the best option for everybody. Honestly, I did not know exactly what I wanted to do or specialize in before going to college, and I was rather undisciplined. Had I not gone to art school I'd probably be sitting around in my underwear drawing fanart right now. Even though i quickly learned that art school was inadequate for teaching me all I would need to get a job, it did get me motivated, gave me a well-rounded education and experience with tools and areas of specialization I never would have touched on my own, and it gave me plenty of great personal connections.

So, yes, you can learn everything (and more) you would learn at school at home, for free. But would you have the discipline to? Would you have even know what you really enjoyed doing before school? My point here is, although you really do not need to go to college learn what you need for a game art job, that does not mean it's a bad idea or that you should drop out or anything.
  • Dilkesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think that is a key to learn whether in education or not. Self motivation
  • Dilkesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    any help with polypaint? the slides i got are terrible in terms of teaching me
  • Dilkesy
  • Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Honestly, just google it and watch some videos. Lots of tutorials out there covering polypainting.

Also, the zbrush tutorials on Pixologic's site are pretty great and definitely worth watching.
    http://pixologic.com/zclassroom/homeroom/lesson/painting-techniques/
  • Dilkesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What do you need help with when it comes to polypaint?

It's mostly the toning. I get how you have the base layer and then some areas are meant to be lighter than others but i just can't seem to get a nice base colour. I took it from the reference but when i put it on the model it just looked weird and wrong. I suppose i am looking for help in making a human skin polypaint
  • Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's mostly the toning. I get how you have the base layer and then some areas are meant to be lighter than others but i just can't seem to get a nice base colour. I took it from the reference but when i put it on the model it just looked weird and wrong. I suppose i am looking for help in making a human skin polypaint

What matcap are you using? If you're using the default red wax or something it is bound to look kind of messed up. There are some zbrush materials designed specifically for polypainting, they're pretty much just white I believe. Lots of people have made custom matcaps that are good for this too that you can find online.
  • Dilkesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What matcap are you using? If you're using the default red wax or something it is bound to look kind of messed up. There are some zbrush materials designed specifically for polypainting, they're pretty much just white I believe. Lots of people have made custom matcaps that are good for this too that you can find online.

so the underlying matcap has a difference on the polypaint? wow okay. Well i have found this one: http://hazardousarts.deviantart.com/art/Zbrush-Skin-Material-332639261 and it looks quite nice. So do i put this on and then just have white and black colours chosen and just tone certain areas on separate layers and then change the opacity on them or select the basic colour and have slightly dark and lighter versions as the 2 colours i can paint with?

Sorry if these are stupid questions i'm just struggling a bit to understand.
  • ExcessiveZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    im going to give you a tip man on anatomical study, because if you are a character artist, you are never going to stop studying this.

Consistent practice and study is obvious, being hyper critical of yourself is fantastic, it may take years before you produce what you want to but you will get there.

DSC_0122.jpg:original

One thing I started doing which undoubtedly helped would be printing off reference, a 2nd monitor is fantastic for this kind of thing but by printing it off it serves two purposes, first I can easily glance over the area im struggling with immediately having some reference to work off of, I can see muscles, form, the head count is great because it breaks down each area to a scale, now the 2nd purpose it serves is a bit more subconcious, I am looking every day at what I need to improve on, I have alot of this reference fixated in my mind just from seeing it every day now, and if I have a new struggle or want to improve something maybe (I havent yet) but maybe I will take some reference down and replace it.

but thats just my advice and my way of doing things, build your own path and tweak it as it suits you.
  • Dilkesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    im going to give you a tip man on anatomical study, because if you are a character artist, you are never going to stop studying this.

Consistent practice and study is obvious, being hyper critical of yourself is fantastic, it may take years before you produce what you want to but you will get there.

DSC_0122.jpg:original

One thing I started doing which undoubtedly helped would be printing off reference, a 2nd monitor is fantastic for this kind of thing but by printing it off it serves two purposes, first I can easily glance over the area im struggling with immediately having some reference to work off of, I can see muscles, form, the head count is great because it breaks down each area to a scale, now the 2nd purpose it serves is a bit more subconcious, I am looking every day at what I need to improve on, I have alot of this reference fixated in my mind just from seeing it every day now, and if I have a new struggle or want to improve something maybe (I havent yet) but maybe I will take some reference down and replace it.

but thats just my advice and my way of doing things, build your own path and tweak it as it suits you.

Thanks ExcessiveZero for the feedback man. I am unsure whether i want to be a character artist yet. I know i enjoy modelling but i also enjoy animation so as you can see i am at a bit of a divide on what i want. So for now i am both! I have my 2nd screen and i normally have it filled with 5 different images of anatomy as i am working but i like your idea of filling my wall with references. You wouldn't happen to have links to them would you? They seem really good quality. Nice setup as well but how close is that 2nd screen jesus christ :p going to have square eyes