Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Rob's Guard - Female Character

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
BrianSegs polycounter lvl 8
My buddy wanted me to make a character for a project of his. This will be my first female character and I will be trying out 3d coat, crazy bump, and body paint. So needless to say, I will be getting my learn on! Rules are work hard, and be a G :D

My plan is to start with her body. I asked my buddy to explain to me what he wanted, feel and proportion wise. Im going for tall, thin, but with curves. Here is the base mesh. Im used to doing things this way but in the future I want to try starting with Dynamesh to save a step.

rob_s_guard_by_kidgray-d61cg40.jpg

Replies

• BrianSegs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I worked the base mesh and im pretty happy with how it turned out. It should be a good place to move forward from.

Next i will be doing some rough paint overs based on what he wants as far as clothing goes. Im no concept artist but i will give it my best!

rob_s_guard_base_by_kidgray-d61ftc9.png
  • BrianSegs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    He says it needs nipples, color and a back shot. So here it is. I don't think I will go with this skin tone or hair in the end but for showing what it could be, I think it works.

Thoughts, comments and crits are welcome and wanted. Im trying a lot of firsts in this project so i could really use some other minds and eyes.

rob_s_guard_base_with_color_by_kidgray-d61gfm3.png
  • Plyomet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi, Just so people know, are you going for realistic proportions or stylised?

A few things look slightly off, but unfortunately I am by no means an anatomy guy. The butt seems to merge too high with the body. She seems to still have fat from the butt almost all the way up to her hips. Maybe lower that?

Sorry I can't be more help, but it looks good! (I'm just being picky)
  • Plyomet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Double Post, sorry.
  • BrianSegs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey! Thanks for the reply Plyomet. I am not going for realistic Proportions. I am going for stylized over all.

It's cool if you are not an anatomy guy, another set of eyes is always better than one. So you are saying she feels off visually but you can't figure out where. Also her butt feels too high and merges with her body in a weird way.

Thanks for the feedback! I will go back and check my reference and see if i can tweak her to feel better.

Don't be sorry. You helped a ton. Thanks for the love and for being picky!
  • Abrvpt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Abrvpt polycounter lvl 4
    Nice start man =)
    Because she have very long legs, I don't think her bottom is too high. But on the back view the V shape could be quite smoothed on the exterior sides.
    Also, even if she's stylized and meant to wear a bra, her breasts seems to be VERY high at the moment.
    Keep going ! ;)
  • BrianSegs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Abrypt :)
    So you feel her Legs support the butt and that the V shape above her butt is a bit to harsh. Also that her breasts are very high.
    I feel you on the legs and bottom. I was hoping that they would support each other. I will play around with the V to get a smoother, more organic feel. You figured me out with the breasts. I wanted to build them a bit higher to account for a bra or some kind of support. It might have been too high so i will play with it to get a better result.

Thanks for the crit, love and support!
  • BrianSegs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys! Thanks for the help so far. I really appreciate it :)

I did some rough paint overs to give some outfit options based on what my buddy and i talked about. I also did some fixes to the model and tried to tweak it a bit more.

Next he and i will talk and see which one he likes the best. I like top right the best!

Thoughts, comments and crits are welcome and wanted.

rob_s_guard_ideas_by_kidgray-d61ktue.jpg
  • BrianSegs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Popol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Popol interpolator
    Hey really good job so far! I think you did a great job on the stylization of the anatomy, even though I agree with Abrvpt about the breast being too high.

Nice concepts but the only one that really stands out is the top right one. It's the only one with an asymmetrical silhouette, it give the character way more personality. I really like the smaller details one the others designs. Why not trying a mix? The silhouette of the top right designs with some of the cool details of the others? =)
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    I like upper right the most too ! Awesome so far.
    Lower left looks too much like Magdalena. And lower right reminds me of Sephiroth O o'
  • BrianSegs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the love guys!

@Popol- You like the stylized anatomy but you feel the breast are too high. I will make sure to tweak them in the next step. Thanks for the insight on the designs. I am no concept artist so tips like that are super helpful!

@PyrZern- I really hope my buddy goes with that one. It is the most anime/fantasy feeling one and i have a soft spot for that kind of stuff. I didn't even think about how much those two resembled other characters. It's kind of awesome that they do but if they are chosen, i will do my best to pull them away from those characters.

Thanks again for the love guys. I will be posting more soon!
  • Lavitz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lavitz polycounter lvl 12
    Looking really good, for the clothing/armor I'm liking pieces from each: pants/belts from top left, cloak and boots from top right, one side of the shoulders from bottom left, and maybe the skirt from bottom right.

I'm going to keep an eye on this, can't wait to see what you come up with.
  • BrianSegs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My project lead went with the lower right idea and then wanted me to do a little more to make it interesting. He is a go with his gut type of guy and was like "That one! Now start modeling!". I really liked all the ideas you guys threw at me to help with the concept so i am sorry and sad i couldn't make use of them. I will be doing some personal stuff after this so please help me with the concepting!

here is the final design.
    rob_s_guard_concept_by_kidgray-d626i3p.png

I started sculpting already. I will be better with updating. It's my first time posting progress on forums so i still have to get used to it.
    rob_s_guard_progress_01_by_kidgray-d626ind.jpg

Still a lot to do so let me know what you guys think!
  • Lavitz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lavitz polycounter lvl 12
    I think it's looking great!
    I know the armor and clothing are very early in sculpt, but I would try and get the armor pieces to match each other a bit more specifically the leg armor matching up with the shoulders. I think it would be even more of a bonus to get the sleeve and skirt embroidery to echo the armor designs in a way too.
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    She looks rather frail to be a guard. I'd bulk her up a bit, especially her arms and legs.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Her kneepads should reflect the design of the shoulderpads. Well, more like the whole greaves armor. Her shoulderpads are quite round and smooth and of high rank and fine craft... ya know, not the crude and brutal piece from Orcs' or Goblins' craftings. lol
  • BrianSegs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the love and help guys!

Here is the update. I know there are design things that could change but that is not fully in my control. I do really appreciate the feed back. It helped me get better even if i cant put it to use just yet.
    rob_s_guard_progress_02_by_kidgray-d62r8cy.jpg
  • BrianSegs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The sculpts almost done so i threw some color on her to give my lead an idea of where she is going. We are most likely not going to go with this but it's gives some direction before i move on to the next steps.
    rob_s_guard_progress_03_by_kidgray-d62sahc.jpg
  • SUPAVISI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SUPAVISI polycounter lvl 7
    I really like her face but not so much her anatomy, I did a quick paint over, might not be what your looking for but I am not very good with describing things with words. Hope it helps, either way keep at it, it looks great so far :)

1zme1c7.png
  • SUPAVISI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SUPAVISI polycounter lvl 7
    Apologies for the double posting, was having net issues :/
  • DarkKni9hT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarkKni9hT polycounter lvl 10
    I had the same feelings about her proportions. Even given that she is stylized by design, she feels off. From head to waist she is only half the height of her waist to toes. That's a little much, even for stylised anatomy. She feels like two halves of different people stitched together. I squashed her lower "half" in PS just to see. She doesn't end up all that much shorter, but she feels a little better balanced.

rob_s_guard_compare_zps61126c6b.jpg

Beautiful sculpting otherwise. The design is tight and crisp, especially for a "That one.Go!" kind of build. I'm looking forward to more of this. Will she be rigged?
  • BrianSegs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the love and Crits. I see what you guys are saying about the proportions. I agree that they are a bit much and make her seem oddly tall. The idea and design for her was made by my project lead. All i did was try to match his idea in 3d. For some back ground, she is supposed to be of an ancient race, forgotten in time. Women and men were larger and taller than modern man and processed magic and great strength.

I really dig and need every ones feedback even though there are things im not allowed to change at this point. Thank you all and finals are coming!
  • BrianSegs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    First, thanks for the help along the way. My lead seems to be very happy with how she turned out. I am too!!

Comments and crits are welcome and wanted.

rob_s_guard_final_sculpt_by_kidgray-d63pvsy.jpg

rob_s_guard_final_textures_by_kidgray-d63pw74.jpg

rob_s_guard_final_breakdown_by_kidgray-d63pwie.jpg
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    Came out great, I like that you kept the wrinkle sculpting down to just the vital spots, really works great with the simplicity of the rest of the design

Your topology is a bit wasteful in a couple areas, namely the shin armor. There's no real need for it to have all those loops since it's not going to bend at all or twist much.

I also don't think it was worth it to cut in all those tiny bevels along your gold inlays around the wrists of the jacket and the indentation on the skirt, they barely affect the silhouette and the difference would be unnoticable if you just left them flat.
  • BrianSegs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you AtticusMars! I see your point with the topology. I will make sure to be cleaner in the next one :)