Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

First Real Anatomy Attempt

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
TychoVII polycounter lvl 13
Hey guys, this is my first real attempt at doing an anatomy study and I'd like you guys to tear it apart. I just want to get a real idea of where I'm at and what I could improve on.

Zbrush%20Sculpt.jpg
Reference_Censored.jpg

Replies

• JoshVanZuylen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshVanZuylen polycounter lvl 5
    I will try....

Her neck and shoulders look a bit off and need a little more definition. But it's hard to tell from these images as they are not at the best angle for looking at it.

Her anterior muscles (lower leg) need more defining. They are bigger in your Ref image.

The only other thing I would say you could really fix up is the outer feet. They are way to smooth and have pretty much no definition.

Other then these three things you have done a great job.

If you where building this for game you have done a better job then most AAA studios would. But if it was going to be something to show off In a show reel or what have you don't settle for second best, which it seems your not. :)
  • C86G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    C86G greentooth
    The green shows the outline of the photo ref.

n5rue23b.jpg

As you can see, the body´s shape is more curvy than yur sculpt. I´d recommend editing the photo ref to match your sculpt´s pose (or the other way round) and use the image in Zbrush as a ref.
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Well, the good news is that you build up your volumes well, and you your work is smooth instead of muddy, so process wise and eye wise you are doing quite well.

There are some definite deviations or misses between your concepts to the sculpt, but they aren't huge. Things like the curve of the hips, or the height of the butt, and subtleties in the anatomy that aren't present.

My suggestion would be to use other CG artists sculpts as reference for a piece or two (be sure to credit them though), gray-scale models of people who get those subtleties. It is simply easier to see anatomy when you're not working with a live human, with the diffuse lighting in the skin and what are typically overlit shots that make seeing the details difficult.

Something like this: http://cghub.com/images/view/239344/

Or this, which is one of my favorites: http://cghub.com/images/view/362695/

Also, it makes it easier if you're not doing smooth skinned females. They are extremely hard, and not the best starting material.

Another good idea might be scott eaton's anatomy course. It is expensive, but from what I have heard it is excellent.

Anyways, good work, keep it up.
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    If you where building this for game you have done a better job then most AAA studios would.

well... not really. I think you're severely underestimating the abilities of a lot of talented artists when you say stuff like that. I would imagine that the typical large studio character artist could bust something like this out in an afternoon with more accuracy and finesse. Not that it's not a good job, just...
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    you're missing a lot of the "bony" landmarks on the sculpt, look them up and compare them to your reference and then to your sculpt
  • TychoVII
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TychoVII polycounter lvl 13
    This is awesome feedback, thankyou all.

JoshVanZuylen: Yeah I spent very little time on the legs/feet. I also see what you're saying about the neck/shoulder area, I'll have to work on that.

ysalex: Those are some pretty ridiculously good sculpts, I don't even know where to begin when looking at all those forms. I kind of thought that starting with a realistic model would be the most beneficial way to start, but I guess I need to work more on "ideal" human anatomy first. Thanks for the insight!