Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Low Poly Assets - Training

Hello all, my name is Jon and I am new to the forums. I'm am looking to get into the video game industry as an artist. Characters are not my strong suit, so I am working on weapons, vehicles and environmental assets. Currently, I am working on a hand-painted sword. I've never done a hand-painted asset before I would like some input. Thanks!

Replies

• keyp3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    One of the most useful things I've picked up in my learning is thinking about how the object was made and why it looks the way it does at this stage. Seems kind of obvious, but, for example, are the pits in the side of blade a flaw in the manufacturing process, or were they latter created through rust/wear? How is the thing on the back of the blade attached? And more importantly (via form follows function) what does it do for person using the blade?
    Also I'd have a look at how hilts are constructed (and why). Looking at jewelry settings might help with placing gems in a decorative fashion in hilts as well.
    Nice work so far though, I envy your painting ability already!
  • tolae
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the input. I was trying to think of more little details to add to it. I'm thinking the rear shield section would be bolted to the unit, will be added that around the edges of the piece. Since that piece would mainly be to block with, or possibly knock someone around with, it would be fairly beat-up. Going to add some more damage to it. The side pits were an attempt to add variation, maybe part of manufacture, but probably from damage/wear as well. I'm thinking that I should also add a "dirt" layer, I would like the sword to look as used as possible.
  • tolae
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Little update here. I started fleshing out the handle, going for a wrapped handle style. I think it's looking okay so far, but not quite there yet.
  • tolae
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A little update here. I've been working on some more hand-painted texturing and have been trying to nail down some different materials. The one I'm working on right now is wood. Let me know what you think.

woodpanels.jpg
  • tolae
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, it's been way to long since I have made a post. This is the latest low poly asset I have made. It's a hand painted folding tech sword. Let me know what your think.

2ns1hc7.jpg
  • tolae
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    New asset here, working on a toon-ish shotgun. Plan on it being hand-painted texture-wise. Here is the model so far.

mv0svs.jpg