Home Technical Talk

High poly: Carving notches into a cylinder

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Zyth polycounter lvl 12
Hi, guys. I'm having some trouble with this. I want to carve notches into a cylinder without disturbing the smooth curvature of the cylinder. I've been trying, using sub-D surfaces modeling, to achieve this but so far a good solution has eluded. I always end up with a pinch line running up the side of the cylinder (as shown in the attached image) or a pinch line/deformation running horizontally along the cylinder, disturbing its curvature.

I’ve run into this problem before…in short, how do you cut into a curved surface without disturbing the integrity of that surface? Is it possible with sub-D modeling?

Replies

• Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is just a case of needing more geometry. If you start by using a cylinder with enough sides, you won't have to add in vertical support loops to retain the shape.

Here's an example starting with a 60 sided cylinder.

L8AHMds.jpg

If you want the edges to be sharper (which is usually not a good thing) then just start with more sides. Be careful though, the more sides you add, the more difficult working with the model becomes.
  • Zyth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zyth polycounter lvl 12
    Sean,

Thanks for getting back to me so soon. I did this and it's working great. Thanks.