Home General Discussion

Is programming necessary to both acquire and maintain employment in the industry?

I would like to clarify this once and for all, and this is the place to do it. I am currently wrapping up the second year of my advanced diploma in Game Development. It's about 80% art and related technical skills (animating, rendering, rigging, etc). The other 20% or so is programming. We do scripting and coding in Flash Actionscript and C# For Unity.

Now, I want to be an environment artist/3D modeller, eventually working my way up the hierarchy to a senior position or director. These programming assignments really intrude upon student's focus who want to spend more time on work they could show in their demo-reels. Having done a bit of research, I have found that there are not really any people working in the industry doing what I want to do, who utilize these skill sets, or even display them in their work or resumes for that matter. What bothers me more is that the people teaching these programming courses are not artist, that seems hypocritical.

I'd like to get your thoughts on this. There's a saying, if you chase two rabbits you'll catch none. Art and Programming are very different rabbits, why should a curriculum force students to be a jack-of-all trades yet master of none?

Replies

• Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    Usually if you can program on the side, your position is more secure. Since you can help develop and script tools to bridge the gap between artist and programmers, the people are more valued.

Usually this position is called technical artist.
  • skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    It will be 11 years in the industry for me come May, and I have never done a single bit of programming in my life. So No, it's not necessary. Unless your a tech artist.
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 19
    I say that your inclination is correct--if you pursue both then most people will come out weaker in both.

However, 20% programming courses is hardly "pursuing" programming...it sounds like it's just a couple of intro courses.

As for who teaches them: Generally I would trust the material in a programming course taught by a focused programmer much much more than a focused artist, who (generally) would see things from a much narrower perspective.

Anyway, back to the main question: I've never worked with an art director who knew how to program. I've only met a handful of leads or senior people with any programming experience at ALL (usually minor scripting/tech art experience). But does that mean that coding classes are a bad idea?

I think a survey class or two is absolutely a GOOD idea--you might not learn much about implementation of cutting edge things, but being able to communicate with more technical disciplines is one of the most crucial skills of a lead/senior, and most leads/seniors have had to learn that as a pseudo-skill on-the-job. If you're at this school to become a well-rounded game artist, a class in the fundamentals of coding will take you much farther than a class of "how to bake your texture maps using the flavor-of-the-month, 2013 edition", which will *likely* be outdated by the time you graduate.
  • Adrian Pieroni
    skylebones wrote: »
    It will be 11 years in the industry for me come May, and I have never done a single bit of programming in my life. So No, it's not necessary. Unless your a tech artist.

Skylebones, can you tell me a little more about what you do in the industry?
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    No. But it can help.

Making games is a team effort (unless you're going solo, and then YES you need to program) and understanding what your colleagues can and can not do is a very helpful piece of information.

You don't need to be able to program AI, but knowing what kind of things can be done and how computationally expensive they are can definitely influence your game design. You don't have to know how to build a particle system, but knowing what kind of effects alpha blending, sprite size and layer count have, will help you design a good effect.

Schools teach coding for a few reasons:
    1 - promote teamwork (see above)
    2 - give people a wide base of knowledge to specialize in. Maybe you THINK you wanna art, but then you do some coding, and it turns out to be much more interesting.
    3 - eventually you will probably have to make one/several actual games in a team effort, and therefore you must have some coders

What's important is the ratio. Do you have 2 classes of how to make pacman? Fine. Is half your time spent writing lines and half on art? You're in the wrong place.
  • Kevin Albers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Albers polycounter lvl 18
    Required - no. Useful, especially to be in the industry long-term and become a Lead - definitely.

A random junior artist doesn't need programming knowledge, but as others have mentioned, having a basic knowledge of how programming works, why technical limits exist etc is helpful when interacting with programmers. There are plenty of Leads, Art Directors and such who don't know anything about programming, but it's not exactly to their benefit that they don't know about programming. The knowledge would be helpful to most people.

I've been in the industry about 17 years, and I've never been required to do any coding. I've had plenty of useful discussions with programmers about technical issues that affect art, however, and I've always been glad when I could understand what the heck the programmer was talking about, because I do in fact know a bit about programming.
  • skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    /\drian wrote: »
    Skylebones, can you tell me a little more about what you do in the industry?

I'm an environment artist.

And others brought up a good point, you should 'understand' the basics of how programming works. It's all moon language to me, but I understand how the game is built using it.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    It can't hurt to know but no, it isn't required. I got about a year into a CS degree when I realized it wasn't what I wanted to do, we were just getting into writing boring business applications in class. I haven't used any of the programming knowledge in my capacity as an artist, it's all terribly out of date anyway.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    As an artist?

No.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Oh, but as a tech artist...yeah. Learn that stuff. It's stood me well.
  • marks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    Oh, but as a tech artist...yeah. Learn that stuff. It's stood me well.

Seconded.
  • radiancef0rge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    radiancef0rge ngon master
    if youre an environment artist I would say youre better off learning mel, python or javascript for photoshop or something.

ultimately the programmers program, and offering to do something thats not in your job description can sometimes be very hurtful to others - at least from my experience.
    why should a curriculum force students to be a jack-of-all trades yet master of none?

because schools are there to take your money not make you successful.
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    No you don't really need it. But I'd say do not underestimate the value of any knowledge. Especially programming in game dev. It can do you a lot of good.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    I think it's a good idea to take an interest in it at least. It'll give you a better idea how your art gets used by an engine, which can only help the outcome
  • The Flying Monk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Flying Monk polycounter lvl 18
    Whatever helps you stand out above the rest. Some artist focus on their art skills and become god-like. Some artists become leads and managers. Some of us can code can talk to the programers.

There was a thread not too long ago about how someone found the programers they worked with introverted and scary. If you can fill that niche then you may find it easier to get and keep a job long term.
  • Cojax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cojax polycounter lvl 10
    6 Years and many shipped titles. Not a single line of code. This probably goes for many of my fellow artists. In a large AAA studio there really isn't any need for it unless your a tech / vfx artist, but hey would not hurt to know :)
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    As an artist?

No.

As a developer or designer?

Yes.

But just as a game artist, no, it isn't necessary. The industry has grown specialized enough that you don't have to be a programmer to make game art. The biggest advantage that programming would give an artist is in developing in-house tools and software plug-ins. If you are programming file exporters and the like for your company's art pipeline, they are going to think twice about ditching you when annual layoffs roll around.

If you are a game designer, and can't program, you have no future. Designs can't really be copyrighted. Even if you do cook up some stellar design documents, they'll just get stolen and developed by someone else. (probably Zynga) The industry has not reached the point where pure design positions are feasible. You have to be able to cook up your own prototypes, and that means some degree of coding.

And development positions are obvious. Most of those involve programming anyway.

Of course you could always just be management. But then no one will ever believe that you make the games themselves.
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    It definitely helps to know some maxscript, mel, python etc (depending on your prefered software).
  • XilenceX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XilenceX polycounter lvl 10
    Programming no, but some visual scripting like Kismet,Flowgraph or similar Unity Plugins would definitely be required to set up convincing demo scenes.
  • Adrian Pieroni
    XilenceX wrote: »
    Programming no, but some visual scripting like Kismet,Flowgraph or similar Unity Plugins would definitely be required to set up convincing demo scenes.

Yeah Kismet is pretty cool, and has obvious uses for level designers/environment artist. This thread has been very helpful so far, lots of good case studies and subjective feedback.
  • MikeF
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    even light knowledge can help a ton.
    when i started with the company i'm with now i had some basic j script knowledge but nothing beyond that, as i refined my skillset and learned new languages the interaction with the programming team went through the roof. Not only is it helpfull in bridging the gaps between the departments, it will also give you a better idea of the entire scope of the project and where your skills might come in handy when it would have been overlooked

also, when working as a freelancer its a great side skill to get some extra hours on a project. ex: worked on a simple shootem up for a client a while back and he was going to hire a programmer to work out the animation scripting on the assets i delivered. Because I knew the ins and outs of the particular assets and was able to create the logic, i got extra hours on the project and the client saved money and the hassle of having to bring in a new guy for a simple task
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    as, someone that does envirment art I can tell you knowing python, and being able to write my own tools, and exporters to bend Maya over, has really made me more useful and had drastcally sped up my work flow.

also it helps you more effectively communicate with the programmers and tech artists.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    no , but deep sea diving might be handy, you never know when a meeting may be called on the sea floor, you know best to be prepared.
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    I have a programming background myself from the start but always knew I'd make a better artist than programmer in the end. It has served me very well during my years as a game developer. Bridging that gap between tech-art and the programmers helps a lot. It also gains me their respect both from the tool programmers and the graphics programmers since I usually ask both of them about different things and they can explain it with their terms and I'll still understand :)

Obviously it also helps you understand what the level designers will be capable of doing with their scripting.

So all in all, it's worth it. It's really good to know the basics of programming.
  • Zpanzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zpanzer polycounter lvl 8
    Not only does programming, as others have said, bridge the gab between departments, but it also have an immense value when you are able to do your own small utillies for your 3d program. I now a bit of Maxscript and it's been helping me a lot over the years. Small apps like having turbosmooth control over your entire scene from a single button, to iterating through houndreds of objects are awesome and I believe that most artist should know abit of either MEL or Maxscript as it has crazy potential in ones 3d workflow.