Home Technical Talk

Thin Black Lines in AO bake

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Trevor polycounter lvl 4
I am having a problem with thin black lines running across some of the UV islands in my AO bake. I am at a loss to what is causing this problem since the shading looks accurate in the problem areas and the normal map looks good. I did model low to high poly in this case (not sure if that matters) because im going for a simple non sculpted shape. I have attached images of the problem below along with my Xnormal settings used for the bake. This problem is small enough to just paint out in Photoshop but I would like to find a solution to this problem to minimize time spent on image doctoring. Any help would be wonderful!

Replies

• Bartalon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bartalon polycounter lvl 12
    Are you using a cage? I found cages have resolved nearly every baking issue I've had in the past.
  • Trevor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Trevor polycounter lvl 4
    I am using a cage and the problem exists with or without the cage.

Edit: My cage has sharp edges (smoothing groups) because if i take all the sharp edges off Xnormal wont accept my cage because im exporting from Blender using .OBJ format. Could the sharp edges be the problem? Should i just export an unsmoothed cage into Xnormal, edit it using Xnormals editor and save as ,SBM?
  • Jet_Pilot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jet_Pilot polycounter lvl 10
    you might want to check you don't have any extra verts or edges in those areas. Try selecting everything and wielding to a very low number like .01 so you don't see any noticeable difference, like it collapsing chamfer, and see if the vert count changes.
  • dtschultz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dtschultz polycounter lvl 12
    It looks like the tris are showing up in your AO bake. I wonder if you turn your tris if that would fix it.
  • Trevor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Trevor polycounter lvl 4
    Checked verts, no extra verts, reversed tris, and the artifacts remain:poly127:.
  • J0NNYquid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    J0NNYquid polycounter lvl 5
    I know you said the normal bake looks good but just for the sake of trying another aproach what if you put your whole model on 1 smoothing group and just see what sort of result you get, I know when I've run into issues before that has worked. Not for every situation mind you, but it's worth a shot. I'm not versed in the Blender to XN workflow so that may be poor advice.
  • Trevor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Trevor polycounter lvl 4
    Im not too clear on how the smoothing group situation works when trying to do that in Blender. All I know is that Blender uses "sharp edges" which splits the whole geometry at the edge defined as sharp and I have heard that Max splits it at the vertex normal only (please dont quote me on that as I am really not sure).
    I did try the bake with NO sharp edges on model and cage and it turned out the same.
    With Blender it seems that my low poly and cage models have to match while keeping all sharp edges on my cage and low poly the same (since it splits the vertices) when I export in obj format. When I look at other tutorials I see smoothing groups on the low poly and NOT on the cage and the bake comes out clean. Am I just interpreting it that way or is that the way it works?? When doing this in Blender it seems there is an exception for everything.
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    I have usually have this occur when I bake from lowpoly to lowpoly in xNormal - try upping your angle bias (is that what it's called?) in your AO settings maybe.
  • Trevor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Trevor polycounter lvl 4
    Upping the bias just made the artifacts worse in the problem areas. I tried subdividing my high poly 4 times, exported, rebaked, and got the attached results.
    since the results actually changed, is the problem my high poly?
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 12
    You said you're using a custom cage from Blender? Have you tried the XNormal cage?
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    Flipped normals possibly? And your LP Uv's? No overlaps, no flipped faces etc?
  • Trevor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Trevor polycounter lvl 4
    I recalculated the normals multiple times along with multiple visual checks, no duplicate verts, no overlapped uvs, no flipped uv faces.
    Im not sure how to setup a cage in Xnormal. it doesnt save the cage when I save meshes out of the 3d viewer.