Home General Discussion

Where do I even begin?

I've been digging through what I can to try and avoid posting this thread and although I probably have used the wrong search terms, I couldn't find an answer to my question;

Where does a complete beginner... begin?

What software should I be trying to learn to start with? Maya, 3DS, Mudbox or something else?

Is there a glossary of all the acronyms and terminology anywhere?

How are files structured and imported/exported?

What should I be doing when I begin?

I have no background in 3D at all; no industry or education connection and the interest is fairly recent. If anyone would be willing to help me out it would be much appreciated; I'm quite happy to have this conversation in PM if this thread would be cluttering the forum unnecessarily but I don't even know who to talk to, heh.

Thanks for your time guys :)

Replies

• leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 12
    I think learning how to model in general would be the best place to start. Maya or Max, your choice, although in my opinion, I think Maya is easier. I'd just start with a bunch of intro videos on modeling random things. Don't worry about modeling for games right now, just learn the programs first. Make some cool shit for the fun of it, otherwise you'll probably burn yourself out focusing too much on the technical side of modeling for games.

The Polycount Wiki would probably the be best glossary for you. Check out videos from Gnomon, Eat3D, 3DMotive, and various Youtube videos.

The structuring of files varies. There isn't any standard way to do it(until you get a job at a studio). I load stuff from my desktop, Dropbox, or jump-drive all the time, since I move between multiple computers on a daily basis. As long as you have all of the files you're working with, it doesn't matter how they're set-up. Once you get to working in an engine, then it gets a little messy with all of the textures.

Also, read Polycount threads every day. I've learned so much just by reading about people's progress.
  • dpaynter26
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dpaynter26 polycounter lvl 11
  • makinmagic3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    makinmagic3 polycounter lvl 11
    For me I started with free tutorials on youtube to learn some techniques/ tips/ terminology/ examples.

Also check eat3d.com with some of their free tutorials.

Edit:

Another link I would recommend is PixelBaln (Youtube), got some great Maya tutorials (create Rolex watch, racing car, tire tread), however some of the tutorials may not be completed.

TheNewBoston has also got a series of 3DS Max and UDK tutorials.
  • Equanim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Equanim polycounter lvl 11
    Maya and Max both have getting started videos that will give you a crash course of their UI, creating an entire scene, texturing and animating it. Once you have a grasp of the entire process, you can pinpoint what you want to work on and look up tutorials.

From there, most people learn via straight practice. Do a model a week, it doesn't have to be anything elaborate. You'll pick up a trick here and there online, but most of it is learned through problems you encounter with your own work.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    To start off, you could download a couple of trials of 3D apps - you could try any (I would personally recommend one out of Maya, Max or XSI,) and start messing around with it. Do something really basic, don't focus on texturing, etc. or jump the gun, just do the fundamentals as there's no rush.

In terms of tutorials, a good place to start for something simple would be Digital Tutors, they do some good beginner kits and give pretty straightforward explanations for someone starting off. You could also check out Vertex which is free, but might be a little advanced for someone with not much experience - although it would at least give you some idea of what you'll be able to do later on :) Good luck!
  • CordellC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CordellC polycounter lvl 11
    As far as tutorial sites go, Digital-Tutors is a good place to just learn the software. They'll teach you what you need to click to get a certain result, but do not go there for any good theory about modeling or texturing for games (I'm not sure if this is the case anymore as I canceled my subscription almost a year ago.) If you want the practical tips after learning the software, I would move on to Eat3D and 3DMotive. Both are tailored towards modeling/texturing/lighting for games, and the authors are usually industry devs themselves. That is when you'll really start to grasp what creating an asset for a game takes.

Other than that you should just practice and hang around Polycount. Finding artists who create work you enjoy is a huge motivator (at least to me) as it gives you something to strive for.
  • joe gracey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joe gracey polycounter lvl 11
    3DMotive.com has some really good videos.
  • Balwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you all so much for your responses. I will begin working my way through the resources listed. Thanks again :)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As far as tutorial sites go, Digital-Tutors is a good place to just learn the software. They'll teach you what you need to click to get a certain result, but do not go there for any good theory about modeling or texturing for games (I'm not sure if this is the case anymore as I canceled my subscription almost a year ago.)
    To be honest, I have watched a few videos now that talked about the hows and whys of various techniques so it's not quite as clinical as you remember.
  • Brygelsmack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brygelsmack polycounter lvl 11
    dpaynter26 wrote: »
    That is not helpful at all, could people just stop posting stupid one-liners on this forum that are just a waste of space? While it's a good resource it's extremely hard for a beginner to just "begin" there.

Anyway, the first response in this thread is good. Here's how I got into 3D and some advice: Personally I started out using a game engine (CryEngine2 back in 2007). Using pre-existing objects built levels, took it step by step and eventually mastered CryEngine.

I wanted to develop since I think having 3D as part of your skill set is important in this industry. Having a really hard time to get into 3DS Max, I eventually joined a school since I figured I might as well try and maybe be inspired by classmates. We have an amazing teacher and I've learnt so much (Maya) since I started. So there's that. Go to school. I bet most people in here are against it but I really needed the push and it helped me a lot. But remember, it's not gonna happen if you're not really into this. We got a lot of first year students who just seem to waste our teacher's time because of their lack of interest. By interest I mean sitting at home and watch tutorials basically whenever you have some spare time. 3D Motive, Eat3D and YouTube videos as mentioned above. Also check out Vertex (dammit, also posted above ^^). Really worth the read. These are all some extremely good resources if you can't go to school. Even if you go to school to learn 3D you definitely shouldn't miss these.

If you even start a project early on - START SOMETHING SMALL! I can't stress this enough. Having ambition is great but it's easy to be overwhelmed so start something simple. Model your desk and some stuff placed on it, then take it further and further.

If you go for Maya, here's a few YT channels I recommend:

- deepfriedectoplasm
    Not so much game art or modeling, mostly cool stuff with Maya so you can get a feel for it.

- 3dmotiveHD
    3D Motive's channel. Cool tips and tricks, they're not Maya exclusive though.

- Maya Beginner Basics - Part 1/10
    WorldOfLevelDesign. Definitely worth checking out as a beginner.

- Pixelbahn
    Lots of Maya tutorials focusing on HP modeling mainly. Very good stuff if you want to keep your mind of game art and texturing for now.

That's all I can think of, it's pretty late so maybe I can think of something else tomorrow. Best of luck!
  • Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    What do you want to do?

This is exactly what I was thinking. Work out what you want to do or where you want to be in 2 or 5 years time. Let us know, then people can advise you better.

But if you don't know....well then...
  • Balwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori wrote: »
    This is exactly what I was thinking. Work out what you want to do or where you want to be in 2 or 5 years time. Let us know, then people can advise you better.

But if you don't know....well then...

This is the best smiley ever > :poly142:

Really, I don't have a plan as such. It's another skill I'd like to develop while I have the time; I learned Photoshop for similar reasons a couple of years ago.

My initial interest comes from playing Skyrim and Dota 2, which both heavily support player-made content, and wanting to be a part of the modding community in future, I guess.

I'm also an amateur writer with an overactive imagination, so I'd like to see some of my ideas come to be in a more... solid form. Being able to model the creatures and characters from my world would be an invaluable tool.

Edit: @Brygel - thank you for those links - will check them out when I have time.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Fomori wrote: »
    Work out what you want to do or where you want to be in 2 or 5 years time. Let us know, then people can advise you better.

I get your point, but how are they supposed to know exactly what they want to do when they've never even created a cube in 3D? Sure you can have a vague idea, but trying to create a character when you've never touched a 3D app is ambitious to say the least.

I think learn the fundamentals, get to grips with modeling basics and tools. Try different mediums, hard surface modeling, digital sculpting in Zbrush or Mudbox, etc. Find out where your strength is, what puts fire in your belly! After a certain level of understanding of the software is gained, that person can then start to consider what path they want to go down, e.g. "Well, I really liked the digital sculpting and have a passion for character art, maybe I'll try a simple character" or "I want to try and be badass at everything, so I'm going to just be a generalist" etc.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • HardBaller
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HardBaller polycounter lvl 7
    My 2c here. Actually more or less how i started. Get a student version of max or maya (both free and no limitations on use aside from the license type). Find a good/descend tutorial site where you can get some good free "lessons". I do love Digital tutors myself and use them but i think paying for it if you don't know what you want yet goes a bit far. At first i used 3d-sphere. It's free and i think their pretty easy to follow. There are easy to follow "projects" there and it could give you a good idea of modelling with 3ds Max.

Other then that. Use google video search so you get results from all kinds of video website and not just youtube and just try it all out until you find what you prefer most. You can also look for livestreams here and there. There are a couple of them and it's pretty fun to see someone work on a model from start to finish without any timelaps etc.

Aside that i agree with TeriyakiStyle.
  • Alphavader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alphavader polycounter lvl 11
    I think there many good tips here. I started in school with some friends, we played quake and counterstrike alot and most of the maps bored us. So i decided to make new maps - with the maps there come new textures, new objects and so on.
    I think its a good start to realize what did you inspire, what would you change or do it your self. (could be a book, a painting, didnt have to be a game )

1. Read through the internet and Polycount wiki what are the common programs and where you get them
    2. Think about some short goals - whats your field of interest ?
    (a weapon in cs or skyrim ? a new map ? a whole new charackter in quake ? )
    3. Do it - beside search for tutorials for that direction.
    4. I found myself doing tutorials at first over and over agian, but i think, simply to start and do some stuff for your self and search for solutions on "your" problems are even better.
    5. Dont get too complex - also a huge mistake i made - its good to know all the common tools and workflows - but sometimes i found myself with learning a ton of tools instead to begin with just one or two and DO SOMETHING.
    6. Get in touch with other people - join mod groups, noob groups , challenges etc.

6. Collecting underpants
    7. ..
    8. Profit.

//edit: a last thing - its never bad to invest money in your education - you can get everything for free - but its never bad to pay for good vids and stuff that helps you out - just my 2 cents. (like 3dmotive/ digital tutors .. etc.)
  • AbKI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AbKI polycounter lvl 6
    There's the monthly noob challenge on Polycount! http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=119077

I'm a total beginner too and just jumping in with this month's challenge now that I have a basic sense of Maya's UI (just opening it was nearly enough to put me off).

I'm finding it really helpful just looking up tutorials on how people are solving things, half the battle is knowing what you have to read up on, I think.