Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Moose Man Killer

I decided I would help out a pretty cool project and make a model for the team. They will eventually start a Kickstarter once they get some more art. Basically you can play as either serial killers or regular people. Think Left 4 Dead. As a big fan of L4D I approve of this.

Just wanted to start a thread and get some feedback along the way. Here is the concept and a few hours blocking out the dude. I decided right away that I didn't want to deal with the flannel and the designer was cool with that.

Concept
concept.jpg

mooseMan_wip01.jpg

More images soon.

Replies

• nyx702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's an update. Lots of work on the boots and pants. Just starting to do some of the decay on the moose head. I want to make sure it looks like a hat/mask/helmet rather than some creepy antho guy.

mooseMan_wip02.jpg
  • DLoud
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DLoud polycounter lvl 15
    So cool! Really fun piece. I like where this is going. I notice you fixed some of the minor proportion issues, namely the hands. Good call.

Have you considered adding the backpack's chest strap? I feel like that area could use some visual interest.
  • nyx702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DLoud : Thanks man! Yea I ALWAYS make my hands too big. I just kind-of feel men need huge hands. They are probably still too big now. The moose head does some wonky things to your perception of the proportions.

Been awhile since I had a chance to work on this. I was out of the country for a month for work. Update is mainly sculpting the backpack and tightening up the folds on the arms.

mooseMan_wip03.jpg
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The moose head itself looks a bit too smooth. In the original concept, it's clearly a head from a real and recently slain moose, improperly preserved. Note the bit of blood running from the eye sockets, the partially visible skull, and the crude stitches. You're also missing the frame that supports the head and distributes the weight; considering the size of the average moose head, he'll need some help keeping it in place.

Moose-Head.jpg
  • _DeadPixel_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wtf haha This is awesome!
    I'd say the muscles on the insides of his forearms need a little reworking - they look too defined. The folds around his knees don't look like they're being affected by gravity and there could be more tension on his jacket under his bag-straps from the weight.
    Because most of the head's weight is towards the front there could be more folds under the front of the moose rather than the back.
    Keep it up, this guy is gonna look sweet!
  • _DeadPixel_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh! And give his boots some tread.
    boots_river_road_double_zipper_field_leather_black_3.jpg
  • DiegoTeran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DiegoTeran polycounter lvl 11
    cool, nice concept good model. :)
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Good moose reference here:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-xG3D8OMQk"]Maynards Wine Gums - Set the Juice Loose! - YouTube[/ame]
  • nyx702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DWalker: Thanks for the feedback! I am not sure what frame you are talking about? A frame inside the moose head?

_DeadPixel_: That was some great feedback man! Thanks so much. I tried to address your comments in this update. Let me know what you think.

Turista : Thanks man!

Torch: Lol that was very helpful. Thank you. Maynards are a Canada thing right? I think the equivalent candy in the US are "Gushers"

Been a while since I touched this. Doesn't look like much changed. I added some fur texture to the head. I plan on adding some tuffs of hair in the low poly with hair cards.I scaled down the hands some, added some more wrinkles and tread to the boots. Other random details too.

mooseMan_wip04a.jpg
  • nyx702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Low poly with some WIP textures. Not sure if I am going to keep the sweatshirt green or not. Just picked green because the red blood would show well with it.

mooseMan_wip05.jpg
  • nyx702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update on the textures. Gotta work on the spec. Just flat right now.

mooseMan_wip06.jpg
  • nyx702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Subtle tweaks to the texture and grungeing him up. I think I am done?

mooseMan_wip08.jpg