Home General Discussion

38 Studios Website?

mod
Offline / Send Message
Geezus mod
So, http://38studios.com/ just came back online, with updates from today. The tags are being updated as well. "Relaunch"?

This all seems strange. Thoughts?

Replies

• dtschultz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dtschultz polycounter lvl 12
    Yeah, I saw this as well. Definitely odd. I have no idea how it would be possible for that company to be up to anything with all of the debt and lawsuits hanging over their head.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well that's... weird...
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    They are continually changing the content on the site. Now there's only one post that says:
    Amid the maelstrom of recent press, we realize it’s unlikely you’re here to visit the new occupants; namely, us. Meh. Our apologies. That being said, if you’re looking for updates on the former tenant, Curt Shilling, Green Monster Games, etc. Try here. Otherwise, it’s business as usual. Please excuse the mess while we move in.

Odd.
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Sounds like someone bought the domain?
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    No clue what's going on but I would stay away just in case there are viruses or some shit.. and no offense but I'd probably delete this thread to as to not direct traffic their direction until we know wtf is actually happening there.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    That looks like something out of Thumbler honestly...
  • Adam L. Gray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, my thoughts are.. Seeing as they're 'moving in' and mentioning a 'relaunch'. As well as mentioning that if you're looking for the former owners which went on to start new studios etc. etc. look here..

Then could it be former employee's relaunching the studio while the owners went on to set up new ones? Basically.. employees starting a new studio.. but using the old name, most likely for publicity.
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    Well, my thoughts are.. Seeing as they're 'moving in' and mentioning a 'relaunch'. As well as mentioning that if you're looking for the former owners which went on to start new studios etc. etc. look here..

Then could it be former employee's relaunching the studio while the owners went on to set up new ones? Basically.. employees starting a new studio.. but using the old name, most likely for publicity.

I can't see anybody doing that and deliberately reusing that name. Too much negative publicity attached to it.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    Indeed, the negative stigma surrounding 38 is woeful.
  • Adam L. Gray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weeell, they are foolish then? lol

*hops the bandwagon*

Most peculiar indeed
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    It's odd but the first thing that always came to my mind when I hear 38 Studios is top-notch art
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 19
    Well, as a former 38er, myself and all the other ex-38ers are super baffled by this.

It's none of us... at least that we know of (and quite a few people have chimed in with their own bewilderment now in the various post-38 groups and such).

Our best guess is that its someone from Rhode Island gov't hacking together a website in preparation for selling off the rest of the now-state-owned assets.

The fact that they had posted old "official" materials (old promo images and blurbs) as well as the logos (now removed) from the two 38 products and the studio makes me think it isn't just some squatter who grabbed the domain when it became available...but who knows, it could be. Maybe the fact that they DID remove those things means it's just some kid who thinks he's smart.

It's bizarre, and very unprofessional (another hint that it's the RI Gov't? ZING!), but I wouldn't give it much thought either way.

Justin--I can say with certainty that none of the 38 artists are involved in this--Everyone has moved on to other studios and projects now.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Wish the state of RI would just release an art book. :(

I got all excited when I read the thread title.
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    Wish the state of RI would just release an art book. :(

I got all excited when I read the thread title.

I seriously doubt you could find a state employee that even understands what the heck you're talking about when you say "art book".

If you can find a state employee. They're probably on their nine hour lunch break during their seven hour workday. I know they always are when I go to the Dept. of Licensing... :poly127:
  • X-One
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    X-One polycounter lvl 18
    I recently picked up Reckoning and am currently (slowly) making my way though it. I can't help but be impressed by the game. It's clear that a lot of love was put into just about every aspect of it.

It's a damn shame that the finance side of things weren't handled well, because I would have loved to see sequels for the IP (though not so much an MMO). Despite how things went down, for the developers, it's definitely a title to be proud about.