Home Technical Talk

UV Issue Zbrush/Maya

So I took a model into Zbrush subdivided, painted on it, and exported a very simple texture map. I took the model in Maya and rendered it many times without any problems. When I took the model into the game engine I noticed very dark seams on my model where I cut the UVs. I went back into Maya an realized when I tried to render the model from far away I would get these seams as well. Did I do something wrong in zbrush?

If I go into Photoshop and manually paint around the UV edges the seams will disapear. This makes me think that for some reason my UV edges are spread wider than the painted area in Zbrush. But then why do the seams not show up when rendering at a close distance or in my viewport in Maya?

I have attached 2 images the first rendered up close showing that there are no visible seams, the second rendered from far away and then zoomed in showing very dark seams.

Replies

• Optinium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Optinium polycounter
    Did you add any padding to the texture?
  • _Swerve_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    When I export the texture from zbrush it looks as if there is already padding,if by padding you mean paint outside the UVs a bit. But still the seams appear at a distance and inside the engine. If I go into photoshop and paint even more outside the UVs the seams disappear. But that seems like a very cheap fix, and with a complicated texture would be very inconvenient.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Zbrush probably adds a little padding by default (2ish). You want a LOT of padding (anything less than 4 is probably pointless, but you probably want 8-16 at a minimum... I don't think there's any harm in going even higher with padding). Otherwise you'll notice it at a distance due to mipmapping.

You can either crank the padding when you bake, or use a dilation filter to add it afterwards (it's quick regardless of how complicated the texture gets).
  • _Swerve_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    worked like a charm! thank you :D