Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Halo 4 UDK Cryo Level

Hello Polycount! This is the cryo chamber from the first level in Halo when Master Chief awakes. I did everything in 3ds Max, brought it into UDK and messed around with a lot of materials. I will make a short rendered video of the level so you can see it live. CRITIQUES ARE WELCOME! I am only a student and i would love to hear feedback.

9S1zhR2.jpg

WzOXFkj.jpg

TdHnYas.jpg

Replies

• JesseLujan85
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is the reference image I used!
    H4_final_cryo01.jpg
  • Orangeknight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Orangeknight polycounter lvl 5
    The Moddeling isint bad and I can see how it could come together into a pretty nice piece. But as of right now the lighting is super flat and there is no definition. I would spend a good couple of days upgrading the lighting alot.
  • JesseLujan85
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Moddeling isint bad and I can see how it could come together into a pretty nice piece. But as of right now the lighting is super flat and there is no definition. I would spend a good couple of days upgrading the lighting alot.

Yea, the normal dominant light needs to be adjusted, It can be easily tweaked :) Thank you!
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    Coming along!

- I think the textures need some work, the metals aren't reading well with me and need some nice specularity and possibly more resolution.

- The wires on the ground would benefit from more geo.

- Texture need more variety. On the door it just looks like you pasted a metal texture on top and called it finished :/

- The lighting needs more love. As mentioned before its pretty flat . Maybe add some post processing or particle effects to help enhance it.

- The middle opening is distracting and unappealing to me :/ Its just a huge blaring light that doesn't make much sense. I'd maybe add a skybox or something else up there and have the interior lighting do the work.

Those are just my crits and I think you have a great scene going :)
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    Look at your ref.
    Does it look like your result?
    In what ways is it different?
    Fix those.
  • bigpunn71
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bigpunn71 polycounter lvl 5
    Good start!! I'm trying to do the same scene, so this will be a awesome resource to go to! As stated above the lighting it to intense. Maybe turn down the dominate light and add a light shaft to get that effect from the screen shot you posted. Add a few point lights to bring out those flat areas and help them pop out. I think some of the textures are too noisy, so maybe turn it down a little. Mess around with you materials to get that cool reflection effect. Keep it coming man this is a great start!
  • JesseLujan85
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The thing is, i was going for my own instance on the color scheme, because everything is mostly just one color. I wanted to get some complementary colors that really make the scene pop. I used the reference mostly just to help me get a feel about how i wanted the scene to look.
  • JesseLujan85
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny wrote: »
    Coming along!

- I think the textures need some work, the metals aren't reading well with me and need some nice specularity and possibly more resolution.

- The wires on the ground would benefit from more geo.

- Texture need more variety. On the door it just looks like you pasted a metal texture on top and called it finished :/

- The lighting needs more love. As mentioned before its pretty flat . Maybe add some post processing or particle effects to help enhance it.

- The middle opening is distracting and unappealing to me :/ Its just a huge blaring light that doesn't make much sense. I'd maybe add a skybox or something else up there and have the interior lighting do the work.

Those are just my crits and I think you have a great scene going :)

I have some particle systems in there, but it could do with some more. I understand the textures need some love as well. Thank you for your critique! I shall work on these when i have time in between my classes.
  • Brygelsmack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brygelsmack polycounter lvl 11
    The lighting looks very flat, I'd say work on that primarily. I think it's too bright, and it lacks shadows. Textures are a little boring as well, might want to make the metals more reflective etc. You also got some ugly seams on the walls.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    I'm surprised noone has mentioned it, but the atmospherics (the 'fog') is a very important component of that scene and strongly complements the lighting.

Texturing doesn't need more variety - if anything it's actually over-complex. A large quantity of scenes in Halo 4 seemed to use a largely flat colour diffuse with detail normals. I suspect this is because they UV'd everything in much the fashion as if they were trying to fit everything into one texture (take a look at the UDK single texture environment in the showcases if you're not sure what I mean).
  • KartoonHead
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KartoonHead polycounter lvl 4
    your metal looks like concrete, use a dark diffuse, bright spec and a flat normal
  • J0NNYquid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    J0NNYquid polycounter lvl 5
    Just sort of echoing what others have said, but your lighting is your biggest issue right now. Overall you need more contrast between dark and light areas, it's just not visually interesting if everything is one value. I'd draw down the dominant light in the scene and instead let the shadows/light come from the smaller lights you've got in there.

My other issue is with the materials you've used, it's far too noisy, and in the ref you can see everything is pretty smooth/clean.