Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

New comer 3d enviroment post

Daniel Duy
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Daniel Duy polycounter lvl 5
Hi every body, this is my first post at Polycount. Please give me some critique to get better, thank you :poly :)

Replies

• elementrix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    elementrix polycounter lvl 15
    Looks great apart from the fact that the rock texture has a much lower texel density, also I think you can make the background in the first image a bit less busy so that the focus lies more on the thing you are trying to show.
  • Daniel Duy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you, my first environment piece, so there is many things to learn, it really good to have ideas form other artist. Next time I'll try something with UDK.
  • pixelb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelb greentooth
    This is beautiful! I like the different things going on in the foreground, middleground, and background. The one thing I would change is the hut - it looks like it has less geometry than the rest of the scene and the roof is very flat, I'd model out the bamboo and make it more sloped.
  • pixelb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelb greentooth
    It's a giant fish?! I can't believe I just noticed that.
  • imperator_dk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imperator_dk polycounter lvl 10
    Beautiful stuff there, my main gripe would be with the wildly varying texel density.
  • Daniel Duy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah, I was too concern about working with limited resources and forgot the main point is making the environment looks great. It 2 x 1024 and 1 x 512, kinda old school game.
  • serriffe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    serriffe polycounter lvl 9
    Hi Daniel, first off, I'm liking the art style good work man. My only thing on it is the right lighting mood that matches your environment - I think if u got the right lighting in your scene it will definitely compliment your environment. I would definitely mess around with weak warm color light and strong cool light or vice versa - just a last thought, u can probably look at some Diablo 3 lighting schemes for starters- :)
  • Fenyce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fenyce polycounter lvl 11
    Hey, just recognized the fish after pixelb mentioned that! It's an awesome idea! But this gets lost because there so much to look at and you don't spent much time on the bottom, because it doesn't seem very importend at first glance.... the fish needs to pop out a little more.
    The cliff right at the foreground and the fact that it's vertical fin is cut might support that you don't see the fish right away.

The most time I spent thinking about how someone is able to enter that building... I don't see staires or a ladder or a bridge to it...
  • Daniel Duy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm so glad that you guy realize there is a gian fish. As my first thought, it might be a surprising element but you right, the fish need to be more noticeable