Home Technical Talk

Monitors and Graphics Cards

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Velktri polycounter lvl 6
Hey everyone. My birthday is coming up and I'm considering grabbing a new monitor. After searching through a lot of articles, I found the crossover and fell in love with it. Unfortunately, the crossover says it's not compatible with my graphics card (Radeon HD 5770). That's not too big of an issue, I'll just grab a new graphics card. After some more searching, I have a lot more questions I hope you guys can help me with.

I've decided to go the Nvidia route, but I don't know which card would be best to pick up. The card can't be too powerful because I don't think I have the power supply capable of handling it and I really don't want to buy a bigger power supply on top of everything else. Would a gtx 650 or gtx 640 work out just fine compared to the Radeon 5770? I think I would be pushing it in terms of power supply if I got the gtx 650 but I'm not sure.

This is my PC's specs: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02504608&cc=ad&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_r1002_usen_c-001_title_r0003#N366

Replies

• Optinium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Optinium polycounter
    Why isn't the 5770 compatible with the Crossovers? First I've heard of it.. are you sure it's not 'supported' i.e it will work fine they just haven't tested it. As far as I'm aware 5770's are also dual-link capable to, so you shouldn't have an issue running the monitor @ 2560x1440 (although high quality gaming won't be to fluid).

As far as comparison to the the nVidia GPU's you've mentioned (if we're talking 1gb versions) then the 5770 is very similar in performance, in some cases its better, the only downside compared to those nVidia cards is power consumption.
  • Velktri
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Honestly I haven't found a specific answer to why the crossover isn't compatible. The Amazon review says the the monitor uses bypass type boards and is not compatible with certain cards. The overclocked crossover review also says the same thing, though it doesn't say the reason for compatibility issues.

Here are the to links to the review/product.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Crossover-27Q-LED-Monitor-Resolution/dp/B00ABWQZJC/ref=sr_1_57?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1364823766&sr=1-57&keywords=27+ips+led"]Amazon.com: Crossover 27Q LED 27" 27inch LED Monitor S-IPS, QHD 2560 x1440 High Resolution, 16:9, 1000 : 1, DVI (Dual link), Tilt, Vesa mount: Computers & Accessories[/ame]

http://www.overclock.net/t/1332252/review-crossover-led-p-2560x1440p-monitors
  • Optinium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Optinium polycounter
    I can't find anything to suggest that something bad will happen if using that monitor with your current GPU. A quick look on some forums suggests that 1 guy has the same monitor/GPU combo and another person using one of the 'not suggested' cards needs to turn on his monitor AFTER his PC to avoid a small screen glitch.

If I were you I'd do one of 2 things...

A. Buy the monitor and try it, if it's fine WIN if it doesn't work return it OR buy a new GPU as you intend (no point in downgrading if you can avoid it and save money.

OR

B. Put the money you intend to spend on another GPU towards buying a better monitor, one with better warranty, service, quality and without restriction.
  • Velktri
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks optinium. I guess I have some thinking to do then.