Home Technical Talk

GrabViewport wrong size and aspect ratio

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
lean polycounter lvl 5
Hello, I don't know if any of you already had this problem or not. I've been searching through the forums and the internet, but found nothing specific.

sooo I have two problems with the grabviewport script running on 3ds max 2011:

1-
if I check x2 antialiasing, the final rendered picture ends up with a wrong aspect, I mean the size is correct, but the image is noticeable stretched vertically (or shrinked horizontally,).

2-
then I try to just render without antialiasing, BUT to my surprise, the result is a smaller (at least proportional) image than the size I specify.

I also tried the crop option, but that didn't fix it...

Anyone experienced this issue or has a clue of why it could be happening to me?

FIXED-ish:
The capture works fine if you just maximize the desired viewport... wtf

Replies

• lean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lean polycounter lvl 5
    Sorry. By the way, I just checked and this problem happens with max 2011. I used to use 2013 before, and this didn't happen.
  • lean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lean polycounter lvl 5
    UPDATE:
    this only happens with 2.5 version. I just tried 2.1 and it works, but it lacks some features like AA, presets, etc.
    I also tried deleting the macroscript file and reinstalling, but the problem persists.
    I read that with max 2009 something called avguard is needed for version 2.5. Is this needed with 2011?
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    The avguard maxscript extension is included in Max 2010 and up.
  • lean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lean polycounter lvl 5
    thanks, monster.

Anyway, I can't really use the older version because it always crashes when exporting animation and doesn't support pong sequence, plus it screws up my materials when i try to close grabviewport...

with 2.5 I just noticed that the capture it takes is actually wider and vertically narrower than my viewport proportions. when not using AA it just gives me that capture (also smaller than the size i specify), and when using AA, it resizes that bigger but still unproportional capture to the correct size, so that's why it ends up deformed.

Anyone bumped into this issue ever?

FIXED-ish:
    The capture works fine if you just maximize the desired viewport... wtf