Home Technical Talk

[GDC2013] Physicaly based rendering with Fox engine - MGS5

Very nice presentation covering aspects of:
  • Asset creation
  • Lighting, shaders and camera
  • Graphical engine

in physically based real time rendering used in Metal Gear Solid 5

If you don't want to watch the trailer and shenanigans skip to 19:00

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQMbxzTUuSg"]Hideo Kojima GDC 2013 Panel - MGS5 & Fox Engine - YouTube[/ame]

Replies

• Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    So mainly specular in physically based rendering is a real time reflection with parameterizable strength and glossiness? And diffuse is just color information? If thats all, then i think its "easy" to reproduce in UE for example not?
  • Tom3dJay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    if I remember correctly, this piece was made for physical based rendering.
    I talked to the guy in dA, but I can't find his submission there.

Mushroom Powered Beretta PM 12
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1555247&postcount=3813
  • shaderfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shaderfx polycounter lvl 9
    Fantastic achievement by the Fox engine team.
  • mikiex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mikiex polycounter lvl 5
    Yes, thanks for pointing out this video - very interesting to see what they are doing. In the past Japanese development sometimes doesn't feel so in sync with the west, but these days it feels a bit more in-sync. Some areas have of tech have been behind, others quite forward. (Does this make any sense to anyone!)

All the stuff they are doing in Fox engine looks to be what a lot of others are already doing but you can tell they have really been meticulous with the details. Pulling it all together must of been quite a task.

I would of pointed out to them the reflections on the pictures in their conference room need some work :)
  • o2car
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    o2car polycounter lvl 16
    mikiex: I agree!
    Konamis Fox Engine, Square Enix Luminous Engine and Capcoms Panta Rhei Engine.

Very happy to see they are finally catching up. Hopefully it will bring back their self-confidence in game creation.
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 10
    Obscura wrote: »
    So mainly specular in physically based rendering is a real time reflection with parameterizable strength and glossiness? And diffuse is just color information? If thats all, then i think its "easy" to reproduce in UE for example not?

After talking to someone at Crytek about Physically Based Shading at GDC, I've been trying to do some research on it. Haven't found too much that's useful, except this post.

From what I understand, we will be using things called albedo/diffuse, roughness, substance, and normal. Normal will be the same as it is now. The albedo/diffuse will be the basic texture without any shadows/lighting added to it. I'm guessing we may be using the occlusion map separately now too. The roughness map will work like a gloss map and determines the surface type, while the substance map seems like it'll work similarly to a color map from dDo-where each color represents a material type.

I could be completely wrong though...
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    I'm a little bit confused now, because i thought the substance is the "specular"(reflection) strength or/and color(overlayed color on the reflection?). Or I thought wrong?Also, i did a few test in UDK (mainly about custom materials, and did the ao stuff, what can be fading based on the light/surface. I did this successfully) and its not so simple, because of the real time reflection...Yes, we can substitute this with some cubemaps, but this would be problematic in a large scene, because then we need a lot of that cubemaps. Btw using real time reflections on everything is not too expensive?

Anyway, I'm planning to make the UDK implementation of this (already started) to share it with everybody here once i finished.Is it a good idea or not?

edit - I looked at this once more
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1555247&postcount=3813
    And i think i thought good. Its clearly visible at the spark plug section on the texture.
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    This isn't very new stuff, I know many studios using this model , including us. If you want to experiment with them kodde made a viewport shader for maya awhile ago, here is the link.

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1441311