Home Technical Talk

Problem with Zbrush Masking

tweekedgirl
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
tweekedgirl polycounter lvl 4
Hiya guys, I hope someone can help.

I'm working on a tileable brick texture in Zbrush, and I've imported it from Max with each brick as a separate polygroup. When I isolate a certain brick to sculpt detail on and then clear the mask to display all bricks again, the sculpted detail is disappearing.

I'm not sure what's causing this but I'm sure it's something like a simple button I don't have clicked. I was working on another texture yesterday and I didn't have this problem at all. I've tried initialising Zbrush, auto-grouping the polygroups, and converting to a polymesh 3D but I can't figure out what's going on here.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• Kon Artist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kon Artist polycounter lvl 8
    This sounds a little strange. Could you post some pics. or a video?
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Are you simply sculpting them, or are you using extra stuff like Layers, Dynamesh, etc, since all of those don't play nice with isolation or masking.

Also, are you isolating your mesh or masking them?

Do they need to be all in one group, or can you split them into different subtools?
  • Kon Artist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kon Artist polycounter lvl 8
    Layers shouldn't effect your poly groups. Dynamesh will turn your mesh into one poly group. If parts of your model hidden, you can't activate Dynamesh. Some pics. would be very helpful...

Is the tool your loading or mesh your importing made correctly? You should import the .obj as one mesh, but each brick needs to independent of each other. Do not weld, merge verts b/t bricks.
  • Optinium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Optinium polycounter
    When you re-isolate the brick does the detail come back out of curiosity?
    When making the base mesh of bricks in Max I take it you're offsetting them to repeat, if so you haven't got a duplicate brick which covers the one you're isolating when they all show?