Home Technical Talk

Vertex Normals - Maya 2013 issue

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
riuthamus polycounter lvl 11
I have tried everything i know and can not solve this problem:

gallery_1_2_91476.jpg

The part that is darker was added on via the "create polygon mesh" tool. I extended it with an extrude and then tried to normalize the vertex normals.

gallery_1_2_77915.jpg
gallery_1_2_330617.jpg
gallery_1_2_190312.jpg

I have averaged the normals ( which is pretty much all i know how to do ) and that does not work. I have checked to make sure they are all welded ( at least that is how i thought to do it ) and everything seems fine. If you need a video let me know and I can provide one.

Replies

• riuthamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • riuthamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I had a friend load it in 3dmax and he added a new texture to it, and the problem seems to have gone away. Could this be related to that?

out.png
  • pinkbox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    try assign a new material to the whole mesh. looks like the finger tips have the default lambert and the rest you have previously assigned a phong/blinn
  • riuthamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hm... good to hear, thanks for the info!
  • Shanthosa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shanthosa polycounter lvl 11
    Did you try Normals -> Soften Edge?

If the problem persists after that, try coming in close and switching to vertex face mode and make sure that there is no internal geometry on that border area. Make sure that you haven't generated any T-shapes when you were extruding. This can lead to shading similar to what you're seeing even if you have set all the normals to smooth.
  • riuthamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shan, what do you mean by t shapes? I have honestly debated on coming in with a new set of mesh for the fingers and shit. I will hit you up shortly, thanks!
  • Shanthosa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shanthosa polycounter lvl 11
    Non-manifold geometry, or T-shapes, are when you have a geometric edge that shares more than two faces.
    nonmanifold.jpg
    This will break Maya's smoothed normals. Make sure that your fingers have no internal geometry going from one outside edge inward and bridging to another outside edge. Try switching to Vertex Face mode and see that there are no internal faces.
  • zborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    if you havent found a solution all i can think of using conform function under normals menu if not you can always delete the unwanted geometry and drag the vertexes to where you want it and use insert edge loop function
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    just run the cleanup command in the mesh menu, it should let you know about any weird stuff like non-manifold geometry.
  • SamFisher45
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well this is a default property of Maya (one which seemed quite frustrating to me at the beginning). If you apply a different material to an object (which is obviously different than the default material which maya provides) and then, you extrude some part of that object, Maya does not automatically extend your new material preferences to the newly created polygons. It only assigns the default material and the result is similar to your model. There was a time when I used to pull my hair apart over this problem :P

The only remedy is that, goto face mode--->select all faces---> right click menu--->Assign existing material---> choose your customised material (not the lambert one, its the default material Maya provides)

The T-shapes were another cause for pulling apart my hair at a time. 3DS Max does not have this material problem. Once a material is assigned, it will keep assigning this material to every new polygon you create in the same object. Neither does 3DS max provide the accidental making of T-shapes, which all seems very good to me.
  • riuthamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you guys for this help and information. It has been invaluable. I have finished up fixing the model and found out that it was due to two textures being applied. Phong to the original and blinn to the hand mesh I added in.

gallery_1_371_331218.jpg

I have not found a way to remove the phong material so I just changed it to a blinn... Any clue how to remove materials from an object?
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    riuthamus wrote: »
    I have not found a way to remove the phong material so I just changed it to a blinn... Any clue how to remove materials from an object?

Just assign a material in object mode, and it overrides any previously applied materials.