Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] Justin Kirkwood - Student.

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
JustinK polycounter lvl 9
hey guys, with having just over a year of 3d knowledge now, im ready for some critiques.

thanks in advance.

www.artbyjustink.com

Replies

• alexk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
    Hey Justin,

Overall, looking good for your first year. I like the arcade scene and the TV. I think your latest work, the underground Mayan(?) scene could be better. I'm not sure if you are aiming for console or mobile for that scene. Right now to me, it looks like a mobile game. I can't really see if there is any normal map or specular map used. You listed you use Zbrush in the scene, but I'm finding it hard to tell which pieces had zbrush work done on. The latest Tomb Raider would probably be great to check out for a scene like yours and give you a bar to push for. And I mean, really push the forms of the pillars, ornaments, everything.

Lastly, just a little nitpick, I wish you had bigger screenshots of your scenes and a few more angles. Also great, would be learning UDK or CryEngine. But in general, I think you're doing pretty well, all things considered. Keep it up
  • JustinK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JustinK polycounter lvl 9
    @alexk thanks for your time man. yeah i wasn't pleased with the outcome of the mayan scene, and i totally agree with you on the normals, not sure if it was a low light reason or if i wasn't showing them right in Unity.

thanks for your critiques and ill take that on board, i also know UDK, but the scene was for a University project which we were told to use unity.