Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] - Carrie Warwick, Environment Artist

tweekedgirl
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
tweekedgirl polycounter lvl 4
Hey Polycounters, I'm due to graduate in around 5 weeks time, and so I'm in the process of working my portfolio up to a point where I can send it off.

www.carriewarwick.co.uk

Just looking for some comments on what people think of it so far, and any improvements I can make.

One thing I'm not 100% on and perhaps you can advise? On my front page I have my two final year projects as they are my strongest pieces. Though I've also left on my older stuff and that's accessible from my portfolio drop down menu. Do you think I should keep these or just scrap them completely and fill up the site with newer stuff?

Also, should I have my resume view-able on the site itself, or is it fine to just have it as downloadable only?

Replies

• Optinium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Optinium polycounter
    I'd personally shrink the header, it's a bit overbearing.

Texture breakdowns with some wireframes wouldn't go amiss.
    I'd say if the older stuff doesn't contribute or serve a purpose (ie showcasing a specific skill) then don't use them.

As for a resume on site, I feel your work should do the talking, if people are generally interested they will download the resume anyway to keep for their records, I guess this is personal preference though.
  • tweekedgirl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Optinium wrote: »
    I'd say if the older stuff doesn't contribute or serve a purpose (ie showcasing a specific skill) then don't use them.

100% agree with that now you put it that way. If I'm hiding it in the menu then clearly I don't really want people to see it. So have removed those now.

Also shrank the header so no pointless scrolling on 1920 x 1080p. Need to get rid of that awful Weebly banner at the bottom xD
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your Model T seems too angular; the rear corners especially should be rounded, and the body is actually widest above the door handles, sloping slightly inward below them. You are also missing a rather lot of detail on and around the tail gate. Don't be afraid to add polygons on large or significant pieces of geometry; even low-detail background vehicles now have over 5k polygons. The weathering is a nice start, but it seems almost random; try to concentrate it in areas where water will drip or settle.

2010%2029Ford%20Nov%20%284%29.JPG

The interior seems rather unfinished - the walls especially have too much unrelieved black. The seats also don't fit the design; bench seats were the norm until fairly recently, with bucket seats first appearing after the war. If you are going to focus on the interior in the video, spend some time bringing it up to the level of the rest of the scene.
    1923_Ford_Model_T_UPS_interior.jpg

The fence design is odd - there is typically a single post between beams, rather than the double posts you have. You should also consider having the posts leaning slightly, and having a few beams supported only on one end.

The hay rolls, especially the foreground ones, seem too perfectly round. They are often thicker towards the center, and the ends tend to show slightly irregular layers as the hay is rolled. The standing roll is also very atypical - they almost always remain on their sides.

You might also want to add some detail to the dirt road.
  • TWilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TWilson polycounter lvl 18
    I dig it. I like the parallaxing on the banner.

Wireframes would be nice.

You're missing a location. If I find you on the web I'll want to know if you're in the same country or city as my company.
  • tweekedgirl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys,

DWalker - thank you for the advice on the car scene. If I had the time I'd love to update this, but in all fairness once I've finished uni and started on my next environment I'll be removing it from the site in place of something much prettier :)

TWilson - Glad you like the layout and such. I've updated all the pages so they've got my location clearly visible, and will get some wireframes up in the next couple of days.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    I would change the lights from red to orange or light orange so it fits in better. (on the first scene)
    Also make more things, flesh out your portfolio. MOAR STUFF.
  • djgardner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Show some wireframes of your map.
    Maybe showcase a few props/ assets from the River Scene, then do a breakdown showing maps, wireframes, high poly model, etc.
    Do you have any light maps for the River Scene? I'm looking at some places, and noticed obvious shadowing would be there, but isn't. Example: tree's show no shadow on rocks or water
  • tweekedgirl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Have updated with some breakdowns of a couple of assets from the Chinese scene, along with some of the tile-able textures I created.

Will be starting a new environment as soon as uni is done, so that'll be adding to the website's content asap.