Home Technical Talk

male character modelling, with penis or without ?

I know that there is no need at all to model it in the game industry.
But I've seen some realistic characters at turbosquid been modeled with genitals.
In this case it would be much harder to skin character I suppose (female much easier).
What would be the most correct way. Penis should be extracted in the separate mesh and character will be skinned wihout it? But there is the problem with normal maps seams. Any idea?

Replies

• Ace-Angel
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    I don't understand what your end goal is. Is it for a game? Is the penis required? Can it be detached? Etc.

If you're making 'certain movements' in the pants, then you most likely will have to add extra bones to your rig so you can get the penis on a handle and move it around, you might also want set up some morph targets to simulate soft tissues.

If you mean more like just your generic naked model for posing in medical books, then you don't have to worry about that, just rig it directly to your Pelvis and call it a day.

EDIT: Wait, never-mind, you are asking about texturing the penis and the baking process, d'oh!

No, the penis will be attached, there is no reason to make it another mesh, especially since you could literally just select the groin area and with a few extrudes get a the basic cubes which with a simple Division or two will get your the general shape of the man's genitals.

It's bring zero benefits, unless you're making an MMO which required extracted customizable penises (kinda like Blended Normals used for faces for the seams around the neck).

As for the baking, in that case, it depends on the mesh honestly, most of the time you will want to give it a trident unwrap, coming from Perineum right, down the shaft, till the tip, maybe a couple of cuts down the balls too, you will get some stretching, but it's not to much of a concern.

Yes, this will cause some Normal map issues with the seams, you will need to compensate that by having enough polies to support the cuts from generating too heavy seams.

If you're making it for a game, then you most likely will need 2 versions, one with the penis and one without, unless you use morph targets to collapse the penis on itself like a blackhole and uncollapse it later on.

Cheers!
  • zzz7net
    Ace-Angel about MMO customize nice joke =)
    Of course it's not for the game. Middle poly character.
    Indeed it's a riddle for me why turbosquid models have rigged with genitals if the cloth covers it anyway.
  • Ace-Angel
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Most likely so they can sell the model also as a 'medical' anatomical model, minus muscle and bone. Hitting 2 birds with 1 stone so to speak.

It could also be because you have a much larger buyer list like this, if a person wants to use your model, they will, and will get rid of the penis, those who want the penis, have it on hand. It's kinda win-win.

Clothing is kinda included since many people who buy them models aren't going to wait around for some clothing to fit the model, especially if it's a simple sprite render, generic, etc.
  • Logsdon
    I am new here, so I come and see.
  • LRoy