Home Technical Talk

Lightning advice

Hello there,

I've recently finished doing sci-fi environment for my portfolio, I think something is wrong in this picture though, I'm terrible at lightning so if you give me some advice on how to make this look better, I will be thankful.

1.png

2.png

Replies

• Obscura
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    play with the lights radius,light colors, and with the post process a little.
    And post a screenshot from your scene without "game mode".
  • KnechtRuprecht
    Offline / Send Message
    KnechtRuprecht polycounter lvl 6
    I would remove that omni like lighting (Dont know the name in the UDK) and make those glowing things emit some light. Your scene lacks on shadows, or at least on some darker areas. This make it look very flat.
  • Elodin
    Ok, I followed ur advice, deleted the single sky light, added lamps with emissive lightning and added red glow to containers. How about now? I've done one half darker, second - a little bit brighter.

3.png

4.png
  • Froyok
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    I would try to reduce the number of light sources to create a better visual rhythm. Try some spotlights too, for scify environment it's often a much more interesting shape. Also, I would reduce the red color which is too violent currently and try to balance with some other lights with white/yellow or even orange colors.

By the way, do you have a lightmass importance volume in your scene ? It's important to compute correctly the bounces of the lighting. Also, try to completely disable the bounce of the lights and progressively reset the value to default (and computing the lighting each time), this way you will be able to see if you need a strong and balanced lighting or something more dark/shadowed.

Try to inspire you from reference, like Halo 4 :

halo4_inf_causeway19.jpg

halo4_inf_causeway20-3.jpg

halo4_inf_causeway20.jpg
  • Obscura
    Offline / Send Message
    First, delete, or tone down the main white light.I dont know where it comes from, but its way too bright, and mainly this is, what destroys your lighting.It it a directional light, or what?In my opinion, the red lights are not bad, but you need to give a little bigger radius to it.And give light to the lamps above the doors.And as i said, post process is your good friend :)
  • Eric Chadwick
    Chris Albeluhn has a great tutorial for Lightmass, might help.
    http://www.chrisalbeluhn.com/UDK_Lightmass_Tutorial.html
  • Elodin
    Ok, I followed ur advices, played with post-process module, added some new lights, changed to white-blue + orange lightning and played with other settings. This is what I came up with. I think this is the best I can do so far...

5.png
  • Elodin
    Halo 4 looks much more awesome though ) I'm jealous )
  • Cheathem
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheathem polycounter lvl 6
    I would say that your walls and floor are to noisy(to much going on) for the scene to take advantage of the lighting.Maybe simplify your wall/floor texture and add some specular to them.
  • Obscura
    Offline / Send Message
    Much Better :) Now increase the orange lights radius to the double (minimum), and the white-blueish lights to the two-thirds bradly. Just because the containers models are much more bigger then the lamp, and the continers should lighten up bigger areas then the lamps themselfs.
  • Elodin
    I'm pretty sure specs are okay, I checked it. Obscura - I've done what you said, it's really bright now, u sure it looks better this way? I think the previous version was a little bit better.

6.png
  • imperator_dk
    Offline / Send Message
    imperator_dk polycounter lvl 10
    Couldn't help myself.

EvF5kMu.jpg
  • Obscura
    Offline / Send Message
    this is too bright, and the previous was too dark.maybe somewhere between this two.is it the finished scene?or you will fill the other sides?just because it looks a little unfinished, and its easier to light a fully filled scene, because that objects will cast/receive shadows/indirect lights.and it changes the whole scene lighting a lot.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Good lightning makes a big difference.
  • Elodin
    Aye, I agree, I'll play with the settings a little more. Watched a couple of tutorials, including dvd from 3dmotive, but nothing solid. Nobody explains how and why they choose lightning.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Lightning is not the same as Lighting.

Snarkiness aside, we have some info here about lighting.
    http://wiki.polycount.com/Model%20Presentation
  • Elodin
    Thanks again, these ones helped to understand why there's blue light in lot's of open-world scenes.
  • Broadway
    Offline / Send Message
    Broadway polycounter lvl 9
    I think the "why" of choosing lighting is normally just about composition. Where do you want to create contrast and draw attention, etc. But once you've determined the light sources in your scene, you have a pretty solid idea what to do.

I'm no expert so my explanation might not be 100% correct, but I'll give it a shot:

In your scene, as far as I can tell, the only light sources are the glowing red tanks and the white/blue lights above the doors (with the door lights being a lot less prominent). But, you've lit the whole scene with a really strong white ambient light. Ambient light is supposed to "fake" the amount of light that is bouncing around in all directions in a scene. It determines the light that is hitting parts of the scene that are not illuminated by the main light sources. In an outdoor scene on a sunny day, the ambient light might be pretty bright and will probably be blue, because areas that aren't lit by the sun will still be hit by reflected blue light from the sky.

But in an interior scene like this, there is not a whole lot of light to begin with, so there is not much opportunity for bouncing. So the ambient light will be pretty weak. Check out those Halo 4 screens - the shadows are really dark, basically just black.

Furthermore, in an outdoor daytime scene, the ambient light will be blue because it is coming from the sky (the atmosphere scatters blue light a lot more than other wavelengths, so the reflected light from the atmosphere is blue). But in this scene, any reflected light (whatever small amount there might be) will just be coming off of walls, floors, etc, so it will maintain the same color as the most prominent light sources in the scene. This means you will have pretty uniform colors between your shadows and lit areas.

Just remember that any time something in the scene isn't totally black, that light has to be coming from somewhere. Think about the source of the light to decide what its color and strength should be.

I made a quick crappy paintover to show what I'm saying. I don't know if this is the direction you want to go but I think something like this would be the result if you just had the glowing tanks and door lights illuminating the scene.

OsupKEH.jpg

Hope this is helpful!
  • Elodin
    Wow, sorry didn't reply sooner, but that looks awesome. I get what you mean, plus I've red a couple of tutorials by Chadwick (thank you again!). So I have an idea about light sources. More practise makes perfect I guess.
  • Eric Chadwick
    To be clear, most of the stuff I link to on the wiki was written by others, not by me. I'm just the sifter.

One thing that really helps me with lighting is to gather reference of game lighting and real-world lighting that I like, then try to break them down into which individual light sources they used, plus colors, intensities, and placement. It really helps to have inspirational reference!