Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Chinese Deli, Please Critique!

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
I Fought A Bear polycounter lvl 8
My most recent project has been creating a Chinese deli scene in UDK, below are screenshots of where it is so far as well as my reference images of the actual deli.
One of my top priorities currently is finding out how to get really nice looking stainless steel material for my counter tops.
I would greatly appreciate any critique!

tumblr_mjoov9g9YL1rrbqbco2_1280.jpg

tumblr_mjoov9g9YL1rrbqbco3_1280.jpg

tumblr_mjoov9g9YL1rrbqbco4_1280-2.jpg

tumblr_mjoov9g9YL1rrbqbco1_1280.jpg

tumblr_mjoov9g9YL1rrbqbco7_1280.jpg

tumblr_mjoov9g9YL1rrbqbco8_1280.jpg

tumblr_mjoov9g9YL1rrbqbco9_1280.jpg

tile_demo.jpg

IMG_3773.jpg

IMG_3863.jpg

IMG_3821.jpg

IMG_3809.jpg

IMG_3844.jpg

IMG_3776.jpg

img_5490b.jpg

Replies

• Sheers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's looking good! I think that lighting could use work in some spots so we can see some more contrast in color and you can show off any norms/bumps. Maybe to add some interest, take a decal of a cracked surface and put it along the walls in the back, because right now they don't appeal to me that well.

I'm sure once you get a nice stainless steel material, it will add more interest. Keep it up!
  • dissonance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clement St. in SF?
    Damn, I'm hungry now.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • nksilver5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nksilver5 polycounter lvl 5
    looking really good, nice execution on all the assets, looks consistent, and good lightning :)
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very nice so far.

The seats seem too low, and they still have a checkerboard texture.

The menu should be back-lit and slightly emissive. You might also want to make the area in front of the tubes lighter, or turn off the lights behind some of the menus as shown in the reference photo.
  • Anthy9986
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anthy9986 polycounter lvl 7
    I think the floor looks off to me. The tiles seem overly exaggerated, They are normally a smooth surface and even when they crack they crack large chunks off. Ideally the grout should be almost flush with the tile but in high traffic areas and high water areas the grout tends to wear out quickly. I noticed under the feet of the food counters the tile seems to have grey buildup, I am assuming you are meaning this to be sludgy stagnant water but it isn't quiet reading like that yet I think the edges might be a little too noisy.
    Overall I really like what you have so far :) I think you should push the floor more with possibly missing tiles, and uneven flooring leading to water build up and I agree a cubemap will really help sell the stainless steel.
  • I Fought A Bear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I Fought A Bear polycounter lvl 8
    I've been swamped lately post GDC and all but I have managed to do a complete overhaul of the lighting. Tell me what you think! :D

hayden_wu_deli_1.jpg
    hayden_wu_deli_2.jpg
    hayden_wu_deli_3.jpg
    hayden_wu_deli_4.jpg
    hayden_wu_deli_5.jpghayden_wu_deli_6.jpg
    hayden_wu_deli_7.jpg
    hayden_wu_deli_8.jpg
  • onionhead_o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    onionhead_o polycounter lvl 16
    i think the bbq pork skin need a bit more high frequency bumps to get a similar look to the reference. im surpise the chinese deli you went to looks that clean. usually the kitchen is that dirtiest place of the chinese restaurant.
  • Xelan101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xelan101 polycounter lvl 10
    I still think some major work needs to be done on the stainless steel. It still feels very Matte in most areas. I would punch up the specular, alot

our_counter_with_sink.JPG

Even when it's dirty and has damage to the surface, like in this reference, you still get some really strong highlights, and you should be getting this in your for sure, especially in the lighting set-up you've got going.

You can see this in your own references as well there's some exceptionally strong highlights throughout the Deli. I agree with some of the early posters Cubemaps will help, but it definitely needs a strong specular hit as well, and a tight gloss.

I work in the meat department of a grocery store, right next to the Deli, so I see areas similar to this, 8 hours a day, and the only thing that's throwing me off at this point really is that steel, everything else looks pretty damn good to me at the moment
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The drinks in the cooler - both the bottles and the cans - seem a bit squished.

The circular object to the right of the cooler, hiding behind the take-out boxes, is very blocky, especially considering the quality of the rest of the geometry.

Also, are you certain you want to use a real name & phone number? It's generally a bit safer to choose something similar, but not quite the same (although having the name in both Chinese and English complicates things a bit...) Also, "555" is typically used as the prefix in movies for a reason. Of course, none of this applies if you are doing this for or with the permission of the deli.