Home Technical Talk

How to get Alpha cleaner in ZBrush

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Chase polycounter lvl 9
I have my model subdivided as much as I can and the alpha still looks pixelated. Close up the resolution isn't high enough to capture the detail. Far away it looks good, not up close.

28716776.jpg

Any way to fix this issue seeing as I'm at my max poly count in ZBrush?

Replies

• C86G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    C86G greentooth
    What is the resolution of your alpha?
  • Chase
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chase polycounter lvl 9
    It looks like it's 72 pixels. All the alphas I have are pre made from other people, and others are pre loaded in ZBrush. I'm dragging out a few others and it's looking quite bad
    68990237.jpg
  • C86G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    C86G greentooth
    72x72 pixels? That´s nothing. No wonder you can´t get clean results.

Depending on what you want to do with it, you can have you alphas way bigger (try 512).
  • Chase
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chase polycounter lvl 9
    I can't just upscale the PSD's right? It looks like I might have to make these all from scratch. I don't know why the PSD's even preloaded with ZBrush are such low resolution....
  • C86G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    C86G greentooth
    Well, upscaling images don´t give you mre details ^^

Umm, are you sure these alphas are Zbrush standard? I don´t think so.
    Can you show us the image file of that alpha? Somehow that looks familiar to me and I remember it beeing quite good.
  • Chase
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chase polycounter lvl 9
    By ZBrush standard do you mean did they come preinstalled with ZBrush? These one's werent, but I loaded the PSD's of the alphas that did come with ZBrush and those are saved with a higher resolution, yet still come out looking pixelated.

Here's the Zbrush image file named "concrete"....
    concretes.jpg

Here's what it looks like when I apply it...
    49340527.jpg
  • C86G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    C86G greentooth
    I took that alpha and this it what it looks like on a hp cylinder:

qkz57z4b.jpg

That´s exactly what I thought it would look like. The alpha is quite noisy.
  • Chase
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chase polycounter lvl 9
    Still looks better then mine. Is there a setting I need to change in zbrush?
  • C86G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    C86G greentooth
    You can check the alpha/modify tab, but the default settings should work fine here.
  • Chase
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chase polycounter lvl 9
    I have 3 mil active points. How many is yours? I don't know why my alpha is coming out at a lower quality then yours when we're using the same image.
  • C86G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    C86G greentooth
    My cylinder had 2 mil, but it looks good with 500k as well.
    Maybe give it a try and reset/initialize Zbrush?
  • Chase
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chase polycounter lvl 9
    The document resolution was 72. I thought that's what you were referring to. The image is 1024x1024 so now I really have no idea why I'm getting these results. It's been like this every time I load Zbrush :/
  • C86G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    C86G greentooth
    Wait, document resolution can never be 72 pixels. You´re talking about dpi, right?

Again, reset Zbrush and try it then (preferences/init zbrush)
  • Chase
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chase polycounter lvl 9
    I'm also using an obj I imported which seems to be making the difference. If I use any default shape in ZBrush the alpha looks good, but on my obj it doesn't.
  • C86G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    C86G greentooth
    How does your OBJ´s topology (SD1) look like?
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Aim for a consistent density of polygons, and make sure the model is within a scale that zbrush likes. You can use the Unify deformation to quickly scale it.

Another thing to note with alphas, but sometimes the brush type can make a difference in the result, or how you go about applying it. Using that concrete image I can get a pretty decent result if I apply it as a mask and then use some deformations to inflate/deflate, smooth, invert the mask, darken the cracks with a tiny bit of polypaint, etc.

Lastly the image itself can make a difference. A 16-bit psd like zbrush creates should give you the best results. If it's a PSD that someone else created, there's a chance it's just an 8-bit image (and worse yet, a jpeg that was simply saved as a psd). I'd wager that the older the alpha image is, the greater the chances are that it was created hastily, and for an era where it's quality might not have mattered as much.
  • Chase
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chase polycounter lvl 9
    Here's subdiv 1
    76126458.jpg

Here's subdiv 8
    72140139.jpg

I'd say that the density in polygons may be it looking at my subdiv 1...
  • C86G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    C86G greentooth
    No wonder. As cryrid said, you ALWAYS want your mesh made of even quads for Zbrush.

Insert 2 more loops in the middle and it should be fine : )
  • Chase
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chase polycounter lvl 9
    Looks like this did the trick. Initially I imported an obj with even topology but that still didn't work.

58896949.jpg

67026202.jpg
    I went back to Max and added a few turbosmooth iterations and that seems to have done the trick. I've been reluctant to add a turbosmooth cause I wanted to have a really low poly to work with from the start, but that doesn't seem like a feasible option.

With turbosmooth applied in Max then imported and sub divided more
    77501474.jpg

On another note, how would would go about creating alphas like the cracks above? The concrete alpha looks like it was just converted into grey scale and doing adjustments from there, but what about cracks and divets? I've watched some videos on how to create brushes but it's more they tend to only cover what to do when you have the sculpt done.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Either the layer brush + a morph target, or mask and use a deform (or transpose) to create the layered look. Surface noise can take care of the inner rougher area (it can be controlled via the mask), and a number of brushes can help take care of some of the thinner cracks that branch out (like orb_cracks)
  • Chase
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chase polycounter lvl 9
    So like everything else it just takes time and some elbow grease :-P