Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[3ds Max - Rigging] Military ship hatch

Hello all,

I'm making a scene in UDK, and in that scene, i would love to have a military ship hatch (like this).

stock-photo-locked-ship-hatch-metal-door-at-end-of-hallway-navy-9448186.jpg

I made a door already

vpg1.jpg

But now i have to start animating it. I'm running in to quite some problems getting this rig to work.. (I'm new to animation).

For now, i really need reference of how the mechanism of these doors works.. Maybe a video or something, that would be really handy! (i can't find it.. perhaps i just don't know the correct terms)

Once i get some reference of the mechanism, i will most likely be able to animate it ;)

For now, this is my setup:

vpg2.jpg

I'm not excactly sure how the mechanism works, that's why i'm a little stuck rigging this ;)

Some video reference would be so nice!

Thank you in advance guys!

Replies

• DWalker
    It's actually fairly simple - I've included an image of a similar hatch that has been undogged.
    35%20water%20tight%20door%201024%20C.jpg

Once you have the pivot and connection points correctly mapped, there's really only one way things can move, and the only control is the wheel/lever unit.

Here's a link to a USN training manual that describes the various quick-acting watertight doors. Yours starts on page 4. :)http://www.hnsa.org/doc/doors/index.htm
  • NuclearCookie
    Thank you DWalker ;)
    That Training manual makes things quite clear!
    So if i get it right, The long metal upright beams, move a little inwards during the animation don't they?
    35watertightdoor1024c.jpg
    Because those "closing hinges" turn around a pivot point, causing movement as shown in the above image... Would that be correct?