Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio Progress

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
two_larsens polycounter lvl 6
Hello,

Whew! I have finally gotten to where I got a start on assembling my portfolio after quite a hike. There are a ton of images from an environment made in CryEngine. It is all original - all models, textures, designs and so forth made from scratch - except for the flames, which are Cry particles.

The scene was something I cooked up creating the portfolio itself, where I thought it would be fun to have a 'tour guide' leading the viewer through the environment. So, I then thought of something kind of cute, but medieval - a cross between the plausible modern and again, the archaic. In this case I came up with the Whatsit - a small, orc-made robot - something they in today's world would send into a shipwreck - a drone, if you will. It is sent through a chute, unearthed by a hapless crew of orcish wanderers, in the hope of discovering a new underground lair to inhabit.

Anyway, the short film depicts it making its way through the dungeon and eventually out, and that is where the slides comes from - the short film.
Programs used were: 3DS Max, PhotoShop, ZBrush, Mudbox & CryEngine to assemble it all in and create the final scene.

The movie will, as said, be added later in the week. There is no demo reel yet, but the movie is the reel, so to speak. As for the website itself, then it's basic since I simply had to have something before flying off to Pax East here tomorrow. It was a goal, and it was a tough go getting to this point.

Thanks for looking,

Henrik

Portfolio:

(Link may have to be copied and pasted)

Replies

• djgardner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, I know this is still a work in progress so don't take this to hard, but this may be one of the poorest portfolio layouts I've seen.

When I first opened the URL, that loading screen you have took about 20 seconds to complete. I wasn't sure what was happening or what to do. Maybe it was my computer, or the hosting servers you're using. When the site finally loaded, i was clicking 3DS Max, ZBrush, etc, on the left side because I thought you had your work organized by what program you used (Boy was I wrong).
    Your images are decent, but I didn't feel satisfied at the end of the slideshow. No renders of props, enviro breakdowns, etc. There isn't much to show off apart from the images.

You still have a long ways to go before I would even consider sending off to a company.
    Good luck with it, and gave fun at PAX.
  • Jet_Pilot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jet_Pilot polycounter lvl 10
    kill the flash site, its really annoying and difficult to view everything because every image is moving. Also your site doesn't keep the proper image aspect ratio. So it will stretch to fit a 16:9 and a 4:3 monitor differently and make your stuff look different than it really is.

Regarding your work, personally I think you need to sped some time with the spec and gloss on a lot of the walls. everything looks super shiny and glossy. Also you have a bunch of shots where the only difference was you moved the camera 10 degrees to the left, and I would STOP IT WITH THE DUTCH ANGLES!

have fun at Pax
  • djoexe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    djoexe polycounter lvl 7
    what i like the most out of your images is your lighting...really nice to look at.
  • TorQue[MoD]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TorQue[MoD] polycounter lvl 19
    I agree with everyone else that the website itself is proving a barrier to entry. Its a lot easier to simply create a series of screens that people scroll through vertically as with these forums.

Your work however looks very nice. Looks like something that would make an awesome Skyrim quest.
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd probably remove the demo reel link until you post the video.

Overall, I'd have to agree that KISS (Keep It Simple Silly) is a good design philosophy for artist portfolios. People are visiting your site to see your work, and anything that distracts from that isn't good. A simple layout of a main portfolio page linking to individuals pages for each project is common because it is effective. Also, posting textures and wireframes lets people get an idea of how effectively you can manage your resources.

On your About page, I'd recommend making a few minor adjustments. Replace "resided" with "lived" - both are accurate, but the latter is more natural. Try to stay away from passive voice - replace "Programs used are:" with "I've used ".

If you're looking for work, include a link to a resume/CV. Also, if you're looking for work in the US, you might need to indicate that you can legally work in the US (work visa, alien resident status, naturalized citizen). I'm not certain what the proper protocol is for indicating that, but most companies are reluctant to hire somebody when they'll have to provide a work visa (H-1B or whatever).

Provide a direct mailto: link on your e-mail address. It simplifies things for your viewers.

Get rid of the "You are here:" lines for your about and demo reel pages. The title at the top of each page already tells them where they are.
  • Wombatinahat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Like others have said. The work looks solid but you're not making it easy for people to view it. Potential employers are also unable to save an image for later reference. You should make it possible for them to do this and have you're name and web address on each image.
  • kodde