Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Tortoise Island

Hi everybody! Here's a project I'm working on. I am a student at The Game Assembly in Malmö, Sweden, and this will hopefully be in my portfolio when I am done with it. Lots of work left though :P

The plan is to make a floating island in UDK with a sacred statue of a tortoise-god and have tortoises walk around it. I am going for a handpainted style, but haven't really decided just excactly HOW handpainted I want it.

Also, I've never used UDK before, so I'm expecting a lot of blood and tears on the way. But I'm super amazed with what I've seen others do with the tool so I'll do my best to learn it.

Ref-pics:
refpics.jpg

Concept and more refs:
concepty.jpg

The only thing I've done thus far: A tortoise, both High Poly and Low Poly. The Diffuse isn't finished at all and there still isn't any specular map. I just tossed it into UDK to get a feel of the finished result while I was working.
tortoisepresentation.jpg

The tortoise-ref I've been using the most. Note that it is mostly its colour and texture I like, my own tortoise-mesh is a mix of about 30 different tortoises.
5200218775_aebb20e676_z.jpg

Please give me your support and critique, this is the biggest project I've ever attempted in 3d. :D

Replies