Home Technical Talk

3dsmax array problem

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
Hi I was toying with the array toolbar icon and here is a descriptive picture of my problem ...

The ring is not aligning along he splin but gets weirdly rotated or not centered following the path , what you think is the reason and how can I fix so to have the rigns flow along the path with perpendicular axis?

84031165.jpg

Replies

• C86G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    C86G greentooth
    My Max´s array tool looks different (extras/array).

Anyway, you could just edit the pivot and copy your ring by shift+rotate.
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    what do you mean edit the pivot and copy your ring by shift rotate?

You mean that it may be couse I created the ring out of center of the scene?

I tried that but doesn't change the results ...
  • k@rt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    k@rt polycounter lvl 6
    I was wanting to do something similar to this recently and a frind showed me that you can do it using animations/motion. Make your primitave shape animate along the path you want to array along (using splines for the path) and you can control its orientation using points, attachments and parenting... and there are options in the motion tab also for corner banking/direction rotation. Once you have the object animating the way you want you can extract an array from it. Although I havent played with the technique much myself, it seems you have much more control that with the array tool alone.
  • C86G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    C86G greentooth
    1. edit pivot and shift+rotate and type in wanted amount of copies instances. This is the easiest and fasted way imo.

9lpijftb.jpg

2. edit pivot and use extras/array. This gives you a bit more control.

7wk54nlr.jpg

3. create spline, go to animations/constraints/path constraint and select the spline. Then go to tool/extras/ and hit the third symbol (forgot its name...). Select range and edit the count.

hoewpkqg.jpg
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    This is the video I was following ...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lr5ucmH0p90

but It is not working to me as in the video , when I click the same things and the same settings the ring is not aligned ...
  • C86G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    C86G greentooth
    Yeah, that is another option. There are way more.
    But for simple stuff you can use one of the quick methods I´ve shown you.
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Yes but why to me dont work? I have the same options , the pivot is fine but doesnt align well... Perhaps the spline is not good?