Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Arenanet Character (first time posting)

Ganondrake
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Ganondrake polycounter lvl 5
Hello, this is my first time posting on Polycount and sculpting a character in Zbrush so i apologize for this potentially terrible thread, however i could do with some critiques on now to improve this model as well as suggestions on what techniques i could used to create the fur/hair.

any helpful comments would be very much appreciated :)

74445_10151572227739252_76271704_n.jpg

580806_10151572227789252_329458471_n.jpg

579986_10151572227799252_209896554_n.jpg

246407_10151572227834252_53103930_n.jpg

Replies

• The_Blenderer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For improving the first thing you need to do is lookup some basic understanding of proportions and female anatomy.

I personally like Andrew Loomis books but there are plenty of other sources.

The average female height is typically considered 7 - 7.5 heads and so on, proportions of every limb is measured by the character head and you can look at yourself in the mirror and see for yourself that it is something true of every human (for example the length of the forearm excluding the wrist is typically roughly the same as the length of the head unless you are a mutant)

it also help to think about a character's Bone structure so you know how muscles overlay the bone structure and how skin sits on the muscles and how cloths sit on the skin etc. overall it will help your sculpt look more anatomically correct and believable.

I know it can seem frustrating when someone tells you "go study foundations" but it really helps and it is worth it.
    its true that there are alot of people out there who do cartoons or use references of women with boobjobs and never bother to study proportions, don't be like them.

Otherwise you can also ask someone for an existing concept to sculpt so you would already have the proportions.
  • Ganondrake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ganondrake polycounter lvl 5
    thank you for the advice, is there any specific Andrew Loomis book you could recommend i get started on?

also if anyone knows a good tutorial to sculpt fur and hair for this character i would appreciate a link :)
  • krisCrash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    krisCrash polycounter lvl 9
    I think Figure Drawing for All it's Worth is a good place to start. Loomis is really good for proportions and methodical figure drawing with attention to big forms and planes.
    I second Blenderer. Your details are nifty!! but your big forms need some boxing in. I personally find this super hard to do in sculpting, easier to make a mesh which has the character's proportions. But that's my handicap :P and surely for some people it's not a problem at all.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Some good points already made, I'd definitely agree on going back and starting again with the anatomy. Concentrate on forms and proportion, measure the amount of heads of the figure, etc. Have you checked out Scott Spencer's book on Anatomy modeling? Its based on the male figure but I think it will still help out a lot if you study it. Post updates of the anatomy, get it fleshed out and looking solid, then move onto clothing later. Good luck!