Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Environment Art Porfolio - Critiques and Opinions!

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Zafric polycounter lvl 7
Hi Guys, I've recently completed a few projects and feel that I have my portfolio in a state that I am happy with. However that doesn't necessarily mean its good enough! I'm really wanting some feedback on my website from my fellow artists, not just in terms of content, but also presentation, practicality, etc. So please feel free to tear me a new one, don't leave anything unsaid. I'll gladly take all critical feedback on board!

www.zafric.com

(I might say now though that if it is butt slow, its probably cos its hosted in Australia, if you think its a problem, and if you have suggestions on web hosting in North America or something, please let me know!)

Replies

• Penetralia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Penetralia polycounter lvl 5
    I think what you have is great and i really like how you broken down your environments.
    I would advise against using flash. Every time I go to a portfolio site with a flash galley I always have problems with it loading up, this might not be the case for other people but I'm sure I'm not the only person who could run into this.

Content wise I think the quality is pretty good. Your models and texture maps seem pretty clean. There are a few nit pick-ish things, like the vista for the alleyway in the rooftop screenshot is rather questionable but nothing really stands out as terrible.

However the content itself is pretty generic which kind of makes me take less time to look at it. This is probably just a personal preference but I get more impressed by environments and assets that use textures or tell a story that has it's own flavor to it.
    Another thing to consider is what kind of game are you making this environment for. It's important to think about what you are trying to communicate. Is this for an fps? rpg? will there be a boss fight or heavy combat in this area? Where do you want the player to go?

oh another note, don't publicly put down your work! If you introduce your environment like "oh hey here this cliche' looking environment" you've already hurt yourself because now that is what I am going to expect to be looking at. I think what you have when it comes to describing your process is great, just make sure not to let any personal opinions slip out- you want the work to speak for itself.

ALSO I just noticed you do introduce your environments with a story! I think I didn't catch that because it didn't quite feel like what you were describing...
  • Zafric
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zafric polycounter lvl 7
    Penetralia wrote: »
    I think what you have is great and i really like how you broken down your environments.
    I would advise against using flash. Every time I go to a portfolio site with a flash galley I always have problems with it loading up, this might not be the case for other people but I'm sure I'm not the only person who could run into this.

Content wise I think the quality is pretty good. Your models and texture maps seem pretty clean. There are a few nit pick-ish things, like the vista for the alleyway in the rooftop screenshot is rather questionable but nothing really stands out as terrible.

However the content itself is pretty generic which kind of makes me take less time to look at it. This is probably just a personal preference but I get more impressed by environments and assets that use textures or tell a story that has it's own flavor to it.
    Another thing to consider is what kind of game are you making this environment for. It's important to think about what you are trying to communicate. Is this for an fps? rpg? will there be a boss fight or heavy combat in this area? Where do you want the player to go?

Thanks for the feedback man! Your point about it feeling generic and about how you should build environments with a certain type of game in mind, really helps. I'll definitely take that more into consideration with future environments. Thanks again!
  • DudeinCA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The images that I can click on to expand seem to take just a little too much time to load. After a while I found my self just scrolling down and looking at the images that I don't have to click on.
    Good work though!
  • Zafric
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zafric polycounter lvl 7
    DudeinCA wrote: »
    The images that I can click on to expand seem to take just a little too much time to load. After a while I found my self just scrolling down and looking at the images that I don't have to click on.
    Good work though!

Yeah, fair enough, I might have to scale them down a bit, hopefully reducing the time it takes to load. Thanks for the feedback.
  • Zafric
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zafric polycounter lvl 7
    amile duan wrote: »
    Well,I think your site is very good now,proper structure and detailed information.Interface's simple but enough good indeed.

Thanks for the feedback! Any opinions on it content wise?