Home Technical Talk

What am I doing wrong with Tessellation?

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Zepic polycounter lvl 11
I'm having a problem with Tessellation showing up on my model. I opened up the forest map and saw the Tessellation working on the log models (saw the wireframe tessellating as well).

Anyway, I thought you set up tessellation the same way you set up POM (saving a displacement map in your alpha channel and naming it the same as your normal map except with the _displ tag). POM works fine for me. Tessellation however doesn't even show up when I check their respective checkboxes.
Does my geo have to be divided in even quads?
Am I missing a step?

I'm kind of clueless at this point; any ideas?

Replies

• repete
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    repete polycounter lvl 6
    Also had problems with tessellation and I worked out that the mesh I was using was static.

Are you getting any errors in the console ?
  • Zepic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zepic polycounter lvl 11
    repete wrote: »
    Also had problems with tessellation and I worked out that the mesh I was using was static.

Are you getting any errors in the console ?

I'm getting this:

[Warning] XML reader: Can't open file (u_bunker_back_tiles.mtl)
    Error parsing <u_bunker_back_tiles.mtl>: XML reader: Can't open file (u_bunker_back_tiles.mtl)

The thing is, I can apply my material to any in-game geo (models that come with the sdk) and the tessellation shows up just fine. However, when I apply it to the geo I've exported, it doesn't show up.
    So, I'm assuming there's something wrong with my exported geo?
    (I'm using the 3.4.4 version of the SDK, I'm also using an older exporter because the 3.4.4 ver didn't export out of max 2009 correctly)
  • repete
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    repete polycounter lvl 6
    it's your mesh.

What settings are you using to export to ce3 ?
  • Zepic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zepic polycounter lvl 11
    I'm using Max 2009. I'm using the standard Max exporter that comes with the Crydev SDK.
  • Zepic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zepic polycounter lvl 11
    Another thing that's confusing me, some options are working for one mesh, while some options work for the other... Here's a pic of what I'm talking about.

AXNgDuC.jpg
  • Zepic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zepic polycounter lvl 11
    it's your mesh.

What settings are you using to export to ce3 ?

Here are my settings; I think everything checks out?

vxg6w4C.jpg
  • repete
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    repete polycounter lvl 6
    Hi zepic

Your export settings looks fine, so we need to do some testing to get to the bottom of this. Are there any more errors in the console ?

upload a mesh (cgf & max) and your material, diffuse, ddn & displ and I will see what happens on my system.
  • Zepic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zepic polycounter lvl 11
    Hi zepic

Your export settings looks fine, so we need to do some testing to get to the bottom of this. Are there any more errors in the console ?

upload a mesh (cgf & max) and your material, diffuse, ddn & displ and I will see what happens on my system.

I'm at work at the moment. I'll upload some stuff when I get home tonight.
    Thanks for you help btw.

Another note, I think there's something wrong with my exporting (like old data from the dummy nodes... or something along those line, I'm not quite sure what's going on...) The reason why I say this is because my geo only shows up under Geomentity and not under the Brush tab.
  • repete
  • Zepic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zepic polycounter lvl 11
    Okay, figured out what was wrong. When I installed the new SDK build, I forgot to make an OBJECTS folder under the game folder.

So, what I had was:
    Game>Folder_for_my_Geo

Instead my folder hierarchy should have been:
    Game>Objects>Folder_for_my_geo

I realize if you put your geo in a folder other than the OBJECTS folder, it will make it a Geomentity instead of a Static mesh. That's why tessellation wasn't working, also, why I couldn't see it under the Brush tab.

Thanks for everybody's help btw. :)