Home General Discussion

Star Trek: Into Darkness

Who's ready? (nooooooo, just saw it was posted in Awesomeness Thread....crap)
dbFvT.jpg

Replies

• ambershee
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    That looks like London. I have to admit, not really getting a Star Trek vibe from this - will be interesting to see how it turns out.
  • dfacto
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    Crappy advert. I saw this one another site and as I was scrolling down I thought:

Holy shit, a new Blade movie!
    Wait, isn't Snipes still in jail for being a retard?
    Uh, Star Trek?
    What does Star Trek have to do with Blade?
    Nevermind.

Hope it's as enjoyable as the last one though. That was a fun ride.
  • JamesWild
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesWild polycounter lvl 8
    moar borgs

\/ see portfolio for more on Borg obsession

I hope it's as good as ST. I know some who criticized that movie, but not many, and even die hard Star Trek fans admitted it did a good job of making an exciting movie out of a franchise that'd slowly stumbled to a halt.
  • PixelMasher
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    hah reminds me of the dark knight rises poster with the bat symbol in the ruined skyline. similar with this one with the star fleet logo in the wreckage. thats benedict cumberbacht is it not? cool!
  • vargatom
  • moose
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    hah reminds me of the dark knight rises poster with the bat symbol in the ruined skyline. similar with this one with the star fleet logo in the wreckage. thats benedict cumberbacht is it not? cool!

thought the same thing. prob same agency?

the first abrams star trek was awesome, can't wait for this one.
  • Andreas
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    ambershee wrote: »
    That looks like London.

By gums you're right, the Gherkin is there. Double-u-tee-eef?

Quite enjoyed the last one, though never really was a trekkie. Used to enjoy watching DS9 after stumbling in drunk at 3am after a night out though.
  • SsSandu_C
    Offline / Send Message
    SsSandu_C polycounter lvl 13
    soooo the trailer is going to be like this
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40p5H44pRc4"]Mass Effect 3 Reveal Trailer HD - YouTube[/ame]
    and at some points with some of this
    and load of lens flare... you know it is the movie in which only the poster has no lens flare
    Even so looking forward to it :)
  • Habboi
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    The font for Into Darkness reminds me of Dr Who for some reason.

Looks dark and I like dark.
  • ambershee
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas wrote: »
    By gums you're right, the Gherkin is there. Double-u-tee-eef?

The Eye is also on the left hand side ;)
  • rooster
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    maybe it's another one where they time travel back to present day times and get up to mischief
  • ambershee
    Offline / Send Message
    Nah, the skyline has a lot of fiddling. There are some 'planned' buildings in the art as well as a few made up ones.
  • JamesWild
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesWild polycounter lvl 8
    What's the building opposite, the one made of triangular faces? I swear I've seen that somewhere before, but cannot place it.
  • ambershee
    Offline / Send Message
    I believe it's generic. It's reminiscent of the Hermitage Towers in Paris.

The Shard is missing in the image though, which is a colossal cock up seeing as it's the tallest tower in the country.
  • slipsius
    God DAMN this looks FANTASTIC!!!!!!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hq7iRPtmjwI"]Star Trek Into Darkness Official Trailer 2 (2013) - JJ Abrams Movie HD - YouTube[/ame]

Apparently its not Khan.
    http://gizmodo.com/5969102/full-star-trek-trailer-you-may-nerdgasm-when-ready
  • oobersli
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    rooster wrote: »
    maybe it's another one where they time travel back to present day times and get up to mischief

.... to capture whales so they can speak to an alien craft... lets hope current day writers can think of great stories like that still...
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    oobersli wrote: »
    .... to capture whales so they can speak to an alien craft... lets hope current day writers can think of great stories like that still...

LOL.
    That was pretty dumb. But I love Star Trek so much. I just hope it's got as good story. I miss stuff like TNG as well. Some people may think it's slow but I love it so much.
  • bluekangaroo
    Offline / Send Message
    bluekangaroo polycounter lvl 13
    can hardly wait
  • crazyfool
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    anybody else see it?

unbelievable movie!!!!! I is a CumberBITCH haha!!!! he just chews up every scene hes in and the environments are just something else, the world they have created is just jaw droppingly amazing and who would of thought the story would be so good.

Cant wait to see what Abrams does with star wars now.
  • Skillmister
    Offline / Send Message
    Skillmister polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah i saw it saturday night. I didn't see the previous film (well i watched it last night :D), and i never really watched star trek in the past but i still absolutely loved it. Visually stunning! First 3D film i've seen and it was 50/50 between ruining bits and making bits better though, not sure about that.
  • Darth Tomi
    Offline / Send Message
    Darth Tomi polycounter lvl 12
    It was fun to watch but it was all just a rehash of Wrath of Khan and other Trek stuff. (Khan is a MUCH better movie BTW, speaking from someone who actually saw it when it came out in back in the day).
    This one was just some fanboys wetdream. Don't they do anything original nowdays?
    (altho I did like Alice Eve)
  • Bobby J Rice 3rd
    Just saw it. Khan was far better in this new one. Less cheesy, more realistic. Something tells me the third final film will be a bigger khan showdown. Personally i never liked wrath of khan. Did anyone notice how awesome the warp core looked? Looked like a huge hadron collider machine. Awesome.

I didnt like the klingons though. They looked like heavy makeup trannys. No offence to trannys.
  • SouthpawSid
    Offline / Send Message
    SouthpawSid polycounter lvl 7
    ^I thought the same thing about the warp core! They did a great job on this movie, IMO. I enjoyed it.
  • breakneck
    Offline / Send Message
    breakneck polycounter lvl 13
    good movie. me likey.
  • Avanthera
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    Very surprised as to how good this was. :thumbup:
  • vargatom
    Action and pacing was cool, visuals and oh my that audio too. Cumberbatch was awesome of course.
    So I really liked it but there are some issues...

Abrams can't direct a space battle. It's just chaos and the tactics are from Galaxy Quest - shoot them with the red stuff, then the blue stuff. Ship gets wrecked, redshirts die horrible deaths, then somehow they trick the enemy and get to win.

It's as if there's only the bridge crew on the entire ship plus redshirts. Scotty and Checkov seem to manage the engine room on their own. Also, there's only the engine room, the bridge, the transporter room, the sickbay and the brewery.
    ST6 for example had crew quarters, kitchen, captain's cabin and such as well, the ship felt more like a real thing and there were people in it.
    So there's practically no difference between the Enterprise and the small ship they use in the chase scene.

And even from the bridge crew, most of the leads have nothing to do and no character either. It's Kirk, Spock and Harrison, all the rest do is one liners and plot progression stuff.

Also
    all the twists and reversals mean nothing to people who haven't seen Wrath of Khan.
    When Harrison reveals himself, it's only dramatic if you're a Trek fan - but you already knew he's Khan anyway.
    At least the reversals are brave and gutsy and work well enough. Wonder how different this Kirk can become if he's already willing to die for his crew.

But the last part was disappointing and stupid. Beam down Spock alone to face a superhuman; then send only Uhura as reinforcements? And yet, they still beat the damn superhuman??

So I'm still looking forward to a third movie, with a different director, and a more elaborate story. This one was actually quite simple and limited in scope...
  • moof
    Offline / Send Message
    moof polycounter lvl 7
    Fun but the main bad guy wasn't focused on being the main bad guy enough
    no point in mixing it up with the admiral and other stupid shit. Khan is the bad guy... make it personal you know?
  • Snacuum
    Offline / Send Message
    Snacuum polycounter lvl 9
    Yeah Abrams gives me the irrits as a director. He's good in general and I think the Star Trek movies are his best stuff, but stuff like Lost and Cloverfield (and even these Star Treks) he's so into throwing in ubrupt "SURPRISE!" "SHOCK" "TWIST" Not like M. Night, but simply in a "whoa whoa bet you didn't see that coming!"

Bang that guy died! Oh no it's really this guy! Oh no he didn't! etc. etc.
  • Di$array
    Offline / Send Message
    Di$array polycounter lvl 5
    Did anyone else notice that the Enterprise never fired a single phaser or torpedo in that whole entire movie?

Overall I was impressed and I enjoyed the little nods here and there to
    wrath of Khan
    . I'm especially glad
    Khan
    had a somewhat fleshed out backstory this time round.

As for the klingons, they especially look fierce and foreboding which I always found was lacking in the episode/movies I have watched. This is evident in the way they were placed on the steps.

I also agree with what vargatom said above about Spock beaming down for the showdown. That scene was screaming for red shirt death!