Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[CE3] Staircase study

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
gametime polycounter lvl 8
Hey,

I didn't post here in a long time, but here is a side project of mine. I wanted to test out some features of CE3 like the glass shader, pom and gi, tho since this is an indoor scene, the lightning needed to be tweaked manually.
I also wanted to see how much work can be done with quixel's amazing tools: dDO and the free demo of nDO2. Most of the assets were made entirely with these tools, like the doors or poster (btw: don't mind its logos, I just liked the art style, I know they don't make sense here).
And as always I tried to make this scene quite realistic, which is much harder in a scene that isn't full with little details like broken concrete and overgrown walls. And as always I'd like to hear your C&C.

cheers

002ppxog.jpg
0013lxyu.jpg
009hga7q.jpg
003vbl6q.jpg

Replies

• _DMage_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I can see the polycount but amazing work :D:D
  • gametime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    changed the poster (thanks XaKu for the tip) a bit and added a character (property of crytek) to make this scene look more life-like.

i also provided the texture sheets that were done entirely with quixel's tools. i only added a wood texture as an overlay for the door to get its fine relief.

0125pptb.jpg
    011jkrn0.jpg
    010ahrrn.jpg

Door
    doorx0q5n.jpg

Frame
    framegrppa.jpg

Floor
    tile6lptu.jpg

cheers
  • lildragn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lildragn polycounter lvl 17
    Awesome work! I'd play it :) The only thing really jarring is the wainscoting, it just doesn't gel nicely with everything you have here. I think it's the blackness around the detailing along with the lack of variation in the surface. Nice stuff.
  • gametime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @lidragn: idk often times these buildings have them and they offer a great contrast to the white plaster, i believe.
  • lildragn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    True, it's just here they call a lot of attention to the eye (at least for me). I believe if you reduce the black (cavity) in the crevices it'll help. Just a thought.
  • gametime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    just to be clear you mean these right?

untitled-112sal.jpg
  • lildragn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • gametime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmm, i dont think it looks better.

not_good7ts21.jpg
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The images take an incredible amount of time to load - I don't know if it's the huge sizes or a slow server.

The stairs appear too shallow. A standard stair has a run of 9-11 inches (23-28 cm) and a rise of 7.5 inches (19 cm). The landings are typically at a 12 foot (3.6m) height. The staircase might also be too narrow for the type of building; they're usually 3.5 feet (107 cm) in private homes, but tend to be wider in commercial buildings and expensive homes.

The picture frame appears flat and doesn't really seem to go with the rest of the scene. The grunge seems excessive given the cleanliness of the rest of the scene. The surface of the glass should also be both shiny and partially reflective.

For overall colors, you should look at reference photos for similar architecture. The green (linoleum?) of the stair treads contrasts rather glaringly with the black/white (tile?) of the floor. The brown of the wainscoting doesn't fit, especially with the darker brown of the wood trim.

Given the brightness of the window above the door, you might want to put a secondary light behind it.

The arch in front of the door is a bit angular in places given how close it is to the camera and the fact that it is nearly in profile. A few more polygons and possibly moving the insets would help.

And... still loading...
  • e-freak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    your normalmaps seem to have the greenchannel the wrong way around (do an invert on it).
  • gametime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the crits.
    i tried to address most of them. DWalker, you know a lot about stairs :). I didn't change my stairs to the values you have provided, however i changed the width, as i believe that this is something noticeable.
    i changed the material setting from pom to displacement mapping so this time the frame has real depth.
    added a light behind the door, but it is subtle.
    fixed the normal map.

overall regarding lightning and choice of color:
    the lighting is set to be unspectacular. it aims to be realistic but not dramatic. the wood materials have different colors, bc in real life not everything fits.

screens:
    013swye8.jpg
    014vobjm.jpg
    buggy5fxe1.jpg
    heater0dblg.jpg
  • gametime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message