Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

f4 phantom

I finished modelling this aircraft and after I finish texturing it im going to build an enviro around it like it crashed in the jungle during the Vietnam war and it will be all rusted and overgrown. I already made a bunch of foliage in UDK.

Replies

• ZeroStrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZeroStrike polycounter lvl 8
    I think that the jungle pieces look good. I would say that the F4 need some more texture work. To make it look more like painted metal. Beside that be looking forward to something cool in engine.
  • THRILLHOUSE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cool thanks. Yeah all I did was put the cammo pattern on in mudbox, I still need to put some wear and tear on it.. that should be fun :/ texturing is not my strongest attribute..
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The aircraft texture is missing quite a few details which you need to add before worrying about weathering.

One major problem is the color scheme - I don't believe either the navy or the marines ever used the camouflage scheme, sticking instead to their standard light gray/white scheme. If you want to keep the colors, just switch to a USAF bird.

The aspect ratio seems wrong - both the phantom and the maverick loo too skinny.

My favorite source for painting layout for aircraft are plastic models - the instructions typically include 5-view images and paints you can (after some detective work :P) match to actual Pantone colors. Even better, some very nice sites have scanned in the instructions, so you no longer need to buy everything! (e.g. http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10161006)

10161006t2.jpg

Scanned images of decal sheets are also extremely helpful - they serve as great templates when painting your own.
  • THRILLHOUSE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I see what you mean about the maverick. I like the decal shee idea too.

This is the scene I am working with but I still plan on re working the Phantom and making a grey veriant as well.

Thanks for the advice!

new paint job comming along!