Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Lara Croft wip...help please

Hey all, I joined here because some of my favorite game artists live here. Also because I want to learn how to do environment modeling, low poly assets and how to create characters.

I do 3d related things as a hobbyist so i can count the number of projects i have attempted with my fingers (i lack experience... so most things are experimental for me at the moment). Iam trying, in this project, to learn how to create a cinematic character for a game.

So, i need your help to improve what i currently have. Please ask and feel free to critique honestly.

My current concerns are how do i add pockets to the trousers and also how do i add them deep zig-zaggy folds at the bottom of the trousers i see so often. (3dsmax, zbrush, vray, ornatrix)

head and hair
wip12.jpg

clothes
clothes.jpg

boots
bootsstrip.jpg

Replies

• MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 18
    hobbyist ? no way!

that head model/texture looks really good. the hair looks fantastic too.

mind sharing how you did the hair ?
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Are you aiming for movie render quality or game render? Cuz that reads movie to me :/
  • slipgatecentral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipgatecentral polycounter lvl 13
    Something wrong with first pic, stops loading above her breast line. Could you re-upload full image somewhere else please?
  • gyarados
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @MM: yeah, but ive been learning for 2 years which is long time.

@JadeEyePanda: oops. Sorry, i worded that wrong. Its supposed to be for a pre-rendered cinematic. thanks for correcting me.

@slipgatecentral: theres nothing down there.

starting to work on the textures for the gun... do the materials look ok?.
    gun_wip1.jpg

Heres how i do the hair, it might be useless to you though if you do lo-poly.
    I do a sculpt using dynamesh sphere using selwy cloth brushes.
    I then decimate the mesh and export to 3dsmax -> Use graphite modeling tool(polygon strips) and make lots of them to cover the shape -> select all the edges -> make shape.
    Then i use ornatrix. One thing i do though is make sure the starting point and ending points are thin to give a soft look ( see ends and hairline of the render )
    hairwip.jpg

for any extra hairs(baby hairs and sideburns(?)) i use zbrush's fibermesh. I used fibermesh for the project below. I find only the groom strong and move brush useful the rest go crazy for some reason.

hair.jpg
    and the result...
    hair_test1.jpg
  • Treboras
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Treboras polycounter lvl 12
    3ot80y.jpg
    Hobbyist

joke aside, the upper body rendering is absolutely nice! Hair is looking good too! I would have a second look on the collarbone, it seems a bit bumpy.

The shirt / wrinkles on it also seem believable and the boots will match the outfit well.

One small concern with the weapon: The grip seems to go inward ... I'm not sure this is correct. beretta_m92fs.jpg
  • gyarados
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the critique i will make sure to make use of it. I did a google search on what the gun grip was, its the repeating diamond thing right? anyway, i tried to make it convex maybe needs a little more convexity?

I made some changes to the gun and done some more texturing. I forgot the post up the refs :
    http://www.modelguns.eu/desert_storm_m92.htm
    Most of my modeling is a botch job because i find it hard to model some of the shapes.

gun_wip2.jpg
  • gyarados
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Long time no post. I have made an update. I would like to know what and where I can improve.
    • Aesthetics of the face.
      Do any of the features look strange or out of place?
      Overall, what do you think about the face?
    • Clothing
      Integration with the body and in general.
    • Hair volume and shape/style

wip8.jpg
    one under a slightly different lighting condition
    wip9.jpg
  • Shyralon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shyralon polycounter lvl 11
    No way you're a hobbyist :D
    Looks really good (I like the skin shader/materiall) only thing which bothers me a bit (still looks good) is the transition on her hair from her head to the ponytail.. and her arm on the sideview looks a bit too thin for me, I dunno if it's just because it's not complete yet :D All in all very good, can't wait to see this finished.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Dang, this looks too awesome to be from a hobbyist.
  • razz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    razz polycounter lvl 9
    Looking sweet. I'm not getting tired of this new Lara Croft look. So much better than the previous ones. Can't find much to pick on at first glance. It would be nice to make the blood on her shirt wet. Perhaps you could push the ears back her head a little.
    Looking forward to see more of this ;]
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    i'll chime in when you got more work on this, keep going!
  • mr_ace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr_ace polycounter lvl 9
    wow, she looks really pretty, that skin shader's looking good so far too, keep it up.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Fantastic work!

I personally think the SSS is a bit too heavy making her look a touch on the translucent side, but a minor critique for a really kickass model!.
  • gyarados
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you everyone for your critiques and comments.

@razz to be honest I, too, only like this design from the tomb raider franchise.

Here are the changes I have made since:
    • Reduced the sub surface scattering by 30%.
    • Changed the facial proportions for a little more likeness to her.
    • Moved the ears and buffed up the deltoid in the side view.
    • Added some eye makeup.
    • Worked on the hands a little (added nails as seperate geometry).
    • Worked on the trousers a little more.
    • Changed the eyes to a steel grey colour.

Iam also learning about the ornatrix hair system. So far ive concluded that its very similar to Blender's hair system, but worse. That is all for now.

wip10.jpg
    walkie_talkie.jpg
    watch_wip.jpg
  • vikk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vikk0 polycounter lvl 6
    Really badass hair and skin, however I might agree with JacqueChoi about the sss. Now that is reduced it looks kinda lifeless IMO. I don't know if its something missing, but some red tones should be visible through her skin to avoid the cadaver look.

Anyway, keep the great work, I'm loving it! :)
  • gyarados
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vikk0 wrote: »
    Really badass hair and skin, however I might agree with JacqueChoi about the sss. Now that is reduced it looks kinda lifeless IMO. I don't know if its something missing, but some red tones should be visible through her skin to avoid the cadaver look.

Anyway, keep the great work, I'm loving it! :)

thanks for the critique ive separated the diffuse map from the sss map, hopefully its not as yellow as before.

So iam having trouble with the boots. As you can see from the first post ive done the hi-res, but now iam having trouble making it into something that is more manageable. Ive tried to retopologize it using qremesher, but it doesnt seem to like double sided models (doesnt keep the hard edges and just looks like melted cheese)?

I have also tried to use the graphite modeling tools to do the treads, but i think there are too many polygons with a not so nice result (crap modeling skill).

In my position how would you tackle the boots?

My plan is to revisit the models separately and fix/refine them up.

wip141.jpg

here is the tread iam trying to model.
    treads.jpg