Home Technical Talk

Why does my cubemap look like this :(

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
MeshModeler polycounter lvl 11
I cant seem to figure out why my cubemap looks so bad. my cubmap rez is 2048 on a 512 diffuse map.

the funny thing is that on other diffuse textures of the same size it looks perfect.

Thanks

vMqUZNp.jpg

Replies

• Ben Cloward
    Offline / Send Message
    Ben Cloward polycounter lvl 18
    It looks like a problem with your normal map. Try using Nvidia's normal map tools in Photoshop to normalize it.
  • MeshModeler
    Offline / Send Message
    Just normalized and reimported it back into udk. no luck.

are there any special settings i should check during import?

i usually just go with the default TCnormalmap, the only thing that made it look a little better was if i imported with TCuncompressednormal, but i got horrible shadows.

Thanks
  • Farfarer
    Looks like compression artifacts in your normal map.

Try normalizing your normal in the shader - as well as keeping the texture itself normalized before importing - that'll help a little.

Ultimately, there's probably not a whole lot you can do other than that (aside from leaving the normal map uncompressed, but that's a bit wasteful).
  • MeshModeler
    Offline / Send Message
    Can you explain the process of normalizing it in the shader? i don't think ive done that before,

thanks!
  • Farfarer
    Not sure, as I've not used UDK in years, but there should be a normalize node built-in to the material editor. I'd be surprised if there isn't.
  • MeshModeler
    Offline / Send Message
    ok added the node, but still seems wonky.

could it have something to do with the uvs?
  • BARDLER
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    Could it be the compression settings on your normal map when you imported it? Make sure it is set to normal compression, and not default.
  • r4ptur3
    Offline / Send Message
    r4ptur3 polycounter lvl 10
    how are you applying it to the shader? what does your shader hookup look like? does the map look fine if you plug it into the diffuse?
  • MeshModeler
    Offline / Send Message
    Here are my import settings nothing fancy.

@r4ptur3 as far as teh normal theres nothing going on its just a direct link from the map to the normal slot
    CMmX8EN.jpg
  • Ace-Angel
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    It's just artifacts in your map. Change the compression to "NormalMapUncompressed" and you will get much better results.

Please note the more degraded your Normal map is terms of quality from Photoshop (especially if you use pictures are your resource and use something like ndo to generate them) the more it will show up as acne on your map, since Normal maps aren't as forgiving as other maps.

The best way to avoid this is when making your normals is to use non-lossy formats, like PNG, BMP, non-compressed 32bit Targa, etc. and to watch out for any banding.

Lastly, make sure your other maps aren't affected by it too. Specular maps that are generated from low quality cavity bakes or your Normal channels can have the issues above, especially if you're using them as Mask for your Reflection.
  • dpadam450
    Offline / Send Message
    dpadam450 polycounter lvl 12
    The first thing to test would be making a flat normal map and verifying the pipeline is 100% working and then you can worry about the normal map. I'm not 100% sure that that is a compression issue.
  • Quack!
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    With Defer Compression checked, that rules out that the normal map is causing the problem because that has fixed similar issues for me in the past. Something else is afoot.
  • MeshModeler
    Offline / Send Message
    @dpadam450 i ended up trying what u said and applied a flat normal and the pixalation was complete gone i got a prefect reflection.

so i imported the original texture back and was going through the settings and EUREKA i found the solution i bumped the mips to remove on compression from 0 to 5.

worked flawlessly

thanks PC :D:D:D:D