Home General Discussion

Price of models?

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
DavePhipps polycounter lvl 7
I've been looking around at what people sell assets for on turbo squid, 3docean, Unity store and a few others.
It seems that for the most part people are selling lowpoly assets and characters at very cheap prices. Many are 10-30 USD.
I haven't really seen much that's up to the quality that I see here on polycount. Do nicer models not sell or does professional quality cost too much?

I was thinking about selling assets this way but I don't want to spend a ton of time modeling, texturing, rigging, and animating for a 20 dollar payoff.
I know the assets can be purchased by multiple buyers, but is it worth it?

Replies

• almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    what you need to bear in mind here are two factors.

1. you're selling to a crowd. this isn't the same as offering a bespoke service to a single client. where they want a unique asset that nobody else has. potentially hundreds of people will be purchasing your asset.

2. it's a gamble. you need to decide on what break even point you're willing to work by. there are plenty of people who make a decent living making hats for TF2. it's crazy but it happens. so you really need to make an asset that everyone will love, and want, at a price that "it'd be stupid not to" buy at. that way you're going to sell enough of it that you'll still make as much money as if you were making that bespoke asset for a single client.
  • Rockley Bonner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rockley Bonner polycounter lvl 12
    this thread is relevant to my interests...
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    make assets that everyone wants but isn't as "glamorous" to make - which is typically environment art & props. Michael O is the king of Unity environment assets in my opinion.
  • Fwap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fwap polycounter lvl 13
    It really depends on how much you want to get paid.

For me, if i where to make a model, texture it and what ever and put it up for 20$ sure i'd be underselling myself, if it was a one time purchase, but sell 3 of those at 60$ i'd call that a profit.

And its up on turbosquid for life.

What i tend to do is anything that doesn't make it onto my portfolio i just chuck it up on turbosquid.
  • Rockley Bonner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rockley Bonner polycounter lvl 12
    can you have the same assets in different stores?
  • Tekoppar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tekoppar polycounter lvl 10
    Yes you can RJBonner, if I remember correctly turbosquid has a deal you can make where the stuff put up there can only be sold there, but you get like 80% of every buy from the start. I'm sure other sites have similar offers too.
  • RyanB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavePhipps wrote: »
    I've been looking around at what people sell assets for on turbo squid, 3docean, Unity store and a few others.
    It seems that for the most part people are selling lowpoly assets and characters at very cheap prices. Many are 10-30 USD.
    I haven't really seen much that's up to the quality that I see here on polycount. Do nicer models not sell or does professional quality cost too much?

I was thinking about selling assets this way but I don't want to spend a ton of time modeling, texturing, rigging, and animating for a 20 dollar payoff.
    I know the assets can be purchased by multiple buyers, but is it worth it?

Set a goal for yourself and make assets that allow you to reach that goal.

My personal goal is $40 per hour. So, if I work eight hours on something I need to make $320 to reach my goal. I keep 70% of the $20, or $14.

$320/$14 = 23 copies sold, or about 2 copies a month spread over a year. This is a very easy goal to achieve if you choose the right genres and an art style that lets you work fast.

It takes a few tries and some mistakes to figure out what sells and what doesn't. Making lots of small packages spreads your risk and averages out your ROI.
  • DavePhipps
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavePhipps polycounter lvl 7
    Wow Ryan. It sounds like you're talking about stocks.
    I think I'll have to get onto researching what sells in these markets.