Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] DmC Cutscene

Hey guys!

Wasn't sure if this was the right place to submit this. It's technically 3d game art I guess, but its more animation.

This is a comparative cut scene I am making from DmC using markerless motion capture (basically £30 worth of equipment over a £10,000 industry standard Vicon system). All of everything here has been captured by actors, including the face animation. It is still in its early stages but I would love to see what you guys think so far.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwXjrlKD2lI"]DmC Cutscene - UDK Update - YouTube[/ame]

Any crits would be much appreciated

Oli

Replies

• Fenyce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fenyce polycounter lvl 11
    I really like the movements, especially the girls ones. Through the girl somehow feels overacted the motions are believable and interessting to watch.
  • Turkey-San
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys

Just a quick update on the DmC scene. Textures have been added although some edits need to be made to Kats face texture. Dante/Leon has been worked on the most so far, Kat has a lot of stray looks and general floats animation which needs to be taken care of. It's getting there slowly but surely.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wJJALMLmcw"]DmC Update (5-3-2013) - YouTube[/ame]

Any crits would be much appreciated

Oli
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    so... why are you using models ripped from resident evil?
  • Turkey-San
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Almighty, I was not aware these were ripped models :S I found these were affiliated with a GTA mod site so I assumed they were fan made?

I was hoping to focus on the animations as opposed to the models as none of the modelling in this scene was done by me. The map is a standard UDK map and the dialogue is obviously from DmC. Do the models put you off the animation?

Oli
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    they don't put me off the animation, and i wasn't pointing fingers, was just curious why you would use those when you could have collaborated with a polycounter to make models for you. that way both you, and they would have some good portfolio pieces, and could cross-link to each others sites.
  • Turkey-San
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That is a really good idea! I will open up the floor to anyone who may have a character or 2 who wishes to collaborate with this small cut scene. I would be happy to sort out rigging and whatnot but any already rigged faces would be a bonus as I might not get this done for my deadline otherwise! :)

Thanks for the idea almighty!
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    what is it being rendered in, if i may ask? a game engine?
  • Turkey-San
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It is being rendered in July version of UDK.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    awesome!

at the moment i don't have anything to offer you model wise. but if you do another one of these, please do ask some modelers before hand, i'm sure some would love to work with you on this.
  • Turkey-San
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey again guys,

It may not seem like a lot has changed here but its had quite a bit of subtle work done to it. For some reason the audio appears slightly off in the video, this doesn't happen in real time.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HYHcmyRE2A"]DmC Update (12-03-2013) - YouTube[/ame]

Work done - Kat has had her bipedal animation cleaned up a bit, she isn't a jittery anymore. Dante has had the turn that he does at the end smoothed out. The thing that has been added which has really pushed this scene along is constant eye and hand/finger movements. The hands are changing position slightly every 100 frames or so, its not super obvious but it is certainly noticeable when they are absent. For instance, Dante grips the gun harder when he says "and if I pull the trigger" and the second Kat explains that she will be killed he lays off his grip slightly and re positions his body. Another small thing with Kat is after Dante again says "if i pull the trigger", Kat briefly looks at the gun and then straight back into the eyes of Dante. It shows that for a brief second she lets on that she is some what worried but then tried to hide it by looking directly back at him.

Anyways any crits would be much appreciated and thanks for looking

Oli
  • Turkey-San
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys

Been a while since I made an update to this, I have been having to write the documentation to accompany it.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgpM9Jwgh_A"]All Elements - A Rough Look - YouTube[/ame]

I decided to make a quick video showing all of the elements that were recorded as well as show the reference scene so any final critiques could be made easier. After making this video I can see a few myself but I am sure I have missed a lot. The camera changes are not exact but I am giving myself some lea way there, it is more the animation I am interested in.

Hope you guys enjoy!