Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP - Armory Prop from Natural Selection 2

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
bigpunn71 polycounter lvl 5
Hey everyone this is my first post on polycount and I wanted to share my progress with you guys. I noticed on my portfolio that I don’t have any props or sci-fi style assets, so I wanted to address that. I came across a really cool concept from Natural Selection 2 and wanted to give this one a shot.

Concept.jpg
(Concept is the property of Unknown Worlds Entertainment)

I finished up blocking out the prop and as you can tell most of the asset is going to be modular. My thought process was to use as much modular pieces so I have more room in the UV space for more pixel density.

block%20out.jpg

I’m about done with the high poly, but I want to work on the wiring and electronics since it’s still pretty rough. Please feel free to give me any critique or feedback. I know my progress is fairly early, but I should have my high poly model posted soon.

highpoly_progress1.jpg
highpoly_progress2.jpg
highpoly_progress3.jpg

I am getting pretty close to finishing up the high poly, but there are still areas that need to be filled and polished. The road block I have is what to place inside the armory. In the concept I can get some information about what should be there but nothing clear cut. A friend of mine recommended looking at turbine engines, but if anyone else has any other suggestions for reference please let me know. Critques and feedback is welcome since I’m really trying to nail this prop.

Replies

• raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    Hey bigpunn71! Welcome to polycount! Nice to see you posting here. I think you are off to a great start! Keep it up! :)
  • bigpunn71
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Nuclear Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nuclear Angel polycounter
    Hi bigpunn71! Welcome to Polycount! =) It seems sweet this ^^.
    if you do not want to use turbines, and instead have a rough messy inside. I would say that you could use some wires and or something like that to break up the inside more to give the eye something interesting and asymmetrical. Because the piece is very symmetrical as it is, and as you have got the liberty to play with the inside, you could go for something more asymmetrical. Otherwise something like turbines and vents would be a great idea.
  • Mike_Carlyle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mike_Carlyle polycounter lvl 17
    Welcome to Polycount man! Your shots are looking nice! Keep it up :)
  • bigpunn71
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everyone sorry for the late update! I’ve been really busy this past month since I just graduated, got engaged and visited my family over the holidays. Now I’m back to working on my portfolio and going full speed on the job hunt! Since the last time I added new electronic parts for the weapons station. I used turbine engines, air compressors and other interesting industrial parts that caught my eye. Below are the reference images I found on Google’s image search.

ref.jpg

I feel pretty comfortable with the high poly and will go forward with optimizing and unwrapping the weapons station. I will try to get that done by the weekend and feel free to give any feedback.

highpoly_progress4.jpg
  • bigpunn71
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So far I got this bad boy pretty much optimized and ready for unwrapping. Like I said in the beginning of the thread most of this prop is going to be modular. That way I’ll have more pixel density for texturing. The total tri count is right around 8k. I was planning on the final product’s tri count to be right around 10-12k, which will probably hit after I copied all the pieces and weld vertices.

opt-1.jpg
  • bigpunn71
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally got done with unwrapping!!!! Next step will be packing in the uv shells, copy modular pieces around the prop, and start baking my textures. The image below is a screen shot of the unwrap in UV Headus, which is an awesome unwrapping program.

uvlayout%20DSide%20ProjectsPorfolioPropsWeapon%20StationModelsunwrao.uvl.jpg
  • bigpunn71
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well I think I finally won the battle of packing the UV's!!!! I didn't want my texture to have 2x1 ratio and wanted to keep it at 1x1. I rendered the UV's at 2048x2048 and will have the textures down to 1024x1024 for the final version.

UV.jpg
  • PogoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    The Armoury in NS2 just uses a 2048x2048 I think. For a building that gets so close to the player, I think you should keep it at that res.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Those edges... You know what to do.
  • bigpunn71
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @PogoP - Yeah I have to agree with you on that. I think it would be wise to use a 2048x2048.

Well after baking the normals I found that other areas were lacking pixel density, so I symmetry some objects to address those areas. I repacked and gave more pixel density to more of the important objects. Second times the charm!.... I hope.

UVS.jpg
  • jackalope
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jackalope polycounter lvl 11
    odium wrote: »
    Those edges... You know what to do.

oGewHNa.png
  • bigpunn71
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright everyone here is my update!!!! I finished texturing and setting up my scene for beauty shots, but with changes with upcoming feedback I receive. The prop was rendered in UDK with a light pass and post processing. I made a simple material shader so there is a slight reflection. All textures are 2048x2048 and the tri count is 36k. I did my best to optimize it as low as I can without breaking the silhouette. I know that is high and I talked with some friends who think this is ok if the player is able to come up close with it. Please feel free to give any feedback so I can polish this bad boy for my portfolio.

The following images were rendered in UDK.

Highres_Screenshot_00005.jpg
    weapon_station_S%20%282%29.jpg
    Highres_Screenshot_00007.jpg
    Highres_Screenshot_00008.jpg

Here is a screen shot of my material I made for the prop.

Unreal%20Material%20Editor%20weapon_station.Materials.weapon_station_MAT_3.jpg

These are a quick renders in 3DS Max of the wireframe, AO/Cavity/Normal, texture of the prop.

wireframe.jpg
    ao%26cavity.jpg
    textured.jpg
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    You should post your textures so we can have a better look at things. One thing that caught my attention is that your high poly, its bevels ( chamfers on max) are so paper thing, they definately show up on your bake. Next time try to exagerate those bevels a bit more.
  • bigpunn71
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Raul thanks for the feedback!! Yeah I will go over the high poly again to soften those edges more like you said. Also here are the textures!

weapon_station_D.jpg
    weapon_station_S.jpg
    weapon_station_N.jpg
    weapon_station_E.jpg
  • BobtheGreatII
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BobtheGreatII polygon
    What set of brushes do you use for your edge wear? It looks fantastic. :)
  • Gary Matycich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great job texturing. Dat uv packing.
  • toolpaddz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    toolpaddz polycounter lvl 10
    too bad you didn't follow odium's advice. What he meant was to smooth out the edges of the highpoly as they are much too sharp for a bake. You'll surely notice that yourself when looking at your model's edge highlights.
  • ljsketch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ljsketch polycounter lvl 6
    nice work on the textures.
  • bigpunn71
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @BobtheGreatll - I made a simple triangle brush and adjusted the brush settings to get what I want. I also went in with the hard brush to add those horizontal and vertical scratches.

@Gary Matycich - Thanks :)

@Toolpaddz - Yeah I just noticed that when Raul addressed it. I am going to go over the high poly model and soften the edges to get a better highlight.

@Ijsketch - Thanks!!!
  • bigpunn71
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spent some time going over all the suggestions and feedback I got, so here are the results

finished.jpg

I adjusted the lighting and post processing effects, fixed my high poly for smother edges, re-baked normals and texture polish. I am going to call this finish unless there is an issue. Also, i'm going to be working on the gun hologram and shader for this bad boy and possibly post a video of the end results.

Here are my updated textures.

weapon_station_D2.jpg
    weapon_station_S2.jpg
    weapon_station_N2.jpg
  • spetch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spetch polycounter lvl 11
    craig, you did a really good job, the piece looks good.

There are some unnecessary polys in the low that I might take out such as the circular lights in the front. But with the Ps4 coming down the pipe this will be no problem.

I agree with the above posts that your support loops in the high poly are a bit too close together, which gives sharper edges and less bevel.(raul mentioned your chamfers as well) After looking at your bake, it looks like you made the changes to the green box, but it's it's hard to see on your metal bits, especially the arms that open up.

Other than that, your scratches on the green box look low res because of the brush you used. Your brush is very blurry around the scratch, and the scratches need to be a bit sharper. They also look very uniform and could use some variation like the concept. Adding some dirt around your scratches would also help push this more.

Add the scratches to your normal map with Ndo or crazy bump. This needs to be subtle. The large scratches need to be added, and they will pop more.
  • bigpunn71
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @spetch - thanks for the feedback!! I went over those scratches again to address those areas you recommended. I think the angle is not doing those metals arms edges any justice. I can double check my normals to see if they baked correctly. And thanks for feedback on adding the scratches to the normal map! Don't know why it slipped my mind. I'll post an update tomorrow to show my updated textures and new hologram material/mesh. So far the material for the hologram is kicking my butt.
  • bigpunn71
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is another update of my armory prop. I tweaked the textures some more, made/tweaked materials in udk and messed with lighting a little more.

Highres_Screenshot_00000.jpg

Here are some screen grabs of my updated materials

armory_material.jpg
    gun_material.jpg
    hologram_material.jpg
  • joeriv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7
    Overall it just feels very flat, almost diffuse only.
    I feel like you really need to work on the material definition on this.
    +lack of contrast in the spec.

Maybe you have a reason for this, but I would personally suggest to also use a gloss map, you have quite a lot of different materials on this thing, so it would benefit from it.

14964295.jpg
    Be carefull with just slapping on a photo/texture on something and calling it metal, this part is just to noisy.
    I personally would just step this down to a base colour again in the diffuse and spec, get the base values right, maybe with super sublte overlays, and then add whatever you want on top of it.

90489999.jpg
    Problem here mostly is spec values again, it honestly reads to me as grey paint next to green paint.
    Really try to push those values away from eachother, and make the scratches actually read like metal.

Also, maybe a bit more personal, I find that wear to be to "hairy", maybe go back in, with a lower opacity, and a smaller brush and clean them up a bit, and also try to make the wear more uneven.

89666451.jpg
    somewhat better, but it just looks to "painted", the edgewear is on all the edges and fairly even, I also don't really see what the darker parts are (leftover paint?).

The big scratches could probably be replaced by getting a nice photo of some directions scratches/wear, and using that as a mask, to get rid of that "I just drew a couple of lines"

43264769.jpg
    Mostly what has been said above, don't really know what material it is.
    The tubes, from seeing those in real life, these would be a almost chrome, here they are almost plastic.

And on a sidenote, I felt like the colours where a bit all over the place, the concept seems to stick more to
    -Green with orange details/lights
    -Metals
    -Blue glowy stuff

While in your version you have green with orange (and your orange is a bit to dark to my taste) with red lights, yellow lights, it seems a bit all over the place.

35938097.jpg
    I'm probably gonna start repeating there, but again, the pipe doesn't read as metal, the black wear in the bend is just to painted.

The pipe next to it, same thing, it's just a black thing, I don't really see what it is made off.
  • bigpunn71
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @joeriv - Thanks for the awesome feedback!!! At this moment I am working on the spec to give it more contrast to help pop the scratches from the base. I used one of UDK's detail normal maps and added it with mine, but I agree with you that its too noisy and distracting so I removed it. I'm going back over the horizontal scratches to make them less uniform since they do look that way. From my understand from the concept there are two metal pipes (the two from the screen grab you have) and a rubber pipe. Ill play around with the UDK material and spec to make those read as metal.
  • bigpunn71
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everyone sorry for the late up date I was polishing up some work. Here are my final images of the Armory!! Hope you like them and thanks for all the help and feedback!! Next project will be a sci-fi scene just have to find the right concept.

In%20Game.jpg
    high%20poly.jpg
    high%20wires.jpg
    low%20poly.jpg
    low%20wires.jpg
    armory%20material.jpg
    gun%20material.jpg
    hologram%20material.jpg
    texture%201.jpg
    texture%202.jpg
  • KennyTies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great work and good use of uv space? I dont know to much about holograms in udk but is that just a 3d asset or is it all just the material? Also for your scifi scene why not build off of this?
  • bigpunn71
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @KennyTies - Yeah that UV packing was fun to place lol :). All the hologram materials animate. The gun is a simple static mesh block out and the other hologram are planes. I would use this but i kind of wanted to make something new.