Home Technical Talk

Maya vs Modo

Slightly odd variant of this question.

I'm moving jobs at the minute after a decade and more of using 3dsmax for a branch of Microsoft. Part of the new work will be switching over to more of an apple based environment and I've been told I can pick whichever program I feel I'd be most comfortable with.

Can anyone weigh up the pros and cons of each for a 3dsmax artist? My main concerns are modelling (including spline to poly modelling), connection to 3dsmax, ideally scripts that allow uv island to hard edge creation and other game related stuff.

What I'm not really needing is a 'my app is better'. They're all great. Hell - blender is rocking nowdays.

Replies

• r3spawn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I feel like modo has a more intuitive interface and workflow, plus its modeling and retopology tools are wonderul.

Maya is definitely more powerful when it comes to animation and things like that but given how quickly modo is evolving into a full 3d production suite (modo 601 is fantastic) I'd say that modo is the better program if you're doing game asset production or something like that.
  • Drew++
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drew++ polycounter lvl 14
    So the only problem I see with using Modo right now is no real baking tools :(

I use Modo for mostly modeling my high poly, low poly and unwrapping in Windows and OS X. I generally bake inside Maya since it's on OS X as well.

Lots of scripts for Maya related to hard edge stuff that Modo doesn't have.

As much as I love Modo I'd have to say, simply go with Maya.
  • Asyme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So with maya - what kind of modelling tools am I missing? My limited experience it with in the past has usually been this:

Selects some edges.
    Selects bevel
    Stares incredulously at the non interactive type in and flees back to 3dsmax.

And as it sounds like you use them both Drew - what hard edges stuff would I be missing from Modo?
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I've seen a lot of people on this forum switch to modo because they prefer the modeling tools over max and maya, if you want to see what it's like to work in, look at some of Snefer's videos http://www.livestream.com/snefer/folder
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Modo is fantastic as a pure modeling/uving app, esp sub-d modeling.

But not something I would recommend if you need to set up mesh normals, bake maps, or otherwise get your asset ready to export to game. Max/Maya are better in that regard.

But modo is one of the best, most natural feeling modeling tools out there.
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    The only thing Maya does better than Modo is rigging an animating. In poly modeling it is pretty much a clean sweep for Modo.
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    But not something I would recommend if you need to set up mesh normals, bake maps, or otherwise get your asset ready to export to game. Max/Maya are better in that regard.
    I'm a modo user, and while it does currently lack some game-art things like editing mesh normals (which I haven't really looked into myself), exporting can be quite flexible with scripts (PipelineIO by Ariel Chai - even lets you set hard edges by UV borders!). Some polycounters bake inside modo with great results, although personally I would prefer to use cages, at least for more important/hero pieces. For this, I just export to xnormal, which with PipelineIO is incredibly fast.

If you know you'll be using maya exclusive features a lot, it'd make sense to go with maya, but if not I'd definitely give modo a try. Have a look through this thread
    http://forums.luxology.com/topic.aspx?f=83&t=69241

and see if there's anything in there you'd really need. Also, you can set hard/soft edges with PipelineIO, but it'd be nice if that were built in to modo.
  • Asyme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great stuff.

From a maya to modo switch - what kind of modelling tools would I be gaining or losing? Bar a few oddities (quad bevelling, certain tweaking a model functions) 3dsMax is a very good modeller and there's that frustration of looking for a similar way of doing things rather than just biting the bullet and finding another workaround.

Also slightly off track but - if I'm ending up on a Mac OS - anyone know of a substitute for xnormal? That one in particular is making me grimace. I'm aware they have a theoretical xnormal 4 coming out for macs and linux but well... its been promised for years.
  • SonicBlue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SonicBlue polycounter lvl 10
    Asyme wrote: »
    So with maya - what kind of modelling tools am I missing? My limited experience it with in the past has usually been this:

Selects some edges.
    Selects bevel
    Stares incredulously at the non interactive type in and flees back to 3dsmax.

And as it sounds like you use them both Drew - what hard edges stuff would I be missing from Modo?

Maya have a strange behaviour, you can adjust parameters interactively in the Attribute Editor:
    ZLaVo3K.png

Or in the Channel Box:
    bxkBBH8.png

You can also take a look at Cinema 4D, if you also going to use Maya (as like modo lacks proper baking functions):

http://www.mattrittman.com/3d-modeling/migrating-from-3ds-max-to-cinema-4d

It's very fast and stable other than having some nice features, also its modifiers are similar to Max modifiers stack.
  • fatihG_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fatihG_ polycounter lvl 14
    C4d has super crappy bevels. Also no way in c4d to edit vertex normals, thiugh there is a plugin available for that.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    if you select a channel in the channel viewer and drag mmb in the viewport, it adjust that value interactively.

i also have my own script that creates interactive versions of a lot of tools, if you would like that.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just wanted to throw in here that Modo is perfectly capable of baking game ready normal maps. I use it all the time for that. The drawback is that you don't get a cage so you need to bake based on distance only.

I COULD export OBJ files to xNormal but it's just so much faster to stay in Modo. For me, anyway. Iteration time is way faster which easily offsets not having a cage to bake with.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really do not consider any app that doesn't have atleast basic cage tools suitable for baking, so I'm going to have to strongly disagree.

Modo also does not use a common tangent space, so while you may have an engine synced to Maya, Max, or Xnormal(mikktspace)'s tangent spaces, you're not going to have an engine synced to modo.

Modo also does not support traditional hard edges/smoothing groups very well, there are some scripts from Chai that are great, but again, what sort of support does modo's baker have with hard edges etc? No cage, so does that mean gaps anywhere you use hard edges?

IMO modo just isn't there yet in terms of baking, and I absolutely love modo.
  • SonicBlue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SonicBlue polycounter lvl 10
    bb0x wrote: »
    C4d has super crappy bevels. Also no way in c4d to edit vertex normals, thiugh there is a plugin available for that.

Yeah, that's true, but you can use Solid Chamfer for that :). Anyway it was intend as a Maya companion rather than a Maya alternative.

The top would be to have modo to bake normals with cages, otherwise on Mac OS X, I don't really know what you can use other than Maya to bake them correctly.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EQ

Cool. It works for me but I'm not doing really complex stuff at the moment. Maybe I'll see problems in the future but for now it's smooth sailing.

Modo is quirky but I'm certainly getting acceptable results out of it.
  • igi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    igi polycounter lvl 12
    Weird thing is there's some people who don't give a damn to the gaps along the hard edges and keep baking in modo and create kickass work.But personally I can't stand the seams along hard edges so using PipelineIO by Chai looks like most practical way for tailoring an efficient workflow for modo-xnormal transition.
    Other than that modeling in modo feels really natural and it simply flows perfectly without any rudimentary extra steps.But I must say modeling in modo is a different level.If you're coming from max then you have to unlearn some of things you knew about modeling before. Modo modeling tools might come to you a bit wild at first because of no modifier stacks,but modo has it's very own benefits that people really love.
  • r3spawn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD wrote: »
    I've seen a lot of people on this forum switch to modo because they prefer the modeling tools over max and maya, if you want to see what it's like to work in, look at some of Snefer's videos http://www.livestream.com/snefer/folder

Are there any more videos like that? I love watching pros using modo because they always use the tools in ways I would never have thought of
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    IMO modo just isn't there yet in terms of baking, and I absolutely love modo.
    I'll agree with this, I'm curious though (having never worked in the industry) how much of a problem this might be? Is it common to be unable to use xnormal for any reason? I can only really think of if you needed to use max or maya's tangent basis for example, but now we have handplane. If you can use xnormal then you don't really need to be able to bake in modo, although it'd be convenient if you could.
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm hoping the next version of modo comes with cage baking. Quite a few game artists over on Luxology's forums have been getting pretty vocal about it this release (as well as a bunch of other game related features and tweaks).

Should find out pretty soon - 701 is due to be released any week now.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek

For me, as I said, it's iteration time. Being able to hit a hot key and bake a new normal map whenever I want to is hella convenient.

I hope they do add cage baking because it would be nice to have a choice.

Luxology, as much as I love them, seem to value their renderer over everything else so it tends to get the most love these days. See : smoothing groups.
  • Asyme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Does seem weird to me that a smaller app isn't more focused on the games market. Maybe architectural renders etc are where the big bucks are - but I'm still waiting for a modeller, baker and painter that are designed for our industry rather than for films and tv then adapted (zbrush and texturing for example or maya/max's focus on flow, particles etc which is lovely but... not really relevant).

Thanks for the input though - sounds like the real thing to do is hang fire till the Modo preview and the Autodesk announcement later this month....
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    WarrenM wrote: »
    For me, as I said, it's iteration time. Being able to hit a hot key and bake a new normal map whenever I want to is hella convenient
    I agree it'd be convenient (and I hope luxology adds it), but with pipelineIO script I press one button to export low, another to export exploded low + cage, and another for the high poly. If you just use working titles then they're already loaded into xnormal. Not as fast as just hitting bake, but not that much slower either.

Good call on waiting for any announcements Asyme, hopefully luxology releases something awesome and your decision becomes easier.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's true Bek ... I don't use pipelineIO so maybe that would alleviate my workflow concerns.
  • MrOneTwo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrOneTwo polycounter lvl 12
    Farfarer wrote: »
    I'm hoping the next version of modo comes with cage baking. Quite a few game artists over on Luxology's forums have been getting pretty vocal about it this release (as well as a bunch of other game related features and tweaks).

Should find out pretty soon - 701 is due to be released any week now.

The last sentence made my day. I hope it will come soon. I love new Modos. They usually add cool stuff.

I also can't agree that baking in Modo is ok. I like getting as good bake as I possibly can. Unfortunately it adds some hussle. Worth it though.
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, the first information's seeping out. Looks like particles and vastly improved large scene handling are the major features.

I guess we keep an eye on it and hope :)

http://www.luxology.com/store/special_offers/
  • Jakub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jakub interpolator
    I know that this thread is really old, but I do not see the point of opening new one.

I've been wondering, which one of these softwares would you recommend to learn for someone that has high hopes to work in game dev ? I am not really sure what are industry standards right now and both of these softwares look really powerful.
  • dmj
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dmj
    Learn Maya, it is more or less the industry standard and is significantly more popular than Modo. You will also have an easier time finding training for it.
  • DireWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry a bit OT here since I see xNormal mentioned a lot. A few months ago there was a new (paid?) baking solution posted here that people were claiming it's better than xNormal. Does any one remember what app that might be? It's not in the wiki.
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    Jakub wrote: »
    I know that this thread is really old, but I do not see the point of opening new one.

I've been wondering, which one of these softwares would you recommend to learn for someone that has high hopes to work in game dev ? I am not really sure what are industry standards right now and both of these softwares look really powerful.

Modo is great!!! but... yes if you are looking for a job in an established studio you are better off looking up what they use and go from there. Some studios are more focused on Max while others are Maya.

BUT what you see with a lot of Modo uses is the skill and knowledge to use those applications when they have to but have Modo for when its usable as well, whether its at home or in the studio itself. Really situational. Maya will qualify you for the most though...
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    DireWolf wrote: »
    Sorry a bit OT here since I see xNormal mentioned a lot. A few months ago there was a new (paid?) baking solution posted here that people were claiming it's better than xNormal. Does any one remember what app that might be? It's not in the wiki.
    Possibly mightybake
  • DireWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think that was it, thanks Bek! Gonna subscribe to that thread now so I won't lose it again :)
  • pmiller001
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    Modo is a great program.
    But as i understand In game development, Maya/Max are the standards. and like its been stated before, you'll find much more documentation on those. Modo not so much :/
  • MDiamond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MDiamond polycounter lvl 10
    With tricks like using the rounded edge shader to bake normal maps(popularized by Tor Frick), the bundled Mesh Fusion coming in 901 and supposed support for Mikkelsen Tangent Space I see great potential for changing the way we think about modelling high res geometry for baking maps to use in games. We don't know the full new features in 901 but its looking really good.

But I have to say, Maya has improved a lot in the newer versions. A few years back modelling in Maya was a chore to me, now the behaviour of the tools is more in line what I see in other packages.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WarrenM wrote: »
    Bek

For me, as I said, it's iteration time. Being able to hit a hot key and bake a new normal map whenever I want to is hella convenient.

I hope they do add cage baking because it would be nice to have a choice.

Luxology, as much as I love them, seem to value their renderer over everything else so it tends to get the most love these days. See : smoothing groups.
    They seem to also be focusing on animation, which is another weak point in Modo, If they manage to do for animation tools what they have done for modeling... that... would... be awesome!

So far so good they've got a great base toolset that preforms well. Which is more than I can say for 3dsmax, they have a vast number of shallow animation tools that haven't been refined in years and they preforms horrifically.

I like how Luxology seems to approach adding a few core features and making them as solid as possible, rather than loading the shotgun full of buggy buckshot firing and forgetting.
  • Makan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makan polycounter lvl 7
    In Modo 10 now they added more nice features, specially for making video games! what do you guys think?
  • Sixide
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sixide polycounter lvl 2
    Like what? As far as i know, Modo has big lack of tools as it comes to UV editing and baking...is this improved in the latest version?
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    Sixide said:
    Like what? As far as i know, Modo has big lack of tools as it comes to UV editing and baking...is this improved in the latest version?
    It looks to have a great baking solution as of the 10 series. Mikkt, baking on the fly with the preview renderer, UE4/Unity ready. Plus baking directly from a Meshfusion object and the updates to rounded edge shader baking. At this stage Maya and Max baking tools are simply outdated.
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Damn this thread is tenacious...
    Sixide said:
    As far as i know, Modo has big lack of tools as it comes to UV editing
    What gave you that impression? I'd recommend giving the trial version a go.
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    They're not great, at least compared to Maya. There's not even a way to cut UVs; you have to select an entire new island you want and tear it off. If you just wanted to split a section open, then... you're screwed I guess.
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Grimwolf said:
    They're not great, at least compared to Maya. There's not even a way to cut UVs; you have to select an entire new island you want and tear it off. If you just wanted to split a section open, then... you're screwed I guess.
    Just get the Eterea UV tools, there are Edge Cutting UVs in there.
  • Tzur_H
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tzur_H polycounter lvl 9
    Grimwolf said:
    Just get the Eterea UV tools, there are Edge Cutting UVs in there.
    or Farfarer's scripts, awesome stuff!
    https://farfarer.com/resources.htm