Home Technical Talk

Max OBJ/FBX exporter

Polynaut
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Polynaut polycounter lvl 7
Hey guys, I'm a maya user switching over to max and I'm running into an issue. Are there known problems when export OBJ/FBX files from Max 2013? I never use to run into any problem exporting from Maya, but now I'm having all sorts of issues.

Here is one:

Exporting OBJ/FBX with 2 UV shells in Max
maxuv_zps2ebb4a60.jpg

With these settings (or any others that I've tried)
maxexport_zps50247239.jpg

Importing into Maya (or xNormal, Marmoset.. anything) and I get this
mayauv_zpsa804cfa0.jpg

All those thick white edges are unique border edges. There are like 300+ UV shells now.

And this is worse:
mayauvcrazy_zpsdec469c2.jpg

These two border edges should be touching! I can't just select them all and attach them because they have all been moved around. I select 1 border edge and the entire uv shell that it connects to has been moved when exported.

So the entire UV shell looks correct, but it's moved all the faces around and ruined my UV layout.

Any clues?!

Here is the file:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/59589536/Problems.zip

Thanks in advance for any help!

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would simply test each of the options in the Output and Optimize sections. One of those is not storing the data correctly.
  • Polynaut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eric,

Thanks for the feedback. I've gone through all the options I can think of. If I import that same obj back into Max I don't have a problem. I apply an Unwrap UVW to it and the UV's appear to be in 2 shells. When I import that same OBJ into zbrush or maya, they are not attached.

Also, when I do a render to texture inside Max the file bakes like there is 300+ shells, not 2. The normal map looks like this:
    normals_zps39066de4.jpg

So even inside Max, it's corrupt but it's not showing me that on the unwrap UVW modifier.

I had a hunch that it was storing vert data somehow and applying it after the Unwrap UVW modifier and it looks like I was correct:
    Verts_zpsf8d7f981.jpg

I highlighted a few matching vert id's. I'm not entirely sure what I'm looking at, but it seems to match up with what's going on when I export the file or try to bake maps inside Max.

Again, any help fixing this would be greatly appreciated!
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wait. Where are you starting out with your source model. I would examine that model first, make sure it's whole. When look at the export options from there.
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    I have sent many fbx files between max and maya and not had that problem. Try a new mesh in a clean scene as a test? Also, make sure your FBX is up to date. I would use FBX over OBJ.
  • Polynaut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This originally started in Maya a while ago. I'm recently returning to it for a customer. Since then, I imported into Max -> zBrush -> back to Max. This is where the trouble started.

I think I found the problem though. User error, of course! I brought this into Max to create my UV shells so I could sculpt on the low res mesh in zbrush. I exported the FBX from Max with a 0-2 UV layout because I was creating a 2048x1024 map. I guess zBrush can't handle that kind of layout and corrupted my file. Once I created a new UV layout in zBrush and sent it back to Max to redo my UV's, everything works perfect.

I'm actually trying to get this file working so I can bake a world space normal to test handplane with! Also, I've picked up on Max so quickly by following the briefcase tutorial on 3dMotive, so thanks for that workflow! I've never truly understood 0-2 UV layouts or how to do them until I watched those. (Obviously I'm still a bit confused! ;)

Thanks for the help guys! Hopefully this thread will help some google searchers.
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    yeah. zbrush can't handle uvs outside the 0-1 space.

fwiw I've found maxs obj and fbx support to be superior to other apps in every case I've tested it ..
  • Polynaut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's good to hear. I've run into issues when importing into Marmoset, where I have to import into Maya first and re-export for Marmoset. I think it's a Marmoset issue though where they don't support Max FBX files? Not sure.
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    Do post your handplane results. We have had ~10,000 downloads since beta but very few people posting their results.
  • Popeye9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Popeye9 polycounter lvl 15
    if you are taking it into zbrush and out there is an export option in ZB that is called "Mrg" if this is unchecked it will break apart the uv like you have pictured.