Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sci Fi Corner Project

hollywoodjae026
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
hollywoodjae026 polycounter lvl 6
Hey guys this is my first scifi scene and i am looking for feedback before i move forward. I am stuck on what would add to the scene also how does it look.859460_10151458519844696_1097264776_o.jpg

Replies

• sybrix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sybrix polycounter lvl 13
    Well, to help you with what to populate the scene with, can you give us some context? What is this a corner of? A ship? A sci fi apartment building? A sci fi street corner? Also I don't understand what the function of the gate thingies are, since they don't reach the ceiling they're not supports. I think it would help to think more about the setting of this scene, which would help you define a direction and run with it. Like if it's a ship there could be wires, consoles, data screens, etc. If it's in a sci fi building it could have plants, holo screens with futuristic advertisements, benches, etc.
  • hollywoodjae026
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry for the lack of detail. I was posting from my phone. Anyhow, This is a hallway of a transport ship. The ship is used to export goods across the galaxy. Te feel is industrial yet futuristic.

Also, the gate thingies are placeholders for the wall and door that I am working on. And the ceiling is glass. I was thinking about some hanging wires and pipes maybe?
  • sybrix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sybrix polycounter lvl 13
    Oh I see now. Yeah, some open panels with hanging wires could be nice. If the ceiling is glass, you could do some cool stuff with showing the "ship guts" through the glass. If you're going for industrial, I would suggest making the space dingy looking and cluttered. So maybe different crates stacked around, almost impeding the walkway? Hmm, if this ship has been transporting stuff for a very long time all over the galaxy maybe it could have a dirty, gritty, oily, beaten up sort of feel to it?
  • hollywoodjae026
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    floor tile after 100 different ideas. like?861495_10151461830814696_342992982_o.jpg
  • Erik Rönnblom
    It's very generic - you could do so much more with the transport ship premise. What are the black rectangle parts there for? How would future builders go about assembling the corridors? How do you replace broken parts (especially the lamps)? How do they move whatever they're transporting through that corridor?

Right now the floor feels very basic and I assume you want it to look current/nextgen.

Here's a quick paintover/mockup, just a bit more geometry and replaceable side parts (that could be modelled to open). You really shouldn't be afraid to add more details to something as crucial as floors/walls for a scene this small.
    hollywoodjae026_paintover.jpg

I did something fairly similar roughly a month ago and I got tonnes of inspration for functional details from this guy's portfolio

I really like your initial blockout btw, just keep at it :thumbup:
  • hollywoodjae026
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like your mockup and suggestions are noted. this is going mobile so i am keeping the details down a little. i however will try and squeeze out everything i can. the black squares are me forgetting to drop in the alpha map. right now i am having an issue with xnormal not picking up my details even after expanding the cage. so i am baking in max and then using ndo occlusion map.
  • hollywoodjae026
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I guess I should have mentioned this is not a stand alone scene. These are going to be modular assets for a FPS mobile shooter.
  • Erik Rönnblom
    Ah, that changes things as far as polycount goes, but you could cram in way more info in your texture as is and I doubt with today's phones some more would hurt :)

Following this thread btw :D
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    How did you manage to make this 21 triangles? That's an odd number.
  • hollywoodjae026
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No textures as of yet but here is one of the small assets I am working on...Feel free to comment.

859016_10151490789914696_1160487451_o.jpg
  • hollywoodjae026
    Options
    Offline / Send Message