polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Shudrum polycounter lvl 6

Replies

• Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Yes, write things down. This is very important and useful for when arguing and fighting. You can point to contract and say "we agreed to this". Trust and communication is still important, and changes must still be possible. But then write down changes again in new contract! Always write down what you agree on!

Ideas/suggestions to keep motivation and speed during project:
    -make a planning. Even if you do not make it, you have a goal to aim for. No planning = no idea how long to spend on something = slowness/laziness.

-split up money based on hard working. If 4 colleagues all get 25% of money, I guarantee at least one will be lazy. If hard working means more money, people will work harder. For example: money % = hours of colleague / hours of all colleagues x 100%

-have a place to show progress. Blog, polycount thread, anything. In Dutch there is a saying "vreemde ogen dwingen" ~ when people watch you, you feel forced to do something.

-have regular meetings (either online or in real life) with colleagues. This is partially about planning, partially about showing progress. If you have not worked for 3 meetings, colleagues will tell you to work.

Now. I would like to know more of the game, and perhaps collaborate. I currently have very little work and would like to have an 'own' game on Steam. Could you explain more of the game, theme, goals, etcetera, and what you need and how fast?
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    I would say post something on the request section with alot of information about your project and what your skills are.
  • Dan!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! polycounter lvl 6
  • Shudrum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @m4dcow: Yep, but a good part of the question was "how to be clear and legal".

@Dan: Clearly, this is the best solution I'd love to do. But I havn't any funds, and I can't take the risk of a credit.

@Snader: Ok, I can make a contract, but internationnal ? By mail ? And if you wan't, this is just another kind of Tower Defense, my favorite little game :) Simple to make with a futuristic theme (because for me it was simpliest to design, so this was not definitive) and not a classic gameplay. If you wan't more details, I can contact you via MP or Skype.

Thank you !
  • ivanzu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivanzu polycounter lvl 10
    Put some info about the game, I'm interested in helping out.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    How much responsibility is on the artist? I've seen a lot of programmers who say they are looking for an artists but they really are looking for an art director/concept artist/all around general artist - so an artist who joins up gets completely overwhelmed and drops out.

It might be a good idea to start out with a good concept artist to create concepts for all the assets the game needs.
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    How are profit sharing contracts enforced between parties in multiple countries? I imagine it seriously complicates legal recourse?
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    How are profit sharing contracts enforced between parties in multiple countries? I imagine it seriously complicates legal recourse?

It might be a good idea to have a lawyer write up a contract. When you are talking about selling a game or profit sharing it's no longer a hobby but a business venture.
  • xtrm3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xtrm3d polycounter lvl 9
    @Dan: Clearly, this is the best solution I'd love to do. But I havn't any funds, and I can't take the risk of a credit.

igff you are not willing to take risk with your project .. how do you expect artist to do it ?
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    I usually try looking down the back of the sofa. That's where most things I need seem to end up.
  • Shudrum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi all !

@Justin: for a game of this size, this is clearly a single artist who can do every parts of the design. This is also why I limit the project to a modular game, like a TD, for limit the number of assets needed. This is really a human sized project.

@AtticusMars: yep, this is really the difficulty. I know one or two artist in Roumania or US from Ubisoft, but the distance ... This is why I'm here ^^

@xtrm3d: there was two king of risks : time and money. I think loosing money is really worst than loosing time. But here is my job: show a very advanced prototype to motivate the potential artists.

@ambershee: I have so many projects here ^^ But not this one, this is the only achievable project with a tiny team.