Home Technical Talk

Quick Question on Tiling Textures and Enviro

Cheers for reading the thread; after a recent lecture I was a little confused about environment modelling and the texture aspects.

I've always been taught textured must be within the 0-1 square and UVs can be overlapped to save space on models requiring the same textures... or i.e. mirroring a models texture etc to achieve a higher quality and res finish. This is suitable for AO maps, Normal maps etc.. which in general provides a nice clean result:

Example UV Map 1:

example1u.jpg

However, have now been advised against what i've previously been taught; and advised to use this method for tiling textures... and use alpha planes here and there to add grafiti etc to break it up...however surely this is bad practice? And disallows my AO and normal bakes....

Example UV Map 2:

example2t.jpg

Cheers

Replies

• xXm0RpH3usXx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xXm0RpH3usXx polycounter lvl 13
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The first example is a horrible waste of space. Many shells are repeated. Like, you only need one of those doors at top right, and the roof should be mirrored instead of sticking the whole roof on there.

This looks like every surface is uniquely mapped. Which means the pixel resolution is going to be very low. You should tile the floor, roof, walls, etc. You can do it this way:
    http://www.game-artist.net/forums/tutorials/182-step-step-techniques-tiling-textures-3ds-max.html
    http://poopinmymouth.com/process/tips/thirding.jpg

For lightmaps (and AO), usually there's a 2nd UV set that has no overlapping and no mirroring. So each polygon has a unique spot in the 0-1 UV box. Some artists get fancy with this UV, and overlap things that will get the same lighting, or scale down things that need less lighting (like the bottom of a barrel).

Your 2nd example makes no sense for game UVs, unless you're simply showing how it can tile. But you would never map a box like this. Here's a better UV layout for a box, reusing various parts.
    http://orbart.free.fr/Gallery/Images/crate.jpg
  • Goat Justice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goat Justice polycounter lvl 10
  • David Wakelin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers for the examples;

I understand the second example doesn't really make sense, I was literally just pointing out how I've been told that UVs can be OUTSIDE the 1-0 space.

Cheers for all the examples, but I'm guessing you can as i was told use OUTSIDE of the 0-1 space for repeating walls etc? Sorry to sound simple but it just confuses me :\

If anyone else could have a few more examples - that would be great
  • Zocky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    Well, as i understand things, there are situations, where for example, you have relatively large house for example for FPS game. So you get VERY close to it. Now, even if you made 2048 textures, with your old style, meaning all faces are almost uniquely mapped, even with mirroring and such tricks, when you come close enough, it would look very blurry. So people find way to work around that.

If you, just for example, make same building, and decide to use 1 texture for roof, 2 for walls, etc., you with the use of advance vertex painting, you could nicely blend those two wall textures and get very unique results even though you have just two tileable textures. But this way, it will look far more detailed even when you get close. And textures doesn't even have to be 2048 at all.

And you can still use second UV map for AO baking, normal map etc if needed.

Like for example, here you have just 2 tilabale textures, and see how you can blend them:
    hqdefault.jpg

I hope that helps.
  • Goat Justice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Usually prefer not to reference my own work, but I'm not finding a lot of good examples with maps posted. I used 3 textures for everything in this set: A 512 tiling stones texture for the walls, a 512 x 1024 trims texture, and a 1024 square for "details". We were on a really tight budget for texture memory, so I had to get as much mileage out of the three maps as possible.

The geometry is also broken up into modular elements since we were planning to create multiple fortresses in different configurations.

There are some downsides to this method as well. You end up creating a lot of extra verts and UV seams where changes in material happen. Breaking things up with the trims is necessary to hide the tiling, but it's easy to go overboard. The right balance probably depends on the specific engine/project involved.

In this case we didnt have a 2nd UV set for AO, so we actually used dark vertex color applied to some verts in the base mesh when we could. It's not very apparent in the screen shot, however.

59pIyds.jpg
    ys521Ge.jpg
    yGAEvt8.jpg
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha, I clicked on your sig link earlier, and thought "wow, these would be great examples to show!" Especially the asian temple/bridge model. Great use of texture space!
  • Goat Justice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Eric. Yeah the Asian temple doesn't even have a 4 way tiling wall texture. just trims and details maps.