Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Reviving my old BRAWL environment

FINISHED SCENE-

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMXOX8W7cM0"]UDK Temple Scene - YouTube[/ame]

dtHCmWX.jpg

Hello everyone,

So who remembers that Brawl contest from like two years ago? Well, I had to duck out of it for work reasons, and I've been sitting here with a half-finished environment ever since then, so I've decided it's finally time to finish this thing. The environment is loosely based around the 'Hell' stage from Samurai Shodown 2-

Ss2mizukibg.gif

My spin on it was to redesign the stage from crazy lightning eyeball death to a more peaceful, naturalistic environment-

cPL7M.jpg

The initial blockout-

wDLkx.jpg

And here's current progress. All shots (Except the wireframe and highpoly stuff) are from UDK.

zL0wEha.jpg

Temple- 16,680 tris, 2048 D/N/S maps

8F2kdvD.jpg

UX8uAtw.jpg

Gate- 1,346 tris, 1024 D/N/S maps

WT49WAV.jpg

Lantern- 1,062 tris, 1024 D/N/S maps

WJ9UsaC.jpg

Rocks- ~300 tris each, 512 D/N/S maps

Xt0OmcE.jpg

The grass and the skybox in the scene is currently placeholder, the goal for the end of this is to have animated clouds and grass so I can do a flythrough video. I'll probably end up retouching some of the other assets too, any feedback on any of that stuff is appreciated and will be considered. I'm going to start with the wall and watchtower, then move on to creating that big ol' mountain in the background. I'm going to do my best to provide regular updates. Thanks folks, and please C&C!

Replies

• Chandler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Made a modular wall piece yesterday.

UXAfGt6.jpg

J7EFZAJ.jpg

I'll be working on the watch tower next I think.
  • SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaferDan polycounter lvl 14
    Hey!looking nice! are you still having that mountain with the light coming in from behind? Have you touched the lighting at all? It looks super flat tbh, you might want to do a rough lighting pass before you go any further.

Also the grass seems a bit weird, it looks like bare soil with random grass coming from nowhere. I would vertex in some grass around the patches to have it make a bit more sense!

Looking good though man!
  • JoshVanZuylen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshVanZuylen polycounter lvl 5
    What program you using to bake your normals? Are also baking your diffuse and spec?
  • Chandler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments guys!

SaferDan- Yeah, I'm still planning on adding the mountain and all that, I really want some impressive lighting and atmospheric effects in this when it's done. Right now, the lighting is about as basic as can be, I haven't really messed around with it at all since I've been focused on just finishing assets. But you're right, I've been putting it off. I'll take your advice and do a lighting pass for the next update! As for the grass, it's looking really sad, I know... it was the last thing I did before I shelved the scene, so I'm not nearly finished with it. I'm probably going to scrap the grass that's in there right now since it doesn't really mesh with the scene at all, and redo it more densely and with a lot more variation. (i.e. shorter grass on the path and taller grass around the edges with flowering plants and whatnot) Thanks a lot!

Josh- I'm making my high poly models in Maya and baking the normal and ambient occlusion maps in xNormal. I use the AO as a starting point for the diffuse map, and when I'm finished with the diffuse I alter that to get my spec map.
  • Chandler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I took SaferDan's advice yesterday and did a lighting pass, and my what a difference it made.

WzwLcxn.jpg

I also made a new skybox (Now with animated clouds!) and rearranged the scene a bit. I also removed that ugly grass, the next thing I do will be to give that another try. I probably won't have that done for a few days though, I still gotta do my taxes...
  • Chandler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've decided to start another pass on the grass cards. I'd always taken the easy way out before and just alpha'd out a photo texture, so this time I figured I would actually take the time to do it well and model the grass, then render it onto a plane. I've been looking at choco's old environment thread for inspiration lately (that guy is a beast) and I tried to stick to his grass workflow as close as possible. (see here, only difference is I did my render passes in Maya instead of mudbox) After modeling two clumps of grass, this is what I've got-

Es6OTke.jpg

So I decided to spam those all over my environment. Eventually I want to have shorter/sparser grass on the path, longer grass and flowers in the fields, this is just a test to see how the grass looks in-engine.

ITG0AkB.jpg

It looks decent, but it's still a bit patchy and uneven, so I'm going to try a few things to see if I can get it to look better. If anyone has any advice on how to get the most mileage out of grass cards or how best to light them, it would be greatly appreciated. I'll probably start on the taller grass next and look into how to animate it blowing in the wind. Thanks for looking!
  • David Wakelin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi,

it looks great!

May i see some texture flats for everything!

and also - how was the grass made do obtain just nice normals? did you ndo as i doubt youd zbrush that kinda stuff ;p

could you please share your workflow!!
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    wow, i don't think i ever saw a piece of art from published game that had such strong psychedelic vibe :poly142:
    and such depiction of hell is interesting since it differs a lot from western imaginations.

so it's a shame that both the eye and pretty much any trace of weirdness or creepiness are gone on your version.

Other than that it looks really nice.
  • Chandler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey David,

Sure thing dude!

WNwseRJ.jpg

My general workflow as far as modeling and texturing goes is-
    - Create Highpoly model in Zbrush (for models with organic elements like the rocks) or Maya (for hard surface stuff like the temple)
    - Retopologize in Topogun (organic) or create lowpoly in Maya (hard surface)
    - Unwrap lowpoly in Maya
    - Bake normal and ambient occlusion maps in xNormal
    - Multiply AO map over modified photosourced textures in Photoshop for diffuse map
    - Edit finished diffuse map for specular map (Usually involves a lot of hue/saturation and dodge/burn tool)

As for the grass, I didn't use either of those programs actually. :P I created a highpoly grass blade in Maya, duplicated and bent/modified it to get about 10 different variations, then duplicated and scaled/rotated those a bunch of times until I had an adequately dense and varied clump of grass. I did that twice to get the models you see in the image I posted earlier today. From there, the maps were a piece of cake- I just selected the render passes I needed in Maya, (Render Settings -> Passes tab, I used Ambient Occlusion, Object Normal (Camera Space), and Beauty which gave me the normal, AO, and specular maps) made the diffuse in Photoshop, and saved them all out as 32-bit TGAs.

Thanks!
  • Chandler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid- Yeah, I know right? That's one of the reasons I like this stage so much. I guess the devil decided to have a rave party that day. The idea with the Brawl contest was to reimagine the environment, and just use the original as kind of a loose jumping-off point. We were encouraged to change it as much as possible, so I strayed pretty far from the original vibe. But I would love to do something as crazy as the source material someday. :)

Thanks dude!
  • Chandler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've had a lot to do this week, but I found the time to get some real work done on vegetation and get it animating in UDK. Here's the new foliage maps, using the same process as the grass above-

6dGfpTc.jpg

And here's what it looks like in my scene-

E8A0AGh.jpg

I then jacked Epic's WorldPositionOffset foliage material, made a few tweaks, then added a WindDirectionalSource actor. Here's a video test showing the moving foliage and clouds-

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19Juzo6bxm4"]Temple scene grass test - YouTube[/ame]

I still have to get the flag, lanterns and such animating in the wind- maybe I'll do that next.
  • Chandler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    More windiness this week, along with a few extra touches like fire in the lanterns and the ropes in the foreground-

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X69r_rt1kVs"]Temple Scene progress 3/11/13 - YouTube[/ame]

mNh48tl.jpg

I now have just about everything animated that I want to, though I'm not sure I'm completely satisfied with the animation itself on some things. (The little paper danglies on the temple rope, for instance, are moving a little too fast for my liking, but I wasn't able to figure out how to get skeletal meshes to react to the wind actor directly in UDK, and they didn't work as a cloth simulation, so I used a Force Field volume and just applied a 'constant' force to them, which can't be slowed down at all. If any UDK experts out there know a better way to go about this, it would be appreciated.)

Okay. Starting on that watch tower for real this time.
  • burtonyang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Chandler, this is looking great so far, but a few things you can do is going back to the bare basics of environment design. Remember, it's all about the simple statement of getting that first read without confusion. Turn your recent scene update into a grayscale and you'll see that most of your scene is all one value, especially how the foreground is the same value as the building and lights you have . Also, the light in the background is distracting us from the center focal point you intended because of the contrast you created.

EDIT: Here's a 3 second paint over with my trackpad. Sorry if I strayed away from your concept too much :|

UsnucQw.jpg

Original:

HsziXsM.jpg
  • Chandler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, thanks a lot man! You're totally right- seeing your paintover makes me realize how flat the scene still is. I'll start pushing those values and thinking about the focal point right away.
  • Notes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Notes polycounter lvl 4
    Really curious how you're going to apply burtonyang's paintover to you scene. I'll get paintovers on some of my environments but have trouble making the in game scene match the value of the paintovers.
  • Mstankow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mstankow polycounter lvl 11
    One thing you might want to fix is the tangent of the roof of the shrine and the top of the wall.
  • Chandler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Notes- All I did was mess around with the lighting, before I had one dominant directional light with a fill, so I just toned those down and added more lights to give highlights where they were needed. I also darkened the skybox texture considerably and amped up the emissive on the lanterns. It still doesn't match his paintover exactly, but I'd say I got it close.

MStankow- Thanks, that was something I had noticed before but never got around to. I moved the wall back a ways, which both broke the tangent and helped strengthen the focal point! :D

Spent some time yesterday pushing the values to better match burtonyang's paintover. (Thanks again!) This is what I ended up with-

hnFLnPe.jpg

Z4qSVu7.jpg

What do you guys think? Better? (Did I go overboard on the bloom? :P)
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You might try layering in some fog sheets to give the scene some depth cues. It would really separate the wall from the house, for example, and the house from the foreground and make the scene look deeper.
  • Chandler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's quite a good idea. I've never made fog sheets before, but I'm guessing you would just use a cloudy texture with a really high alpha? I'll try that today and report back. Thanks!
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, basically, a sheet with a foggy texture on it. You can play with things like having panning textures blending with each other and so on to get different effects.

This was used ALL OVER Gears of War so it's a technique that I know works. :)
  • Chandler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I've looked up some tutorials (Including a good one by Chris Albeluhn, whose tutorials have really helped me out thus far) and it seems like you can get some really cool looking effects in UDK with the right shaders. I'm diving in, wish me luck!
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the light from the lanterns is now too bright. I'd revert them to their original color and intensity and darken the rest of the image. I'd also change the overall lighting from a late afternoon to a late dusk, changing the light color and ambient light amount as well as the intensity. (I'm thinking something with a red or purple tint, whatever seems to fit the scene best.) You'll lose many of the finer details from the background,but that's actually a good thing as it helps to draw the eye to the center.

Rivers_wallpapers_154.jpg
  • Chandler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I was worried I overdid it on the lanterns. :P The original idea for the scene was to have it at dusk lighting (You can see in the concept that the sun is setting in the background over a mountain, which I still plan on getting into the scene at some point), so I'll try and go back in that direction without compromising the values from burtonyang's paintover (Which I really like) too much. I do really like the mood and the colors in the ref you posted, so I'll see how close I can get to that. Thanks for that, I'm glad I'm getting these suggestions now since the lighting isn't really nailed down at all yet and I'm able to change it pretty easily. :)
  • burtonyang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just to be clear, my paint over was to help you move further with your scene, it's not meant to be exact. Good progress though, keep going.
  • Chandler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    burtonyang- Oh I know, it was more of about the idea that I needed more visual interest than it was a specific blueprint. But that was something I hadn't really thought about before, so I'm glad you brought it up.

So, I added some fog cards per WarrenM's suggestion, which really helped separate the foreground from the background and also just looks neat, and reworked the lighting again to get back to the 'dusk scene' feeling. I liked the reference DWalker posted, but I realized that I couldn't make such a bright, colorful sky as then I would be back to my original problem where the sky was the brightest thing in the scene. So I decided to keep the skybox relatively dark, and add a dynamic sun instead! That way, people's eyes are still drawn to the center of the image. The other advantage is that I can pass clouds and stuff in front of it and keep some visual interest in the skybox without it completely stealing the thunder from the temple.

ltvQyDp.jpg

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZktJUeWW1s"]Temple Scene Progress 3/14/13 - YouTube[/ame]

So, what do you guys think? Better? I can always scale it back if it's overkill.
  • Notes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Notes polycounter lvl 4
    The fog works, I was going to say that it doesn't move the same speed as the grass but seeing fog this morning it doesn't in real life...might be moving fast though. I noticed that the fog moves faster when its further back from me...could be an illusion though??

Scene looks like it has more depth now, looks good man. Lanterns remind me of toneberry :)
  • Chandler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Notes- The reason everything seems to be moving at different speeds right now is because it's all being affected by different things, and it's kind of hard to get it all to match up- I have a wind actor for the grass, a force field for the static meshes, and the fog is just a panning texture. Before I post my next UDK update, I'll try and tweak it all a bit so everything's more in sync. Thanks dude!

This week I've been a bit busy with other things, but I did manage to crank out the low and highpoly models of my watchtower. Here's the highpoly-

j8mmPd8.jpg

It's going to be sitting on the wall in the background, on the left side. Hopefully I'll have it textured and in the scene by next week, along with some other tweaks to the scene.
  • Chandler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Done with the tower, it ended up at ~2700 tris. The base rocks are just reused from the wall rock texture.

1uPLVII.jpg

I also added some more cloth sim to the temple, though I'll probably end up toning it down a bit. There's also a weird bit of lighting on the bottom of the watchtower I didn't notice until after the video was finished, so I'll fix that too.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQz7KYdkqDg"]Temple Scene Progress 3/26/13 - YouTube[/ame]

fZUktF2.jpg

I've set a deadline for this scene to be done by April 25th at the latest (If left to my own devices I'm sure I would keep working on it forever) so before I do anything else, I'm going to add the mountain in the background and a staircase in the archway, just to get all the assets in the scene. When that's done, hopefully I'll have the time to tweak everything and put finishing touches on the scene. Thanks for looking!
  • neilberard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    neilberard polycounter lvl 17
    Hey Adam, I totally dig the colors and I just wanted to toss some crits at you as you are about to finish this. Right now I think that there is a bit of noise and high contrast coming from the flowers that is shifting my focus away from the focal point as well as the lighting in general. I recommend looking at this image in black and white and adjusting the values of the lights to help lead the eye.

original.jpg

paintover.jpg
  • Chandler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neil- You're totally right dude, thanks for pointing that out. I'll mess around with the lighting again and really try to draw attention to the center. Mitchell also pointed out that there was a lot of noise in my textures too so I'll probably work on that before my next update as well. Thanks man!

I made a quick mountain with UDK terrain and added it to the background.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLtBJPDfL3U"]Temple Scene Progress 4/1/13 - YouTube[/ame]

yiQK5MN.jpg

From here, I'm thinking I'll add a stairway behind the gate just to have something back there, and add some final polish effects, and force myself to stop there. If anyone has any more critiques, now would be the time to speak! Thanks everyone.
  • Mstankow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Do not add any more assets to this scene. All that is needed is for the existing assets and placement to be fixed.

- Clean up the rock work. Too noisy. Did you every do the technique I showed you?
    - Using fog cards does not mean just randomly placing them around the composition. They are meant to separate foreground and background. Right now they are hurting the composition. I would place them behind the temple and use it to separate the mid ground and background.
    -I would also kill a lot of the lights. Especially the Sun. It is not helping you. Maybe tone down the lanterns too Or at least kill the bloom somewhat. Also, the stone lanterns in the foreground really should be used to guide the eye towards the temple.
    -Right now the composition feels really cluttered. Maybe space things out more. Keep in mind of tangents.
  • Chandler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MStankow- I mentioned in my previous post that I'm going to try and make my textures less noisy in the next update, I'll use the cavity map trick you showed me for the rocks and also try and reduce some noise in other areas too. I'll remove the fog card between the foreground rocks and the temple, I am trying to use them to separate depth but I guess it isn't working very well (Right now I think I have one between the foreground and the temple, one between the temple and the wall, and two behind the wall). Turning down the lights and bloom should also make the fog less intense. I'll tone down the bloom on the lanterns and tone down the sun too to try and make sure it doesn't steal the focal point from the temple (Maybe I can try to make sure that it's always at least partially covered by clouds) but I don't want to completely remove it if I can help it, since it's currently the basis of my scene lighting and I'd like to stick to the concept/source material. Setting suns usually aren't very bright anyway, and don't really have any bloom, I think it's just overdone right now. I'll try and reduce some of the clutter, maybe space out the rocks in the path more, push the foreground boulders closer to the sides, possibly make the grass less thick? Any suggestions on how to do that would be great. Anyway, thanks for the critique, I'll try to fix that stuff and should be back with something in a couple days.
  • Chandler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, so I tried to take all the advice as best I could, (Thanks again to Neil and Mitchell for the critique) I moved some things around, changed the lighting, reduced noise in my textures, made the fog more subtle, toned down the sun and the lanterns, etc. This is what I have right now.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ko8aBfh3RGg"]Temple Scene Progress 4/4/13 - YouTube[/ame]

VpgDhl4.jpg

There are still a few kinks I would like to work out lighting-wise, for example I want to make the grass get darker closer to the edges of the frame but the way my lighting is set up doesn't make that easy. But it's really all final polish stuff that I can have done in a day or two, so barring any big changes or critique, I'm probably going to be calling this done with the next update. Thanks guys!
  • Mstankow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Much better. If anything, I would just a little more fog cards over the mountain to push it further into the background as well as make it seem larger.

Also, you got a nasty tangent with that banner on the left and the tower. I would also suggest moving that red gate thingy on the right further to the right. It would look better slightly obscured by the foreground than the edges almost running into a tangent with that rock.

Then I would move on to a new project.
  • Chandler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MStankow- Thanks for pointing that stuff out, I didn't see your comment before this update, which will be my last one on Polycount, but I'll be sure to make those fixes before moving on.

So I'm calling this done.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMXOX8W7cM0"]UDK Temple Scene - YouTube[/ame]

dtHCmWX.jpg

Thanks to everyone who critiqued the scene, and I'll be back soon with something else!