Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Ka-Bar Knife portfolio piece

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
mnphear polycounter lvl 9
Hello guys!

Here is my Ka-bar knife i made for my portfolio.
It was modeled in Blender, and rendered in Marmoset.

Here are the renders:
kabar-fixed.jpg
jpg2.jpg

C&C are very welcome!

:):)

Replies

• Trage
    It looks good, I have a little advice for If its to go in an engine or not :)

I would question why the handle is so detailed then the blade has just 9 edges for the curve of the blade at the end, The shilloute is slightly Jaggy yet your handle is super detailed.

You could also quite easily get rid of all the detail in the model of the handle and bake it into the normal map, this could be done as a Lod level,

Also for the blade, you can get away with just duplicating one side of the blade for texturing, because theres literally no situation your should be able to see both sides of it at once.. (thats more of a texture saving tip for when your limited for texture space though..

Other than those querys, I'd say overall It looks and feels like a knife, the material on the blade looks a good mix between the matte "coated" area of the blade and the sharpened metal feel.
  • RedRogueXIII
    Offline / Send Message
    RedRogueXIII polycounter lvl 16
    Ka-Bar handles are not actually made out of wood, they are circular rings of leather compressed together : manufacturing process.

The white blade edge bigger than it should be, most of the blade will be the same dark treated metal. You have also missed the wavy grooves at the back of the blade. At the top of grip there is a transition to an angled planar surface that isn't present on your model.
  • mnphear
    Offline / Send Message
    mnphear polycounter lvl 9
    @Trage: Thanks for the comment! About the handle, i was trying to get the grooves in it because of the sillhuete, if the handle was just a couple of edge loops the grooves wouldnt be visible. And about the mirroring of the edge, i tried that but the bake was full of errors so i made it without the mirror :D

@RedRougeXII: Thank you for the link! I am aware that the handle is not made out of wood, but i kinda like the woody texture on the handle. I was not going for the 100% accurate model, but now i think on the next project i need to do more research. Thanks anyway!