Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Splash Damage Character Art Test- WIP

Hi,

I am working on the Splash Damage Character Art Test (http://www.splashdamage.com/content/character-art-test). I have just about finished up the high-poly sculpt and will be moving on to texturing. Any feedback/critique is appreciated. I am trying to finish this piece in a total of ten days. I started this project on 2/12/2013 so I only have a few days left before I send it in.

SplashDamageWIP.jpg

Replies

• DEDE_pig
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DEDE_pig polycounter lvl 8
    Some comments regarding ur sculpt.

The weight distribution on the jacket seems weird.

The hoody part seem fine but as you comparing with the fold on the forearms,
    It seem heavier than the rest.

Then as what i see from ur side view, the weighting of the material is different also. The front part seem alot tighter than the one at the back. Costing it to have this 'caught in the rain' feel to it.

not sure whether is this what you want cos is different from the concept art given.
  • praetor187
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetor187 polycounter lvl 11
    I agree with DEDE_pig, I think the biggest issue right now is its hard for me to tell what material your jacket is because of the number of folds. And the weight distribution on the arm is little weird to me because on one arm the jacket sleeve is nice and baggy, but on the other it feels much more tighter like its made of something else possibly (to me anyway). the shirt and stocking mask look great though :) I hope that helps.
  • teggs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well I adjusted the fabric on the jacket a bit by reducing the bagginess of one of the arms and flattening out some of the folds hopefully the fabric reads a bit more clearly. For the hoodie I am going for a windbreaker style hoodie that has a lighter weight nylon outer shell and a cotton lined inner shell.

I am going to work on the jacket some more and then I think I need to move on so I can get this piece "finished."

Thanks DEDE_pig and praetor187 for your feedback.

Here is the latest version of the Bob the Bank Robba:
    SplashDamageWIP1.jpg
  • David-J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    David-J polycounter lvl 11
    It's looking really good. No critiques so far, just keep it up. On another note, make sure you are not breaking any NDA's by making this thread.

cheers!
  • teggs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @David-J,

Thanks!

Since the art test is on their website and anyone with access to the internet can see it I do not think I am breaking any NDA's on this one. If the test had been sent directly to me that would be a different story but since it is in the public domain already I think I am in the clear on this one.

The character art test can be found here: http://www.splashdamage.com/content/character-art-test

Anyone who is interested in the character art position can take this same test.
  • teggs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well I finally finished this sculpt. There are definitely things I would like to improve but I am ready to move on to something new. I got really stuck on baking out the normal maps and ended up calling on a friend for some help troubleshooting the problems I was having. I had a stray uv that was causing me problems along with some problems with the face normals. So I kept getting weird anomalies on my normal map that looked like this:
    TMPwJUl.jpg

Final Sculpt:
    8MsZtgC.jpg
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Not bad so far, but the jacket reads like a black plastic trashbag.
  • dpadam450
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dpadam450 polycounter lvl 9
    Agreed about the trashbag. Leather doesn't have such high specular power. Specular intensity should be a lot less as well.

I think you still have too many wrinkles. If that is supposed to be leather, look up some real pics w/ people wearing leather jackets.

Just to be super picky, I don't know if any leather jackets that are brown/black actually have gray inside lining. Keep it black or a darker gray.
  • teggs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol... oh no... I was going for a nylon jacket look not leather. Something that looks more like these:
    img-thing?.out=jpg&size=l&tid=37729836
    33237NV-Fleece--Lined-Hooded-Nylon-Jacket_887.jpg

I know my spec map could use some more work but after the problems I had with the normal map I don't know if I have the patience to keep working on this piece at this time but I appreciate the critiques ScoobyDoofus and dpadam450.:)
  • fayesmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fayesmith polycounter lvl 7
    dpadam450 wrote: »
    If that is supposed to be leather

It's Nylon:

http://thisislavie.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/public-school-3-zip-nylon-jacket.jpg

I think it looks good, nylon does crease like hell when it's thinner. There's shiny and not-so-shiny types, perhaps the more muted one would read better to some people?

http://cdn11.my-wardrobe.com/images/products/5/5/559375/m1_559375.jpg

Edit: oh you just beat me to it! :P
  • teggs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol.... I guess nylon jackets can look a bit like trash bags with zippers and pull strings. Thanks for the comment fayesmith :)
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    For Nylon, I feel that it would be ~25% less glossy, as well as have some more color to the spec itself (or just not as 'white) as the highlights are now. Looking good though dude!
  • dpadam450
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In that case the spec power and intensity need to come down significantly. Both the posted ref images have no pure overbright white and none have focused specular spots.

Same with whatever is on his head. Is it a ski-mask? It looks like the same material as his jacket.
  • teggs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you everyone for your feedback! I went ahead and tweaked the spec map some more and also reworked some of the areas on my texture map. Hopefully the jacket reads more like it is made of nylon. Finding the right amount of shininess has been difficult. Too shiny and it looks like a trash bag. Not enough shine and it starts to look like a leather jacket.

Here is the update:
    teggs_splashtest_rework1.jpg
  • David-J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    David-J polycounter lvl 11
    I suggest you change your bg color to something other thank black. Can't read silhouette at the moment and some details are hard to see.
  • teggs
  • mr_ace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr_ace polycounter lvl 9
    his hands are pretty monstrous at the moment, fingers are incredibly long. For your render, you have a large view of the wireframe, but all the other shots are very small and its impossible to see any detail, they should be similarly sized to the wireframe shot
  • dpadam450
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • teggs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well I am calling this one complete. Thanks everyone for your feedback!

@mr_ace- I went ahead and made textured versions as large as the wireframe view. Also I tweaked the field of view settings in Marmoset which caused the perspective to be over exaggerated and his hands to look gigantic. Thank you for taking the time to give me some feedback.

@dpadam450. Thanks :)

teggs_splashtest_rework.jpg
  • AlanSMitchell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlanSMitchell polycounter lvl 14
    looking good! good luck