Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Dino assignment

Hi everyone

For a university based assignment the objective is to create a model of a dinosaur. I was looking for some pointer's and views and would be grateful for any help given.

The dinosaur chosen for the assignment is a Carnotaurus with images below showing the anatomy of the dinosaur.

research_zps43bcc424.jpg

Base mesh

dino2_zps9cb74060.png

Dino4_zpsd698c3f9.png

Dino3_zpsafe1a910.png

Dino1_zps54f7a8e3.png

Sculpting

After creating the base mesh the model was imported into z brush for sculpting at this stage the only things added was a little muscle definition and large aesthetic features such as the spikes on the back.

Dinoside_zpsc945358c.jpg

dinofront_zpsfdb23909.png

dinobehind_zpsa8697bac.png

Replies

• jfeez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jfeez polycounter lvl 8
    The base mesh (from side ortho) seems to be okay, the front view however needs some work, but id fix this in zb. I would try to avoid triangles in the base mesh, just to avoid pinching when subding the model in zb, I would go back and erect a proper base mesh before thrusting it into mudbrush. Some of the proportions are off; the snout is too short, it should be longer and the horns look more like ears, they are quite flaccid. The arms need work, they seem broken atm, and they wouldn’t lean back like that at that point, looking at the bone structure of this dino, there is only one bone in the arm as well.

The muscle definition atm doesn’t really exist. You seem to have just dropped in and added high rez detail prematurely, the neck and head currently resembles something rather phallic. For skin improvement I would drop down to the lowest or second lowest and add some form and shapes to dem der musclez. You need to add in the landmarks from the bones, the clavicle/hips and spine are the main ones. You may want to go back to some of your references, make them more consistent. These can be hard to find, but the at the climax it will be most certainly worth the time, effort and energy. I would also look at how other people have tackled dino so you get a firm grasp on these things. Primal Carnage is a good example.

The feet are really muddy, but with some muscle definition and some boner structure should help with that. The back spikes should probably be separate subtools instead of just being pulled out with the move brush. Dam_Standard brush will be your friend when you come to do the skin folds. I’m excited to see what you whip out next =)

Some good reference for you
    carnotaurus-sculpt-closeup.jpg
    13999.jpg
    5763261299524401.jpg
  • 02jdavies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the input.

• 02jdavies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the input.

I have attempted more sculpting on the model while more work needs to be done some details were added.

So far more definition to the body shape has been attempted as well as scales on certain sections. The spikes on the back are now a separate sub tool and more detail was included around the head.

dino1side_zpscd593f04.jpg

dino1front_zpsa645cc84.jpg

dino1bottom_zpsbb9b8fd4.jpg

dino1top_zpsb337089d.jpg

dino2bottom_zps3ac03d96.jpg

dino2front_zps440163f3.jpg

dino2side_zpse3357f6c.jpg

dinobehind_zps880eeb77.jpg

dino2top_zps5baa5f8a.jpg
  • The_Blenderer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The muscle structure on the calf seems strange, like it is too narrow, which may seem ok from orthographic sideview but not very realistic from perspective I think (in respect to the skeleton and the reference provided above).

Suggested Creature leg muscle structure to search in Google images:
    Lizard leg muscles
    Bird Leg muscles
    Dog Leg muscles

All yield reference results that might help you better understand the shape.

For the rest it might benefit you to look at the skeleton and imagine how the dinosaur muscle structure sits on it.
    Since its a dinosaur there are no absolute right or wrong, all they find of it are puzzle skeletons but it is best to make things as believable as possible I think

Hope this helps
  • 02jdavies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the input.
    I have tried to change some areas of the sculpt and wanted to try polypainting it any views of the colours scheme or suggestions would be appreciated the eye is left blank for the moment because that will be textured in photoshop later.
    dinocolourside_zpsac9613ca.jpg

dinocolourback_zpsd720e378.jpg

dinocolourfront_zps86fdd495.jpg
  • 02jdavies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi all
    I have been putting the dino into the engine to see what it looks like here are some screens of it.
    UDKdinoside_zps1a891b33.jpg

UDKdinobehind_zps36af6cb4.jpg

UDKdinofront_zps959df095.jpg

UDKdinotop_zpsf6055475.jpg

There are animations applied to the mesh but at this point they are not working for some reason even though both are blended in the animtree only one animation runs through I don't know why if anyone has any thoughts i would be grateful.