Home General Discussion

Proper Ways to Study? (Not as stupid as it sounds?) :|

kinggambitben
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
kinggambitben polycounter lvl 4
Sorry for such a naive post. I'm a newbie to 3d. :\ I'm planning on a regiment of 8-10 hours of tutorials/practice a day for about 2-3 years, but I want those hours to be as efficient as possible since I'm pretty late to the game art scene (I'm 22 years old). :(

What I noticed when learning other things (i.e. skateboarding, competitive gaming, drawing) is that hours invested could be drastically cut by "properly learning"; grinding out hours doesn't necessarily mean optimized, though I'm sure there's a correlation.

For experienced folks, were there any "scientific" methods of learning you've applied to your education as you became more experienced in 3d packages? (or were there things in retrospect that you wish you would've done when learning?) Any special exercises?

A very obvious example is that once I'm competent, I plan on giving myself exercises of time limits and fidelity of creations based on others' concept art.

Replies

• mikhga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mikhga polycounter lvl 8
    One time management technique you could use is the "pomodoro technique", which basically comes down to working in 25 minute sprints and after each sprint taking a 5 minute break. I can personally vouch for it's effectiveness. There are several ways to exercise this technique but I used a desktop application called "Tomighty" (http://www.tomighty.org/).

This will not only give make you more focused on your sprints but also give you a better understanding of how long certain tasks will take you.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Post stuff for critique often, if you are doing something the "wrong" way it's like hitting a wall that slows down progress and learning. There's too many tricks and tips for any 3d project to list. Always search for any issues your having and check the wiki. If you do not see a solution try asking people on the forum, also feel free to PM me if you are having any particular issues, but please at least try searching for a solution first. If you feel like there should be an easier way to do something, there probably is.
  • pixelb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelb greentooth
    Mikhga, thanks for sharing the pomodoro thing. I noticed I've been more productive working in 30 minutes sprints too, timing myself with my iphone. I didn't realize there was a name (or a goofy novelty timer) to go with the technique.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    A good university gives you background knowledge so you can develop a deeper understanding of what you do. Keep this in mind when choosing study objects. I.e. if you want to dig into ZBrush sculting then it wouldn't hurt to add in some art history - read up on e.g. Bernini or Michelangeo. Also learn about techniques when sculpting with real materials such as clay - many techniques are mirrored in ZBrush tools and workflows. Learn not just about how to do something, learn about the art and history behind it. Have a plan, stick to it - i.e. make your own curriculum and set verifiable goals for yourself.

When deciding on projects, try new stuff you haven't done before. Find problems that need solving, rather than just tasks that need doing. You want something where you can experiment, where failure is an option (we all learn best from our mistakes), something that really offers a challenge and allows you to grow.

Find a mentor, someone who can act as your teacher. Not necessarily teaching you anything, but someone who can offer advice, criticism, or direct your focus on what matters. Someone who provides an external perspective to your self study.
  • Velktri
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Velktri polycounter lvl 6
    I want those hours to be as efficient as possible since I'm pretty late to the game art scene (I'm 22 years old).

I'd argue that 20-24 is around about the ideal time to start. (I was 21) If I remember back when I was 16-18, I only did things because that's what I was told to do my whole life as opposed to me telling myself to do things. If I tried game art at 16 I probably would have given up 2 weeks later because of the lack of self discipline.

Also, I'd suggest subscribing to a 3D streaming site like 3D motive or digital tutors. Most of these places have learning paths so you can learn material in an organized fashion. This can also help you find a focus. You may find that you really like animating or lighting more than what you originally considered your passion. But as Kwramm said " have a plan and stick to it". Don't be that guy who graduated with a degree in general studies and 12 unrelated minors.
  • Nick Carver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nick Carver polycounter lvl 10
    Try to focus on art fundamentals as much (maybe more) than application-specific techniques. You can learn the tools relatively quickly, but what takes more effort is understanding the artistic principles that make something pleasing to the eye and then representing that with a 3d model. Your education should be about developing your critical faculties as well as about learning to construct models, bake normal maps etc. One mistake that I made early on was that I focused heavily on learning to build characters and paint textures without really paying enough attention to studying anatomy, or to the principles of light and colour, for example. It wasn't until a couple of years later that I really started to try and improve my fundamental skills through drawing and painting that I began to understand the building blocks of good art and how to apply that to my CG work.

Also, when you work on a piece, particularly from reference, try to be as analytical as possible. It's very easy to just copy what's in front of you without really understanding what's going on. Deconstructing a subject and analyzing it fully (in terms of proportion, composition, shape language, colour usage etc.) as you work on it is a really important skill that will make you a better, more well-rounded artist.

Above all, enjoy the learning process. Don't be in too much of a hurry and don't set yourself unrealistic goals. If you work on achievable tasks and try to constantly evaluate how you're doing and how you can improve then you will make progress quickly, I'm sure.
  • kinggambitben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kinggambitben polycounter lvl 4
    Thanks for the rich feedback!
    I am looking forward to my education. :D